Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Has the G10 USB port been improved?

pgrimmer

Hi all,

I recently bought a G10 system and have so far used it for a couple of gigs and a few rehearsals and it has been flawless, but reading the various forums I am concerned about the USB connection lasting.

I play in a band which practices once a week and gigs 2 -3 times a month. I only really wanted a wireless system to free the stage of cables, I'm not planning on running into the audience, so the G10 looked ideal. Most of the posts I've seen about the dodgy USB connection seem to be from last year, so I was wondering whether this has been improved? I've been looking at alternatives but the G30 seems to have issues with the battery door and clip and the G50 or G70 seem overkill for what I need.

My local music store has the G70 at a really good price at the moment (cheaper than the G50), so I'm wondering whether to bite the bullet and exchange the G10 for this, even though I will never use most of the features, just so that I know that it will be road worthy.

Any advice will be really appreciated.

Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt the reports to be a bit inflated. I have owned the thing for a while now, it lives in the bag with my Helix that has tumbled down stairs, I use it at least once a week for practice and have taken it to several gigs, including outdoor gigs, and haven't had any problems yet. I think the key is to not leave the cable plugged in while transporting it unless everything is secured down - like on a pedal board that is then put in a case so neither the receiver nor the cable are moving around. Not so different from any other piece of gear in that sense.

I've had mine for almost a year with zero issues. I am careful with the micro USB connection though, but still, no issues. I use it for practice at home all the time, practice once a week outside of home, and one "gig" every weekend (2 services every Sunday morning). I love it. 

I had no problems with the performance it self. But the power cord busted a week after the warranty expired. I used mine mainly at home and knew from the start that I would have to be careful with the powering. I really would like another one but not until I see a better design with the powering. Right now I stuck with a none working system.

To answer the original question, yes, the USB port on the G10 has been revised since the original release. Frank Ritchotte, Line 6's Senior Director of Operations, did mention on Facebook that they reinforced the input on newer units to make it somewhat stronger.

If you have a G10 with a broken USB port, I would recommend opening a support ticket even if you are past the warranty period. Line 6 usually doesn't leave people hanging in these types of situations.