Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Brand new to Helix - device not found

Evil_Patrick

Just got the delivery of my first Helix. It came with 2.21 and I've blown a good 3 hours trying to jump though various hoops to  upgrade to 2.3

I followed the instructions found here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/18284-latest-helix-firmware-230%E2%80%94nov-21-2017/

Specifically, the instructions in GREEN, as they seemed to apply to me.

My computer system is a Windows 7.

After downloading and installing, which seems to work, neither the HX Edit nor the Line6 Updater sees (via USB) the connected, brand new Helix.

I have gone through multiple Installs and uninstalls of the Line6 Helix bundles, with multiple reboots after each. I have powered down the Helix, waited 30+ seconds, powered it back up, and restarted one or the other of the applications (HX Edit or Line6 Updater) but they always give error messages stating that the device is not connected. Well, it is connected. I have unplugged the USB (gives the familiar "disconnect" tone on the Windows system) and plugged it back in (and get that familiar "connected" tone on the Windows system). I have used the Device Manager and can positively see that there is a "HELIX" device now connected to the system.

At one point, I loaded the previous rev of the Line6 Updater and it actually saw the device connected. I then cleaned off the 2.3 HX Edit and downloaded and installed the previous rev of HX Edit, but no....still can't see the connected device. Arg!

I've watched a nice help video, but it offered no hints for my particular issue.

Since there are Line6 instructions that tell users to "Use their existing HX Edit to back up presets", it seems that the use-case for new owners (those without an existing HX Edit) might have been skipped....or not tested? I don't know.

Can someone please explain how to get over this hurdle?

Thanks in advance!

Did you have everything working properly with version 2.21?

The update does not replace the old Helix Edit app. This has to be removed manually. Are you trying to use the old Helix Edit app? Make sure you are using the new Helix Editor.

The Helix updater won't see your Helix if any other Line 6 software is running.  You have to make sure you're completely out of everything like Line6 monkey and others, etc.  Once you do this the updater will recognize your Helix.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

What if I have a new computer to replace my crashed one. and my Helix floor has 2.5 installed, what do I download to new computer to get it compatible with the Helix? Telling me to download the editor doesnt tell me anything. There are 30 or so versions in the download table. If some can tell me Excatly what to download onto my compter that would be great.Thanks

What if I have a new computer to replace my crashed one. and my Helix floor has 2.5 installed, what do I download to new computer to get it compatible with the Helix? Telling me to download the editor doesnt tell me anything. There are 30 or so versions in the download table. If some can tell me Excatly what to download onto my compter that would be great.Thanks

Update: Just noticed you already have the 2.50 firmware installed so you can ignore the bits of this regarding upgrading the firmware. All you need is HX Edit 2.51 on your new PC and you should be good to go.

First get backups if you can. Uninstall any previous Helix software. Download and install HX Edit 2.51 for the Helix and your OS version(Windows 7). This will unpack the 2.51 version of the editor(HX Edit) as well as the Line6 Updater and the Windows driver. You will notice that there is also a 2.52 HX Edit version in the Downloads page but that was intended for the 2.52 version of the firmware which was pulled from the site due to some people having serious installation issues. The latest version of 2.52 may run fine with the latest available firmware(2.50) but that is not what was originally intended and personally I would not use it yet. Whatever you do, do NOT download the Updater and firmware separately. You want only HX Edit 2.51 which you will use the Updater from to update to the 2.50 firmware.

Now that you have HX Edit 2.51 installed bring up the editor(HX Edit) and if it can see your Helix try to get a full backup(from under the File menu). If not you can still proceed although if anything goes seriously wrong and you don't have prior backups you might be starting from scratch. The new update procedure does retain your old setlists and presets but if anything goes wrong, well you know the score.  Anyway, you can now proceed to closing the editor and opening the Line6 Updater. Update to the 2.50 firmware following all instructions. HX Edit 2.51 currently matches the 2.50 firmware.

IMPORTANT Note: The 2.52 version of the HX Edit package includes several bug fixes including one where the external amp switching is not working properly in the 2.50 version of the firmware. The fixed 2.52 firmware is probably coming out today or if not within the next couple of days according to those who are in the know(not me). The 2.52 HX Edit will be matched probably to a 2.52 version of the firmware unless Line6 changes the versioning. If you want to wait until today or even the next few days to see how others fare with the upcoming update(quite possibly coming today) you may avoid a second update in short order by not upgrading yet. However, if you want to get your Editor and firmware synched up right now the strategy listed in the first paragraph will hopefully get you there. As others have said be prepared to reboot your PC(not while the update is running!), switch USB ports, etc., as older computers running Windows 7 usually but don't always play nice with the latest editor and firmware versions.

Update: Just noticed you already have the 2.50 firmware installed so you can ignore the bits of this regarding upgrading the firmware. All you need is HX Edit 2.51 on your new PC and you should be good to go.

• 8 months later...

I realise this is old, but I'm running through the same problem with my Hx Stomp.

Windows 7

Fresh driver installs

Neither Hx Edit, nor Line 6 updater see my Stomp.

The Hx Stomp does appear in my pc's device manager.

(many pc reboots and Hx reboots have been done)

Anyone has suggestions?

8 hours ago, ccouch7 said:

Same problem here, any ideas or help appreciated.

I still have problems with helix being properly recognized on various PC’s, USB hubs or not. I keep an older laptop running win10 build 1709, base install, no updates or other software, just for connecting to helix.   It works, so I’m not about to change a thing on it. :)