Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bass tones

ejendres

I recently got the Helix and I'm trying to match the bass tone I used to get with my old 11rack. There is a clip linked below. Anyone have suggestions for where to start? In the 11 rack I was using an Ampeg model and a Rat but that same setup isn't getting me there with the Helix.

https://soundcloud.com/ejendres/burrito-bass-136bmp-audiotrimmercom

You are probably going to want to adjust the low and high cuts.  Helix cabs give you much more frequency range than what typical cabs do. 

Start there you are going to want to set your low cut somewhere below 100hz.  Try 60hz, and see if you loose too much low end.

Your high cut will also need to be reduced, though to your taste. I would start at around 7khz. (adjust from there)

You should also experiment with the different mics on the HX cabs, as well as, the mic positioning, and early reflection. 

Using the multi band compression - 3 band compressor - can allow you to compress your lows/mids/highs individually. 

I recently got the Helix and I'm trying to match the bass tone I used to get with my old 11rack. There is a clip linked below. Anyone have suggestions for where to start? In the 11 rack I was using an Ampeg model and a Rat but that same setup isn't getting me there with the Helix.

https://soundcloud.com/ejendres/burrito-bass-136bmp-audiotrimmercom

I suggest to use your DAW (if you have one, if not there are some good free ones out there) and try some tone maching:

1. Set up your old eleven rack bass sound on 1 track and load it with a good EQ to see it's freq. spectrum.

2. Set up a Helix track, and use or set up a Helix patch and try to get as close as possible to the original setup you used in eleven (so Ampeg and the rest). Activate EQ on it.

3. Record some groove and see where the freq spectrum's are different and try to get it as close matching as possible, using an EQ block in your Helix patch (not the global, please ;-)), or the knobs on your Ampeg block.

4. You must get it very close to the original with this method!

Good luck.

3. Record some groove and see where the freq spectrum's are different and try to get it as close matching as possible, using an EQ block in your Helix patch (not the global, please ;-)), or the knobs on your Ampeg block.

Sometimes I use the Global EQ because of the nice visual display in HX Edit. Once I get the EQ parameters nailed down on the global EQ using HX Edit, I disable Global EQ, and drop in an EQ block with the same parameters at the end of the signal chain. 

I wish the EQ blocks would have the same visual display of the EQ curve.