Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Standard - Any Tips

jameskapherr

Hi guys

Seems like it is the time of the year for good deals... bought a Helix LT for £715 last week... now I have a Variax Standard being delivered tomorrow that I picked up new for £330!

I'm used to locking tuners on my guitars (Ibanez RG6PCMLTD and Yamaha Pacifica 311H) so I am looking to replace them, so does anyone know if these are direct drop-ins for the Standard?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_parts_locking_tuners_6l_chrome.htm?ref=search_rslt_Harley+Benton+Parts+Locking+Tuners+6L_283975_1

or

https://www.btnmusic.co.uk/product/hipshot-6-in-line-closed-staggered/#prettyPhoto

Also, any tips or things to look out for with this guitar?

Thanks heaps

James

Have had JTV's and Standards come across my bench with both, and either one of them works fine.

Might want to take the guitar with you to whatever shop you go to, and make certain they fit. Save you

a trip back later.

Tips,... read the manual, this is not the usual guitar with passive electronics. Read the warranty, some

like to do modifications that can void a warranty. Changing tuning machines of these kinds won't void it.

It's deeper mods that mess with the intended normal function of the guitar that voids the warranty. I won't

go thru the whole list here of 20 questions of,... "will this void it or that".

In a nut shell either of the two afore mentioned machines will work fine. Just make certain they fit.

• Upvote 1

Have had JTV's and Standards come across my bench with both, and either one of them works fine.

Might want to take the guitar with you to whatever shop you go to, and make certain they fit. Save you

a trip back later.

Tips,... read the manual, this is not the usual guitar with passive electronics. Read the warranty, some

like to do modifications that can void a warranty. Changing tuning machines of these kinds won't void it.

It's deeper mods that mess with the intended normal function of the guitar that voids the warranty. I won't

go thru the whole list here of 20 questions of,... "will this void it or that".

In a nut shell either of the two afore mentioned machines will work fine. Just make certain they fit.

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, it was only the bridge and tuners, with the tuners being the biggest change... I understand the bridge is a different kettle of fish as some of the wires are routed through the block or something. Either way, before I part cash i'll enjoy it first :)

End of the day, I love my Yamaha Pacifica 311H so if this feels the same, i'll love it too