Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Eventide H9 Preset to load with Helix Preset either CC or PC

glorioso

post-1935575-0-28413700-1513052063_thumb.png

Can anyone please help me. All I get is how easy it is, but I can't get anyone to help me figure this out. I am a MIDI novice.

ALL I want to do is have a H9 preset call up when I open a helix preset. i don't want to scroll H9 presets, I simply want to have a H9 preset load into a footswitch just like any other effect. In this photo I have the FX loop that holds the H9, MIDI in is set to CC98 but it doesn't load CC98. In fact it doesn't load or change anything on the H9.

If I can load H9 presets into my patches or snap shots with CC or PC commands, then it's useless to me, but everyone raves about the H9 working so seamlessly  with Helix. I don't find this to be true.

Please don't send me the youtube video where the guy gets the mix on the expression pedal to work. He leaves out a bunch of steps and I can't get that to work either. My exp pedal only can do the default H9 settings at this point.

If you want the H9 to RECEIVE on the Helix Base Channel (default CH1), go into GLOBAL/MIDI and set MIDI PC SEND to OFF. That prevents Helix from sending the default PC# for that Helix Preset, and sends ONLY the PC# you set in Command Center as an Instant Message (don't forget to save the preset!).

OR

Set the H9 to receive on a different channel than the Helix Base Channel, and set the Instant Message PC# to send on that channel.

ex: if Helix Base Channel = CH1, then set H9 to receive on CH2 and Instant message to send on CH2.

The MIDI command has NOTHING to do with the Effects Loop Block.  In the above pic, you are attempting to setup the switch that controls the Effects Loop to also send the MIDI command.  This is not what you want.

1) you need to hook a MIDI cable from the Helix's MIDI OUT to the H9's MIDI In.

2) You need to make sure the H9 is configured properly to receive Program Change (PC) messages.  You will need to refer to the H9 documentation for how to do this.  Part of this will involve telling the H9 what MIDI channel it will receive the PC messages on.  Best practice ,if you aren't sure, is to pick a different channel than the Helix Base Channel, which is typically factory set to Channel 1.

3) You will need to setup the Helix to send a PC Message on the Channel that the H9 is configured to receive on.  That is done in Command Center, in an Instant command slot (the ones with the lightning bolts).  You will need to set the same channel you setup for the H9, and the program number you want to set the H9 to.  Be aware of switching snapshots while in Command Center, the commands can be different for different snapshots within a preset on Helix.  Make sure you are setting the command in the same snapshot that is the default snapshot for that preset.

Change to the preset.

Go into Command Center.

Pick one of the Instant Access (Lightning Bolt Slots).

Pick the Command for Sending a Bank/Prog change message.

Set the Channel to the one that the H9 receives on.

Turn the Bank 0 and Bank 32 paramters to "off".

Put in the Preset Number you want to set the H9 to.

Save your preset.

• Upvote 2

"I simply want to have a H9 preset load into a footswitch just like any other effect. In this photo I have the FX loop that holds the H9, MIDI in is set to CC98 but it doesn't load CC98. In fact it doesn't load or change anything on the H9."

The way you've got it set up, an external MIDI controller can be used to bypass the Helix effects loop by sending CC#98 to the Helix. To do that, just assign a Helix footswitch to bypass the effects loop. But that won't get you what you're after.

The way this works is that the H9 AUDIO IN/OUT is in the effects loop, and a MIDI cable is connected between the Helix and the H9. When you select the Helix preset with a PC# (NOT CC#!) assigned to an Instant Message (lightning bolt in Command Center) set to the same MIDI channel that the H9 is set to receive on, that PC# is sent over the MIDI cable to the H9, selecting the corresponding H9 preset. The AUDIO signal passes thru the Helix Effects Send to the H9, is processed by the specified H9 preset, then returns to the Helix thru the Effects Return. The H9 preset doesn't load into the footswitch, the footswitch (Helix preset selection with Instant Message) just tells the H9 what H9 preset to use to process the AUDIO passing thru it from/to the Helix effects loop.

If you set it up per my previous directions, the Helix, on preset selection, will send the PC# you specified, on the channel that the H9 is configured to receive on. It will also send CC#61 which as far as I can tell, when received by the Helix stops the looper. No idea why it would SEND that, but it doesn't affect what you're trying to do. 

If all is as above and it's still not working, you should verify that the Helix is sending the proper messages with a MIDI Monitor such as MIDIOX (if you're using Windows, I forget what it's called in MAC world). Assuming that you're using standard 5pin MIDI cables to connect the H9 to the Helix, you'll need to be sure that the Helix is set up in Global to send MIDI over USB (connect Helix USB to computer to use the MIDI Monitor).

I hope that's all coherent and understandable, it's late, time for me to sleep. Get back to me if it's nstill not clear.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we need to take a step back, are you just wanting to change the program on the H9 when you change patch on the Helix?

Craig

"I simply want to have a H9 preset load into a footswitch just like any other effect. In this photo I have the FX loop that holds the H9, MIDI in is set to CC98 but it doesn't load CC98. In fact it doesn't load or change anything on the H9."

The way you've got it set up, an external MIDI controller can be used to bypass the Helix effects loop by sending CC#98 to the Helix. To do that, just assign a Helix footswitch to bypass the effects loop. But that won't get you what you're after.

The way this works is that the H9 AUDIO IN/OUT is in the effects loop, and a MIDI cable is connected between the Helix and the H9. When you select the Helix preset with a PC# (NOT CC#!) assigned to an Instant Message (lightning bolt in Command Center) set to the same MIDI channel that the H9 is set to receive on, that PC# is sent over the MIDI cable to the H9, selecting the corresponding H9 preset. The AUDIO signal passes thru the Helix Effects Send to the H9, is processed by the specified H9 preset, then returns to the Helix thru the Effects Return. The H9 preset doesn't load into the footswitch, the footswitch (Helix preset selection with Instant Message) just tells the H9 what H9 preset to use to process the AUDIO passing thru it from/to the Helix effects loop.

If you set it up per my previous directions, the Helix, on preset selection, will send the PC# you specified, on the channel that the H9 is configured to receive on. It will also send CC#61 which as far as I can tell, when received by the Helix stops the looper. No idea why it would SEND that, but it doesn't affect what you're trying to do. 

If all is as above and it's still not working, you should verify that the Helix is sending the proper messages with a MIDI Monitor such as MIDIOX (if you're using Windows, I forget what it's called in MAC world). Assuming that you're using standard 5pin MIDI cables to connect the H9 to the Helix, you'll need to be sure that the Helix is set up in Global to send MIDI over USB (connect Helix USB to computer to use the MIDI Monitor).

I hope that's all coherent and understandable, it's late, time for me to sleep. Get back to me if it's nstill not clear.

OK, got it working. The patches won't change if the USB is plugged in...for some reason. You were a big help, thanks.