Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Floor as interface so why buy Native?

rayttk

Hi guys I have a Helix floor and have been using to as the interface to my window 10 PC (usually only for an hour or 2 after I update the Helix)

So why should I bother with Native?

The only reason I can think of is it would be less hassle bringing my Helix to the desk and setting it up but that would also mean I would have to buy a new interface to link to my PC although I do have an old Line 6 Guitarport maybe that would work.

Cheers.

If your main focus is using Helix as a guitar pedal, you may be just as happy to cable it to your computer via USB for recording. There are advantages to this method, my favorite being that you have zero latency (lag) in what you're hearing through your Helix while you track guitar parts. A second advantage comes into play if your computer is already bogging down a bit when you record with certain plug-ins — Helix Native certainly won't improve that situation. 

There are pros and cons on both sides of the fence, you'll have to weight them. I'd experiment with using your pedal, then download a Native trial and experiment with that. Then you can make a good decision.

I use Helix floor with a rough correct but inspiring sound when recording, but I only record the dry track and then duplicate the floor patch in Native. It is brilliant that you can then edit that patch after tracking to make it fit the track. For example I will record several takes and then use the best two parts but with different sounds.

Its working great for me using Logic. Follow manual instructions for Helix to assign parameter to a knob or switch first, then use your DAW automation as usual. Not sure about Tracktion.

I did follow the instructions for assigning parameters to a knob or switch. I am either missing something or it is not working with T6. Glad to hear it is working with Logic though. I will keep at it. Thanks for the response.

Ok so fate has decided for me, because one of the bosses at work threw away a row of old lockers one of which contained my guitar port.

So I’m new to DAW and I’m trying to learn Reaper, superior drums and how best to implement helix native.

So far I have managed to use Helix floor as my interface and recorded guitar tracks with my pre made patches and I have used a new blank patch and then used native for the amps etc both sound good, but long term I think a small interface would be better for me because I have the Helix floor elsewhere and it is hassle taking it to my desk top ,

Any tips on how you guys record would be greatly appreciated.

@rayttk - First you gotta buy a good two-channel audio interface for your computer. You will be able to plug your mic and guitar into it for high-quality tracks. There are lots of good affordable interfaces ... read reviews. Buying used will save you a lot of money as long as the used interface is in decent shape. Learn how to hook it up and use it.

Learn Reaper, use the forum to ask questions. Watch youtube videos .... its a great way to learn how to use a DAW, interfaces and plug-ins.

Helix Native? Record your raw guitar tracks with Reapers buffer size as low as it can handle without crackling noises, use software monitoring to listen while you record. Tweak your guitar tones afterwards, adjust your buffer size as you add more tracks or virtual instruments. Rinse and repeat.

buffer size as low as it can handle without crackling noises, 

Between crackling noise and latency causing unwanted reverb, my Native experience hasn't been good, so far. I use a Presonus Audio Box 22VSL into Mixcraft 8. The lowest I can get latency down to is 20ms. I need to find a better way to monitor playback I think. I've been using headphones out of the Presonus, but it's not cutting it.

My laptop is pretty decent, a Velocity Micro with Intel Core I7 2.6ghz, 16mb ram and Win10 Home 64bit.

I did follow the instructions for assigning parameters to a knob or switch. I am either missing something or it is not working with T6. Glad to hear it is working with Logic though. I will keep at it. Thanks for the response.

Works like a charm in FL Studio as well. Though that isn't really any surprise as FL Studio has the most robust, and powerful automation implementation of all the DAWs. It really is one of the most underrated DAWs for anything "other than" dance/house/hardcore/trance etc. (it definitely isn't underrated in those categories)

Once you have that assigned to a knob/switch you then automated the assigned knob/switch. You do not directly automate the parameter itself.

Works like a charm in FL Studio as well. Though that isn't really any surprise as FL Studio has the most robust, and powerful automation implementation of all the DAWs. It really is one of the most underrated DAWs for anything "other than" dance/house/hardcore/trance etc. (it definitely isn't underrated in those categories)

Once you have that assigned to a knob/switch you then automated the assigned knob/switch. You do not directly automate the parameter itself.

Thanks. I can get it to work in FL Studio with no problem. Just having no luck with Tracktion T6. If anyone figures out the procedure please post it up. Tracktion T6 is a free unlimited DAW btw from the Traction website.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t6-daw

• 3 weeks later...

I use Helix rack as my interface as well. I have a blank usb setting for when I'm running native. The beauty of the plugin is that the affected sound can be made totally dry. This is handy for re-amping later in the studio or whatever the engineer wants to change, add, etc later on. This helps you to get the sound you feel comfortable with but can still be changed later. Or you can try many different amp sounds/affects after you recorded your guitar.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

...what ever is easier for you. I personally think it works better to record a dry track using your Floor unit so you can monitor the amp/FX without a hit on your DAW during recording, then tweak your dry track later using Helix Native. Plus the hardware unit has A/D and impedance tweaked for geetars.

Would you guys use/record a dry patch from helix floor to then use Native for the final mix? or record with a pre made patch in helix floor and use the usb7/8 for dry reamp source?

I would record with a patch, plus the dry signal for re amping later. I play much better with effects that are close to what I'm looking for, but would want the option to change things later.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Monitoring latency is a problem when recording, especially if you have lots of other tracks with lots of plugins active at the same time. There are things that can be done like pre-rendering all the tracks prior to recording, but depending on how you work, that may be a serious buzz kill. It is for me. So what I like to do is run a standalone instance of S-Gear (or Guitar Rig 5) and I monitor the guitar from there while I simultaneously record the guitar in Reaper to a track with Helix Native plugged in. The latency is pretty much non-existent from the standalone and I get a reasonable approximation of the tone I want for monitoring. This is the main reason why I'd love a standalone app for Helix. All the vst hosts I've tried are far more hassle to set up and run compared to a standalone app.

Monitoring latency is a problem when recording, especially if you have lots of other tracks with lots of plugins active at the same time. There are things that can be done like pre-rendering all the tracks prior to recording, but depending on how you work, that may be a serious buzz kill. It is for me. So what I like to do is run a standalone instance of S-Gear (or Guitar Rig 5) and I monitor the guitar from there while I simultaneously record the guitar in Reaper to a track with Helix Native plugged in. The latency is pretty much non-existent from the standalone and I get a reasonable approximation of the tone I want for monitoring. This is the main reason why I'd love a standalone app for Helix. All the vst hosts I've tried are far more hassle to set up and run compared to a standalone app.

Amen, brother. I've even resorted to bouncing all my tracks except guitar (Logic Pro X), then using a new project with the bounced track and a single track for Logic Pro X for recording, software monitoring with as low latency as possible. This works OK, less than 10ms latency, but its a pain. After the dry track is done, though, all is fair sailing for mixing and messing with guitar tone.