Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix headphone output with IEMs

tourultimate

I’m looking at getting some high end IEMs for stage use. Potentially something like Ultimate Ear 7 pros. I think they only have an impedance of like 17ohms. I would also like some nice headphones for use with my helix but would be hard to swing the cash for both. Would the IEMs work well with the headphone output of the helix?

These are an example of something I might be considering at some point: http://pro.ultimateears.com/products/custom-monitors/for-stage/ue-7-pro

Thanks!

I’m looking at getting some high end IEMs for stage use. Potentially something like Ultimate Ear 7 pros. I think they only have an impedance of like 17ohms. I would also like some nice headphones for use with my helix but would be hard to swing the cash for both. Would the IEMs work well with the headphone output of the helix?

Yes. I use Shure 535 IEMs with my Helix and they sound great! You'll probably have to get an adapter because most IEMs don't have a quarter inch jack. But that's the only thing you need to be concerned with. Have fun!

I use IEMs with my Helix (Westone AM Pro 20).  I also use a cable from Rock On Audio that's basically an instrument cable and headphone extension wrapped in one cable housing.  On the Helix end it has a 1/4" TR for the instrument and 1/4" TRS for the headphones.  On the instrument end there's a 1/8" female near the end that the headphones plug in to.  Keeps cable clutter down if you aren't wireless.

I can also affirm that the Helix sounds great with Shure SE-530 IEMs. The SE530 have a Sensitivity of 119 dB/mW, and a rated Impedance of 36 Ohms. I also have Sony MDR-V6 headphones (119 dB/mW, and a rated Impedance of 36 Ohms) and BeyerDynamic DT770 250 ohm headphones, both of which sound great with the Helix. Each is differently voiced.

I mostly use over-the-ears for dialing tones in, just to reduce any direct guitar sound. I play a mix of acoustic and electric, so it’s more an issue with the acoustic. The Westones I have are designed to let a lot of outside sound in; they aren’t isolation IEMs. I don’t like that isolation playing live.

The Westones I have are designed to let a lot of outside sound in; they aren’t isolation IEMs. I don’t like that isolation playing live.

You'd change your mind if you ever played in an airplane hangar. I tour with a band that plays a lot of events for the military and sometimes the venue is a hangar. I first started appreciating isolating IEMs when I realized that you can hear a decent sounding mix in a room that sounds like crap. What the crowd hears is another story, but there's no accounting for the venues some folks choose to have a live band play in.

Are they generally good enough to dial in patches with?

Thanks!

I use the humble Shure 215. I can say this. They are GREAT to dial in patches with. They are better than headphones. With headphones, I have to make all kinds of adjustments, when I dial in patches with IEMs, I don't need to tweak them later with the band.

You'd change your mind if you ever played in an airplane hangar. I tour with a band that plays a lot of events for the military and sometimes the venue is a hangar. I first started appreciating isolating IEMs when I realized that you can hear a decent sounding mix in a room that sounds like crap. What the crowd hears is another story, but there's no accounting for the venues some folks choose to have a live band play in.

Sorry, had to...

Sorry, had to...

Ha, ha! Classic! I saw that film when it first came out in the theaters with a buddy/band-mate of mine and he ended up becoming Spinal Tap's keyboard player a few years later. And that led to him becoming the music director/producer of all of the Christopher Guest (Nigel) movies. 

"This is Spinal Tap" has got to be the most quotable musician's movie in history!

Ha, ha! Classic! I saw that film when it first came out in the theaters with a buddy/band-mate of mine and he ended up becoming Spinal Tap's keyboard player a few years later. And that led to him becoming the music director/producer of all of the Christopher Guest (Nigel) movies. 

"This is Spinal Tap" has got to be the most quotable musician's movie in history!

I also saw it in the theater... first run... wow... over 30 years ago!

I use the SE215 as well and they work great, just as Peter said above.  I have a slightly less nifty solution than the Rock On cable mentioned, simply a headphone extension cable wire tied to an instrument cable every 10".  The only thing I'd considered adding is a belt pack amp so that I had a volume control on me, rather than on the floor.