Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Static at times

telewest

Hi all Its been a while since I've  posted anything but I have a strange occurrence happening when I play through my helix its been there for a while and it is very annoying I'm getting static when I play any of my guitars through helix its like an earth problem but I have had all guitars checked by my tech and all is good but as soon as I play through helix there it is whether I use a cable or the G10 same I have tried an anti static cloth on the guitars still static if any one has experienced this problem can you please let me know how you fixed it . it happens with my  fenders, Gibson's and my PRS guitars  just cant figure it out .

Firstly thanks for asking questions I don’t know if you’ve ever played a strat and rubbed your fingers on the pick guard and you get this static scratchy noise through you’re amp but that’s what is happening but it also comes through when i play my les Paul every time i move up and down the neck also on my prs like i say its just weird I’ve encountered it before through an amp but only with strats and tele’s and that turned out to be earthing issues with the pickups not shielded properly but never with gibson’s Or PRS’s I’m still looking into it i cant say if its amp specific but ill keep checking it out .

I know just what you’re talking about, I’ve encountered it with Tele pickguards. Interestingly, I’ve also encountered it on at least one Les Paul with a bound neck where moving up and down the neck sometimes resulted in a noticeable static noise. With the Teles I’ve had good luck with anti-static sheets (dryer sheets), but I never have figured out the neck binding static. It seems to come and go though. I keep my guitars in a humidity controlled cabinet, but it could still be a function of a dry environment (I’m in southern Arizona, USA) or other environmental factor. Like you I have encountered these issues with standard amps as well as with Helix, so I’m inclined to say that it isn’t a Helix issue. Wish I could do better than just commiserating with you, hope you get it sorted!

If your body is isolated from ground, you are going to continue to build up static on your body surface and your guitar as you play. Static will build on your body and areas of your guitar that are not grounded (plastic pick guards). Then the static will discharge to your body when your body is in contact with the grounded parts of your guitar. You will hear audible pops with that discharge that are being sent through your pickup wiring.  It is a lot worse when using a wireless system with your guitar. Here are some things you can do to help:

1. If your practice area is carpeted, spray static guard on the carpet in the area that you are standing or sitting. Link for static guard is below. 

2.  Spray static guard on your clothing before playing. 

3. If you have the option (at home or private practice area) remove your shoes and socks. Shoes and socks can act as an insulator allowing static to build up on your body. This is more important when using a wireless system with your guitar, because you don't have a physical ground wire connected to your guitar. You need to make your body connect to ground through your bare feet to help dissipate static. 

4. On back of pick guards, use the metallic type tape used for shielding EMI, and make sure the metallic tape is connected to ground on your guitar. This gives the static a route to discharge and not build up. 

5. Use an air humidifier in your practice area to help dissipate static issues. 

https://www.target.com/p/static-guard-antistatic-spray-5-5-oz/-/A-13294243

An alternative to purchasing a dedicated static guard spray product, is to simply mix a small amount (about 2 Tablespoons or so) into a generic pump triggered Sprayer bottle of water. A light mist of this onto carpeted surfaces, cloth, clear plastic rolling desk chair mats, etc., or onto a paper towel or cotton cloth to wipe down polymer surfaces, outdoor furniture, etc., does wonders to sigificantly reduce static buildup. This works great during low humidty months! The last few weeks here in the Los Angeles area we have had single digit humidity as low as 4-5% accompanyied by the Santa Ana winds. Aside from the horrendous fires that have devastated several areas, the static buildup has been significant.

Hi everyone  thank you all for your input and what jduhojla has written is probably spot on I will get some of that spray and give it a go I do have a carpet under my chair and I usually do have socks and shoes on when I play so some handy tips to try and you are right it seems that all the guitars with bound necks are as bad as the pick guards on the fenders so thanks again for everyone's help :)

Hey music law I have been to your part of the world and I'm sorry that the bush fires are devastating some of your state we have had our fair share of those fires over here in Australia so I feel your pain and thanks for your tip. I know when these things come upon us there isn't much comfort in words but I have lived through it so I can tell you time will heal and things do get better.

Just info on what happened on my system:

I added a new usb device this morning and started getting static this afternoon ( first time I played since this morning and the first time I've ever had static ). I swapped USB ports 4 times rebooting the helix each time and it went away on the fourth port. Not sure what that means, if anything, but there it is /\o/\.

Hey music law I have been to your part of the world and I'm sorry that the bush fires are devastating some of your state we have had our fair share of those fires over here in Australia so I feel your pain and thanks for your tip. I know when these things come upon us there isn't much comfort in words but I have lived through it so I can tell you time will heal and things do get better.

Much thanks for your best wishes. Fortunately, none of my family nor friends have sustained losses nor damages to their lives nor property. Nonetheless, there are a great many who have sustained nearly unimaginable losses. Stay safe and enjoy the Holidays!

• 1 year later...

Hi!  I just got a Helix and I'm experiencing the same thing. I don't even have to be touching the strings - just sliding my hand up and down the back or sides of the neck causes the static. I tried it with different guitars, through head phones and powered speakers, and get the same thing. The louder the volume on the helix, the more you hear it.  I don't recall my old tube amp ever doing that. Is it a solid state thing? A helix thing?   It's sort of disappointing...