Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

External Valve Amp Feedback Issue

penningt

Hi

I am getting some weird high pitched whistling when I turn the gain up on my external amp when using the following routing via Helix Edit.

Guitar > Helix Guitar In > Helix 1/4" Out > External Amp In > Cab clone Line Out > Helix Aux In > Helix XLR Out

However if I plug my guitar directly into the external amp (see routing below) its all fine - I can turn external amp gain up to full without the whistling.

Guitar > External Amp In > Cab clone Line Out > Helix Aux In > Helix XLR Out

I have set Helix 1/4" Out to instrument and my amp is an Orange OR15.  I have also checked and double checked in Helix Edit that I have not inadvertently created a feedback loop.

I can't seem to establish what it causing this noise - if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Tim

"Guitar > External Amp In > Cab clone Line Out > Helix Aux In > Helix XLR Out"

Why are you taking the line out from the Orange BACK into the Helix Aux In? If the Helix input is set to Multi, there's your feedback loop.

What do you referring to on these (External Amp In > Cab clone Line Out )?   I pulled up some pics of an OR15 and there is just guitar in, speaker outputs, and FX Loop.

I believe he's saying he plugs helix into the amp's guitar input.  Then the amps speaker out goes into the cab clone and he can send that back into Helix

"Guitar > External Amp In > Cab clone Line Out > Helix Aux In > Helix XLR Out"

Why are you taking the line out from the Orange BACK into the Helix Aux In? If the Helix input is set to Multi, there's your feedback loop.

I think thats most likely the answer.

Assuming you are using a Helix Floor, not LT, try using the XLR output into Helix. Or, I could recommend using one of the FX Loop returns on Helix over the aux in. I think they sound better and they open up more routing options if you need them. I'd set that return set to Line level for the cab clones output.