Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What kind of adapter goes with the variax battery adapter?

I lost the cable part of the BR4 charging set for the JTV, but I don't feel like buying an entire new pack. I do not know a lot about polarity and the like, so could someone suggest an AC adaptor that would work?

Or should I stick with the advice on the charger saying 'Use the charger only with the AC adaptor provided'?

I very tiny writing on my adaptor it says (my eyes struggle in poor light - I actually have to use a Lupe as a magnifying glass to read things like adaptor specs these days):

12V DC 1000mA, centre positive, outside measurement of plug barrel is 5mm, somewhere between 2 and 3 for inside.

• Upvote 1

I very tiny writing on my adaptor it says (my eyes struggle in poor light - I actually have to use a Lupe as a magnifying glass to read things like adaptor specs these days):

12V DC 1000mA, centre positive, outside measurement of plug barrel is 5mm, somewhere between 2 and 3 for inside.

On the dock it says 'Use the charger only wit hthe AC adaptor provided'. So should the adapter be AC, or DC (AC adaptors are now banned in Europe, I believe).

"On the dock it says 'Use the charger only with the AC adapter provided'."--- Which is a good idea.

The voltage and current is the maximum level the adapter can handle. The need for the correct adapter

is due the "current flow rate", typically in mA/hr. And with Lithium-Ion batteries, that is even more crucial.

Most of the incidents in the news the last couple of years, relating to fires involving Lithium-Ion, were a result

of problems with controlling current flow rate. And many of those occurred during battery charging. It's been

an issue on-and-off with rechargeable batteries for computers, mobiles and portable audio gear since the 1990's.

Kind of occurs in clumps. You can have periods where you won't see a single incident, then a swarm of incidents.

Depends on the product, the battery, the charger and a host of other factors.

So it's best to heed the warnings and leave nothing to chance.

On the dock it says 'Use the charger only wit hthe AC adaptor provided'. So should the adapter be AC, or DC (AC adaptors are now banned in Europe, I believe).

12V DC 1000mA, centre positive

AC/AC adaptors do cause confusion so I can see why they might ban them; it is the sort of thing the EU spends our tax money on to keep themselves in a job - I had a Rocktron rack unit that used AC/AC and if you plugged it into an AC/DC adaptor it only half worked. Properly designed equipment will not be damaged by the wrong inputs whether reversed polarity, under or reasonable over voltage, or AC/DC. They may not work, or get warm before a thermal shutdown, but they shouldn't catch fire or spark. 

As long as the specs match you can safely use another power adapter.

Input: AC 100 - 240V, ~50 - 60Hz, 0.5A

Output: DC 12V === 1000mA

Centre positive.

Otherwise... the charger may not work at all; or it could take longer to charge; or the battery may not charge completely; or worst case scenario... the battery could catch fire.

If possible, bring your battery charging dock to make sure the new adapter's plug barrel fits properly.