Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

some upgrade advice guys please

swiftie505

hey guys

im looking for some advice from youes. i bought a used hd500 about 2 weeks ago it worked fine for 2 days it connected to my computer fine everything was the latest software. the unit is in immaculate condition on the outside and was very well looked after by the pervious owner. i started to learn how to make patches after reading the mannual and help on this fourm. powered the unit off went to a rehersal and the unit went into thatboot up loop screen. after rehersal checked here but couldnt connect to computer to update flash. same the next morning then at lunch time at work like an idiot i ended up breaking the usb the little square middle plug

ive gotten it fixed in a computer shop took it home used a diffrent computer and downloaded all the line 6 stuff again and still nothing

im waiting for line 6 to get back to me but have done everything they said and unit is still stuck on reboot screen with it not being recognised so i think its fully broken

anyway this is a very expensive unit to break after only 3 years my me50 is nearly 10 years old and has been kicked about on stage used and abused by my students on guitar lessons and it still works

anyway my question is this

i need a unit that will not break and will last a lot longer than 3 years. i live in a very remote part of ireland so cannot afford breakdowns

what do you guys think i am very hesitant at paying a weeks wage on another line 6 unit when it appears the 500x has simular issues

the joke is that i have already spent more on this unit than i would have buying new lol

what is the boss gt100 like realiability wise how does it compare or the zoom although i had zoom befor and didnt like the sounds at all

i need something after christmass for lessons and gigs in the spring

any advice would be cool as i am very very hesitant about spending any more money on something that might break

thanks

No idea what the Boss and Zoom stuff is like as far as reliability is concerned, but I can tell you that they're nowhere near the same in terms of versatility and the quality of the tones you can get out of it.

If you want something you can beat the daylights out of, get a Helix. That thing is a tank.

For starters, I am a wee bit confused. Did you buy the unit 2 weeks ago or 3 years ago. And if it was only two weeks ago... how did you already get a part fixed. If PC shops work that quickly in Ireland, I may need to move.

Anyhow...

The unit is plenty sturdy. Assuming it "broken permanent", you either got a "bum" unit, or you or the previous owner did something.
But, most likely, it is an easy fix.

Perhaps the power supply?

IMO the HDs have been durable - I have 3 and they have seen use. I've screwed around with Zoom and Digitech too and TBH its the user that makes the units sound good. Even the old reliable Pod 2.0 can be a beast if used properly.

I've had footswitch failures happen in Zoom G9s, D-Tech GNXs - both used the same tactile switches the HD uses. They seem to have a limit to the amount of mashing they can take.

You have to have back-ups (unit, power supplies, etc.) what can go wrong eventually will go wrong. ;)

For starters, I am a wee bit confused. Did you buy the unit 2 weeks ago or 3 years ago. And if it was only two weeks ago... how did you already get a part fixed. If PC shops work that quickly in Ireland, I may need to move.

haha yea sorry no i bought it used it worked cool for me for 2 days then this loop thing

yea the computer shop  tested the usb connector they put in and it was working fine i they said it was running power and data fine

no the unit connected fine at the start i used it for 2 days ended up doung a reset and then recalabrated the unit and this screen starts into the loop

line 6s ultamate solution is send it to a diffrent counrty as there are no service center in ireland the second home of google facebook air b and b along with countless other teck and manafacturing plants lol

this solution will be un economicial for me i am imageing postage along with other costs

anyway thats why i was wondering about the boss units cause as much as i love the 2 days i got out of this i am not confident another will last afetr all im using a 4 year old computer to type this lol

The PODHD is a very reliable unit but that doesn't mean none of them have ever broken.  There's thousands of them being used for years with no problems at all.  That and the tone is why Line6 is leading the mid-range market.  Zoom and Boss sound like crap compared to it and they aren't any better for reliability.

Sorry you don't have anywhere to send it to locally.  I don't know how much postage is for sending it to the nearest Line6 Repair center from Ireland.  I can send something across the U.S. for like $25 bucks.