Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

lINE6 DT vs Boss katana ??

hichembell

Hello !!

How does the line6 DT25 holds up in comparaison to the new modeling amps like Katana or even Blackstar ID TVP series !

I'm impressed about how do they sound and I'm asking my self  is the dt25 is still worth ....the katana and the ID are lighter .but I don't know if that tube inside the DT still make a big difference ?? WHat do you think ??

Apples and oranges. The DT series is a "full" tube amp with selectable topographies. Combined with a L6 Modeler HD or Helix the Katana is squished under the DT's iron boot. Now if you are talking about price that is a different story. That said I do like the Katana the weight is light and the features are packed for a modeling amp but it is no DT.

• Upvote 1

I think the Katana vs the Amplfi would be a better comparison. The DT25 is a tube amp with true selectable parameters such as class etc... that actually change the analog side not modelling.  It doesn't have on board effects etc.. but the tone is great. The Katana is pretty cool amp but I don't think it's going to stand up to DT in the pure tone department. Of course asking here we are going to like the DT better.

I think the DT blows the Katana away as far as the overall tone and feel... I know the Katana seems to be a hot item right now, and I guess for an inexpensive amp, it's OK. When I played through it, I thought it was very stiff and, well, just very solid state sounding. For the same price range, I prefer the Spider V. At least with the Spider V, you can access and edit every amp and every effect from the front panel if you want. With the Katana, the effects sections is limited, and there's no indication as to what the different effects are on the knobs on the front panel.

As far as modeling matching the responsiveness of the DT25's tube power section, I think the higher end modeling units can... Not sure if the more entry level amps are quite there yet.

There is a reason SS amps are always given the "real tube tone" label. Tubes do sound really good but it comes at a cost - maintenance, weight, locked into a speaker/cab design. Even then there are differences in the Class A or B outputs and the rabbit hole goes on and on (tube mfg anyone? or preamp tube ax vs au?).

That said a modeler ran into a FRFR or good solid state power amp/speaker combo can be incredible as well.

The modeling amps have selected the cab/speaker combo they feel is the best per $ to meet the goals of the end user. The trick is to find out if those goals are yours. So try them if you can, y-tube vids go only so far.

For me - the editor ease is high on the priority list for modelers.

SS amps are always given the "real tube tone" label. 

I always found that funny, real tube tone. Well why not just get real tubes instead. Why not let the SS stand on it's own tone. Even when using modelers I don't really care what amp they are supposed to sound like. I just use them for the tones I find that I like and can use.

• Upvote 2

I always found that funny, real tube tone. Well why not just get real tubes instead. Why not let the SS stand on it's own tone. Even when using modelers I don't really care what amp they are supposed to sound like. I just use them for the tones I find that I like and can use.

Same here my man. I have used SS Crates and Peavey amps that sound really good. But marketing is marketing. :)

• Upvote 1

Same here my man. I have used SS Crates and Peavey amps that sound really good. But marketing is marketing. :)

I can say the same thing..I own an old peavy SS  studio chorus . it sound s amazing .

My question is suposed to give me answer on choosing between DT and HD , or let's say bying a BLackstar ID60 tvp for its easiness of use

But if the DT STILL BLOW the blackstar I prefer to bring a DT and couple it with my  hd500

I'm just little bit tired of tweaking the hd I think this is why I'm looking into blackstar ID or katana

<snip>

I'm just little bit tired of tweaking the hd I think this is why I'm looking into blackstar ID or katana

I understand as I have fallen into the too much tweaking and too little playing trap. I'm in no position to point you one way or another with such a personal choice as that - FWIW I have dug out my old Floorpod and used it at practice yesterday and it sounded pretty solid for the generic tones I needed.

If you are already skilled at the HD then you have jumped the first hurdle. If not then learning the HD and DT might be a steep learning curve.

Sometimes there is beauty in simplicity.

I have played with a DT but just haven't bought one myself - too many amps as it is - but yes there will be further tweaking. You didn't think the answer would be "no" did you? :D  But add a Variax and it is one of the most versatile rigs out there.

As simple as you said..

so with the DT there will be further tweaking ??

Here the thing, it's as little or as much tweaking as you want. With the old analog amps and even most SS amps and pedals. They sound like they sound, there isn't much you can tweak, at least not without spending some $$$,  so it either works for you or it doesn't. A device like a HD and DT, and/or even add a variax and you now have probably thousands of combinations and parameters you can tweak without investing more $$$. So it's up to you to control yourself or go nuts with it. I when down that rabbit hole when I got my first Pod XT device years back. The good part of tweaking that was I learned a lot about pedals and placement and amps doing that. The bad part was I spent too much time tweaking and not enough improving my playing. Tone is subjective. So I like any other piece of gear try one out and see if out of the box you think it sounds pretty good. If it does then you can likely improve it a bit without a lot of time. If you just can't help yourself tweaking then maybe having all those options is not the best thing for you. Personally I found after gigging my dream rig a bit, I really tended to use one basic setup most of the night. But I've read others that use a setlist in the POD by song. Either method works, just depends on what makes you happy. 

Here the thing, it's as little or as much tweaking as you want. With the old analog amps and even most SS amps and pedals. They sound like they sound, there isn't much you can tweak, at least not without spending some $$$,  so it either works for you or it doesn't. A device like a HD and DT, and/or even add a variax and you now have probably thousands of combinations and parameters you can tweak without investing more $$$. So it's up to you to control yourself or go nuts with it. I when down that rabbit hole when I got my first Pod XT device years back. The good part of tweaking that was I learned a lot about pedals and placement and amps doing that. The bad part was I spent too much time tweaking and not enough improving my playing. Tone is subjective. So I like any other piece of gear try one out and see if out of the box you think it sounds pretty good. If it does then you can likely improve it a bit without a lot of time. If you just can't help yourself tweaking then maybe having all those options is not the best thing for you. Personally I found after gigging my dream rig a bit, I really tended to use one basic setup most of the night. But I've read others that use a setlist in the POD by song. Either method works, just depends on what makes you happy. 

All what you are saying is logical. Yet, the problem with the HD is that sometimes you need to tweak tweak tweak ....yet to get an average result .. i want to know if it also the case with the hd coupled with the DT ?

All what you are saying is logical. Yet, the problem with the HD is that sometimes you need to tweak tweak tweak ....yet to get an average result .. i want to know if it also the case with the hd coupled with the DT ?

The DT adds a real tube section to the HD equation. Does it sound better? IMO yes, but I really like tubes.  You say it takes a lot of tweaks to get average result. That has not really been the case for me. I think I get good results without a ton of tweaking. Based on your answer I would say yes it would also be the case for the HD paired with the DT. It just doesn't drastically change the equation.