Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Guitar Tuner

guitaramj

1 hour ago, jacobmilton said:

I just don't want anymore hardware. I'm mentioning this cause it would be an easy fix for L6. I like the tuner. I just wanna have more "turn on" options.

As I mentioned above. Isn't it pretty obvious to have some kind of live mode for the display? I mean, who looks at the signal chain while playing? You can use the display for better things in a live situation.

Having a way to turn the tuner on instantly is at least technically feasible. Whether or not it will ever happen, I don't know. As far as having the tuner be constantly active, I don't think that's a possibility because the tuner itself uses some amount of DSP. So it could potentially break some existing presets by pushing them over the DSP limit.

7 hours ago, spikey said:

Someone suggested putting a tuner in the editor...

6 hours ago, datacommando said:

I don’t think that will ever catch on - shame. ;-)

Good idea! I mean this product is so versatile but they could definitely work on the flexibility of the tuner.

Everything in this recording goes through the Helix. It's an excellent product.

31 minutes ago, PeterHamm said:

Tuner in the editor? When EVERY TIME you use the editor you have the actual unit RIGHT THERE?!?!?!

No.

It's not important for me but on the other hand why not? He definitely got a point.

By the way. Thanks for your input on different subjects. I've been reading your comments and it's been super helpful.

I had some ideas about tuner availability. What do you think? I'll paste it below.

"Hey!

I'm so grateful for the Helix. Makes my life so much easier. Been playing for 20 years and it's just a blessing.

I have one wish for the Helix and it's regarding the tuner in a live situation. I'll try to put words on what I mean here:

I would like to access the tuner instantly. I've been thinking about this and from my perspective I see three possible ways.

• Add a choice to make the tap/tuner button engage the tuner when I push it once. Yes, I loose the tap function.
  • Add the tuner as a possible block that I can put in the signal chain wherever I want.
  • Add a "live-mode" where the tuner and the name of the preset is visible at all times.

When I had my old pedal bord I used a switcher and one button sent my signal to the tuner, that of course was on at all times.

I also used that as a "mute effect" making me absolutely quiet instantly.

You guys are geniuses so I know you'll figure something out. If this would be added I would be so happy!"

59 minutes ago, PeterHamm said:

Tuner in the editor? When EVERY TIME you use the editor you have the actual unit RIGHT THERE?!?!?!

No.

24 minutes ago, jacobmilton said:

It's not important for me but on the other hand why not? He definitely got a point.

NEENER NEENER NEENER!!!! ; ) 

6 hours ago, PeterHamm said:

No.

5 hours ago, spikey said:

NEENER NEENER NEENER!!!! ; ) 

It's not a life changer for me, but I have to say after hearing Spikey mention it 3 million times, dismissing it the first 1 million, but then thinking about it over time . . . I kind of agree.

I'm a Stomp user, so maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm often in snapshots mode and the tuner isn't as easy to bring up, but I think part of it is also that once you start working on one screen you largely want to stay there. Having HX Edit include ALL of what you'd like to see is just easier and nicer.

It's a first world problem, yeah . . . it might not even qualify as a first world problem, but it would be a nice feature. 

• 3 years later...
On 8/2/2023 at 4:11 PM, fazz1977 said:

The HX tuner is NOT accurate... not even close, it's sharp, hence why my pitchblack stays on my bass board.

Mine is on my Helix. Are you talking about the HX Effects? I know the Helix has three different modes for the tuner. There's fine, coarse and strobe. Strobe works best for me. The Helix manual mentions a couple of things which may apply to you. The first one applies to bass. These are from page 44 of the Helix manual. I do not know if this is in the HX Effects manual.

Choose between three Tuner types: Fine (color-changing, needle tuner with fine-tuning bar, the default), Coarse (color-changing needle tuner with no fine-tuning bar), or Strobe. The Tuner accurately tunes notes down to 21.83 Hz (low F) for 5-string basses.

This one could at least take care of the issue

Some guitarists feel that tuning certain strings slightly sharp or flat in relation to concert tuning can improve intonation. String offsets calibrate the tuner so that these slightly out-of-tune pitches appear as in tune. String 6 is low E, and String 1 is high E. Tuning offsets won’t be applied unless Knob 6 (Offsets) on Page 1 is turned on.

I have no idea if this is in the HX Effects manual so I don't know if it will apply.

The tuner is actually pretty normal and reliable without any issues, if you use any tuner mode other than "Fine", which provides an unnecessary level of precision, making it unusable in most situations.

First of all...  It's physically impossible for your strings to be 100% in tune all the time as the tuning fluctuates with how hard you attack the string.  It goes sharp, then flat.  This gets even more noticeable if you really attack the string (think "Helter Skelter" low E string going 1/4 tone sharp).  With guitars, one string can affect other strings' tuning due to neck flexing, floating bridge, etc.  Then you start playing, your strings warm up and they go flat.  AC kicks in, your strings go sharp.  You play guitar guitar for a  couple songs and crud/sweat/dead skin gets on the strings, they go sharp. 

When I first got the Helix, the "Fine" tuner was so jumpy, it was unusable for me.  It was so erratic, chaotic that I would not be able to ever get my strings to show dead-center at all, no matter what I did.  Well, had I spent a full minute tuning each string... and then once I tuned the other strings the first string would be out again.  I thought I'd need to get a separate tuner, until I realized that I do not need this level of tuning precision -- hence "Coarse" mode. 

"Coarse" one is the same as "Fine" but without the 2nd row, so it's not as jumpy.  So it shows you the usable ballpark of how in tune you are.  Ballpark, meaning there's no surgical precision, which is again pretty useless when you don't have a full day to tune your guitar.  It works very well for me in studio and live on stage when I play my 2.5 hour shows without breaks.  There are several points in our set list when I have a few seconds to check my tuning, so I do that around 5-6 times.

On 8/3/2023 at 10:23 AM, theElevators said:

First of all...  It's physically impossible for your strings to be 100% in tune all the time as the tuning fluctuates with how hard you attack the string.  It goes sharp, then flat.  This gets even more noticeable if you really attack the string …

Yes. First thing I did with my Variax JTV-59 was swap out the jumbo frets for normal size. Perhaps I have a heavy touch, but with the jumbo frets I could not play a chord and remain in tune with any open strings in the chord. Any string pressed down to the fretboard made the note sharp.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 1:13 PM, jayhauxwell said:

how on earth can i use my helix to tune to sharp # .it will show flat b on the screen but not sharp.

C# is the same as Db... etc... so just figure out what the flat equivalent is of what you want to tune.

• Upvote 1