Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mission EP1-L6 Spring Load Anyone Using One?

jondufour

I didn't even realize they offered spring loaded versions.  I have the regular one with the toe switch "SP1-L6 Helix".  As soon as the auto engage feature was added to Helix I stopped using the toe switch. I always loved the Morely Bad Horsie wah or the Dunlop 95Q, mainly for the spring/switchless feature.  

Auto engage is easy to set up.  You set the position value for it, and it will bypass the block when it drops below that value.  There is even an adjustment for how quickly or slowly it bypasses the wah, so it doesn't constantly accidentally turn off while you sweep through the lower range.

Just a heads up, with the spring always returning it to heel position, it won't be a very effective expression for anything except wah and whammy uses.

I didn't even realize they offered spring loaded versions.  I have the regular one with the toe switch "SP1-L6 Helix".  As soon as the auto engage feature was added to Helix I stopped using the toe switch. I always loved the Morely Bad Horsie wah or the Dunlop 95Q, mainly for the spring/switchless feature.  

Auto engage is easy to set up.  You set the position value for it, and it will bypass the block when it drops below that value.  There is even an adjustment for how quickly or slowly it bypasses the wah, so it doesn't constantly accidentally turn off while you sweep through the lower range.

Just a heads up, with the spring always returning it to heel position, it won't be a very effective expression for anything except wah and whammy uses.

Perfect, that's what I want and this will always be my wah pedal. I use the Helix pedal for expression and long volume swells. I gig a lot so I like to have the wah pedal auto engage as I'll grab it for random licks or something spontaneous.

I didn't know they had a spring load either, I was looking it up on the Mission site and that's where I spotted the option. This is replacing my Bad Horsie as that wah pedal is noisy as hell with the Helix and I won't have to deal with another ac adapter :)

This is replacing my Bad Horsie as that wah pedal is noisy as hell with the Helix and I won't have to deal with another ac adapter :)

I loved the Bad Horsie sound and its sweep.  But if you're not using it with a few other pedals, its buffered bypass has a very noticeable change to your signal (and yes can be noisy).  Pretty much the same reason I switched.

I loved the Bad Horsie sound and its sweep.  But if you're not using it with a few other pedals, its buffered bypass has a very noticeable change to your signal (and yes can be noisy).  Pretty much the same reason I switched.

Me as well, I've used this single Bad Horsie Wah Pedal since it was brand new on the market. It was so noisy for me with the Helix I had to put a noise gate after it. I even got another 9volt adapter just in case my older one was going bad and no change. 

After so many years of that switchless feature, just no way I could ever use a switched Wah again. 

So, even though I don't feel the Helix wah's are all that great, when I saw Mission had a spring option and I was mostly sure I could make it auto on with the Helix, oh yes, I'm all over that :)

I don't have the Mission expression pedal but I've put together a very similar design using an old crybaby.

I took out all the crybaby guts and and put in this  10k pot:

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/potentiometer-dunlop-10k-linear

I put in a 1/4 inch guitar jack as well. I use it strictly for wah and whammy effects using the auto-engage feature.

I also stuffed a spring in the toe end so it returns to heel position when I take my foot off. I put a dab of gorilla glue at the base of the spring although It probably wasn't really needed.

I've been gigging with this for months now and it works great. For wah stuff i like the feel of it better than the on board pedal. I was also having problems with the on-board pedal not reaching 100% on pitch-wham stuff (I have theory on why this is, but that's for another thread). I've had zero issues with the external pedal.

I don't have the Mission expression pedal but I've put together a very similar design using an old crybaby.

I took out all the crybaby guts and and put in this  10k pot:

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/potentiometer-dunlop-10k-linear

I put in a 1/4 inch guitar jack as well. I use it strictly for wah and whammy effects using the auto-engage feature.

I also stuffed a spring in the toe end so it returns to heel position when I take my foot off. I put a dab of gorilla glue at the base of the spring although It probably wasn't really needed.

I've been gigging with this for months now and it works great. For wah stuff i like the feel of it better than the on board pedal. I was also having problems with the on-board pedal not reaching 100% on pitch-wham stuff (I have theory on why this is, but that's for another thread). I've had zero issues with the external pedal.

That is absolutely awesome. I might have to give this a try too. I'm thinking find a cheap used one and re-purpose as an extra expression pedal.

That is absolutely awesome. I might have to give this a try too. I'm thinking find a cheap used one and re-purpose as an extra expression pedal.

Check out this thread here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/21821-modding-a-cry-baby-to-make-an-expression-pedal/

This is where I got all the specifics in putting this together.

Check out this thread here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/21821-modding-a-cry-baby-to-make-an-expression-pedal/

This is where I got all the specifics in putting this together.

THANK YOU!!! I can't believe how cheap this mod is. There is almost certainly some junk cry baby wah's in the back at my local music store that I can gut for this, awesome!

• 3 months later...

I have a new HX and didn't realize the Mission pedal I already had wouldn't work on Line 6, so I modded my old Crybaby this way.  Then I was pondering how to spring load and I had a lightbulb moment, so I made this little vid.  Prepare to be amazed!