Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New guy, totally overwhelmed!

Milleniumking

Hello all!

Im new to the world of digital amp modelling, actually I havent received my gear yet. I have a couple of questions...

I am getting a Helix LT and an ART SLA 1 power amp, I have a 4x12 Marshall cab.

-should this setup be ok for starters?

-i read somewhere about IR's, how does this effect the cab that I have?

I plan to run this setup..

Guitar---helix---power amp---- cab. Will this work?

Apologies for the questions, but I have been an analogue amp guy for ages so this new stuff is overwhelming!

Thanx in advance

Firstly, and I’m not saying this in a patronizing manner at all, breathe. You’ll get it figured out.

If you plan on using your Marshall 412 Cab, forget about IRs. The cab itself will take care of that.

The setup you’ve described should work perfectly well. However, if the power amp is stereo, read the manual and see if it can be set to mono bridged mode as that cab is mono even if it happens to have two input jacks. You do not want to simply plug a stereo power amp’s outputs into a mono cab. That said, you may also want to experiment with plugging the Helix into a powered speaker as this, imho, is the best way to use the Helix‘s full potential.

Welcome to it - you DO have a bit of a curve ahead of you.  You'll get it sorted, have some patience...

As noted above - if you're going to use an actual power amp & speaker cab you won't need (or probably want) to have the Helix cabs as part of a patch.  Easily done, just choose "Amp Only" or even "Preamp" versions of the various models - which is better is a matter of taste, try both and see.  But plenty of folks doing it that way, you won't be alone.

You won't need the cab models or IRs when using an external real cabinet. That works great live. Keep in mind that if you listen to your sound on headphones on the Helix phones out jack, you will be hearing your signal path without a cab/IR so it will sound harsh. If you want to take your sound to a DAW for straight into the mixer, you will need to add in a cab model or IR. 

Thanx for the help so far, so basically an IR is like a "fake cab"? Basically putting a load on the helix so that it thinks there is a cab?

no, it actually just creates the sound of the mic'd cab .. so if you're going direct to recording or to a p.a load a cab or IR .. in your case leave it out as you are using a real speaker.. it isn't functioning as a load box

Thanx for the help so far, so basically an IR is like a "fake cab"? Basically putting a load on the helix so that it thinks there is a cab?

Just to add a bit of clarification.  Modeling is more than just modeling an amp.  Just like in the real world the signal path created in the Helix consists of a modeled amp (such as a Peavey, or Marshall, or Fender Twin etc.), a modeled cabinet with speakers (such as a 4 x 12 Marshall cabinet with Celestion speakers, or a 2 x12 open back cab with Alnico speakers, etc.), as well as a modeled microphone and it's position on the cabinet to pick up the sound and send it to the PA or to the recording console (such a Shure SM57 or a Royer R-121 ribbon mic, etc).  To many of us, it's ALL of these components together that allow us to have great flexibility in creating an accurate model of the sound we want.

The reason a lot of people choose to use FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) speakers like an Alto 212 or a Yamaha DXR 12, or any number of others with the Helix is that they add very little coloration to the sound so the realistic representation of all of these components modeled amp -> modeled cab/IR -> modeled mic gets produced accurately.  When using a standard traditional cabinet such as  your Marshall 4x12, you're already providing the coloration of the cabinet and speakers for the modeled amp, so adding a modeled speaker and mic would simply add additional layers of coloration and wouldn't be an accurate representation of the real thing.

so in saying all this.. if you have helix and your set-up you'll have use of the fx and amps in helix, with your physical cab/ speakers.. if you want to make use of the cabs in helix or use IR's,and all the different colours and options of tone that brings , then you are best to go for fr/fr powered speakers

One thing to try, with your setup, is to get your sound without the IRs or cabs. Then actually start adding cabs. In earlier Line 6 modelers I would do this. A way to think about it is you're just adding an interesting EQ curve to the sound. About 2/3 of the time it will suck. But every now and then you will be pleasantly surprised. Just another way to have sonic fun with this. You will quickly go through a variety of characters of sounds. This is to be tried more when you're in the mood to experiment and not when you're trying to get the perfect sound.

• Upvote 1

Hello all!

Im new to the world of digital amp modelling, actually I havent received my gear yet. I have a couple of questions...

I am getting a Helix LT and an ART SLA 1 power amp, I have a 4x12 Marshall cab.

If I can make just one suggestion - keep it simple. You have a Marshall 4/12. So begin with a Marshall head (whichever suits your style, from JTM-45 to 2204 via Plexi). Like others have said, no cab model necessary as you are using the real thing.

Treat the model amp just like the real thing. Play around with it. Get a feel for what it can do.

Then - only if you want - you might add a bit more oomph by putting a Tube Screamer in front of the amp. A bit of reverb at the end of the signal chain and hopefully you've created a solid, basic, usable first patch.

Now pick another head and do it again...

Leave all the fancy stuff alone until you've got the basic 1, 2, 3 at the core of your patches sorted out.

And of course, enjoy yourself hugely in the process.

I highly recommend this video to everyone, especially newbies (like me).  

This keeps the process relatively simple, but also draws on real-world experience with tube amps and in the studio...  there is a part 2 as well that dives even deeper into Cabs and Mics...