Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Playback A Recorded File And Add A New Instrument

hi
if I have recorded a song with 3 tracks - can I not Play it with the internal Player and record and add a new track?

This is much easyer than add the new track on the Computer because there I have to syncronise it if I had not started at the same time as the playback.

thanks a lot for your help

• Upvote 1

No - unfortunately the M20d can't be used to overdub new tracks mixed in with old. The RECORD function creates a whole new recording of all channels; inactive channels result in an empty WAV file.

The latency in the M20d (the need to synchronize as you describe it) is why the M20d is not a good audio interface for recording. It's designed to record a dry signal for all active channels, plus the stereo mix output. The intention is that you then import all these dry signals into your DAW and do the post-processing using DAW plugins.

Hi there,

you can overdub one or more tracks using an SD-Card and a USB-Stick at the same time, but the method is a bit clumsy - the complete procedure has been posted in the "old forum" some weeks ago, but it seems the old posts cannot be accessed anymore (?).

Anyway, in short, first you record the basic tracks to the SD-Card (must be class 10), using the option for recording single tracks AND stereo sum as well; then you play back the stereo sum only on the media player, routed via two monitor outputs into two inputs of your choice using patch cables, and record your overdub(s) to the usb-stick, including the stereo sum of your basic tracks as a reference for further editing in your DAW.

Obviously, the stagescape M20d, being a mixer, wasn't designed for overdub recording, but it can be done nonetheless;

if you have any questions concerning the details (eg, manipulating the input volume levels), please post again!

-aew

• Upvote 1

you can overdub one or more tracks using an SD-Card and a USB-Stick at the same time, but the method is a bit clumsy - the complete procedure has been posted in the "old forum" some weeks ago, but it seems the old posts cannot be accessed anymore (?).

Yes, I remember that post of yours in the old forum. Here it is:

http://line6.com/support/message/425684#425684

Very useful info - thanks for sharing.