Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

You say you can't get the guitar to turn on.  What are you looking for to indicate the guitar is turned on and what makes you think the guitar isn't turning on?  I doubt if the flash failed that any of the top knobs will operate so don't look there.  The only indicator I can think of is the battery indicator on the back of the guitar.  If that isn't going on then your battery is bad or not fully charged.

When I plug in to my amp and push down on the middle knob with the models listed it turned on an LED when the guitar modeling worked   It doesnt change models now and the LED doesnt come on.  Also the thumb switch on the upper part of the guitar that lets my tune down a step doesnt function.  I recharged the battery till full and tried again but still no response from the guitar 

Are you sure you aren't suffering from mode switch issues?  Try pulling the model selection knob off and pressing the metal shaft down directly (with a 1/4" cable plugged in and the battery inserted, obviously).  If that lights the LEDs at the base of the shaft, you're suffering from a fairly common defect.  Easiest fix is to drop a small disk of cardboard into the hole on the plastic knob and press it back into place.  That will let it move the shaft a bit further betore the knob itself bottoms out in the hole.

Line 6 should take the OEM supplier of those knob assemblies to the woodshed.  This issue cropped up on my JTV-69 within two weeks of purchase.  Not worth sending it in for warrantly service, but an annoyance nonetheless.

• Upvote 1

spoke to soon  switch was a problem but now it wont upgrade

First Errer

Update Failed  (C80009000)  Unknown MIDI error

Make sure the cables are still connected and try the update again

when try again

Error opening MIDI ports

(C0de 8000900C device timed out waiting for a response

Make sure no other applications are using the MIDI ports connectied to the Tyler Variax

this shuts down the guitar btw

You're doing the update using the HD500 through the VDI yes? FWIW, the battery is not used when you use the VDI cable.

Just making sure you're not using the dongle that comes with the JTV as some people have had a few issues updating that way.

I don't think you would have to go back to v1.7 but it might worth a try. During the upgrade watch the dongle to see if it the status lights flip from green to red. When I got the midi timeout error I noticed that the RJ-45 end flipped from green to red on its own. I reflashed to down to v1.9 and then back up to v2 and didn't experience any more time out errors during the reflashing.

Cheers,

jayson

Does your JTV function correctly with 1.9? If so, then just upgrade again to 2 but watch the lights on the dongle. If your JTV is not functional with 1.9, then try reflashing to 1.7 and if that gives you a working guitar then reflashing back up to 2. Again watch the Workbench USB dongle as I believe the timeout errors might be due to it either not working correctly or having a bad cable.

Have you contacted Line 6 support? They should be able to assist you much better than this user forum in tracking down what your issue is.

Cheers,

jayson

You're doing the update using the HD500 through the VDI yes? FWIW, the battery is not used when you use the VDI cable.

Just making sure you're not using the dongle that comes with the JTV as some people have had a few issues updating that way.

What is the dongle? I never received one with mine, but I do have the title box where you plug the vdi cable and from there to the USB.

So, can I use just my HD500 to update the JTV69?

Thanks.

What is the dongle? I never received one with mine, but I do have the title box where you plug the vdi cable and from there to the USB.

So, can I use just my HD500 to update the JTV69?

Thanks.

Yes, the best way to update the JTV69 is to use the HD500. Yes, that box is the dongle, but just use the HD500 for the update. Use the dongle if you want to use Workbench.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I too tried flashing memory on JTV to 2.0, when I opened workbench HD all my presets were overwritten with ?????? or --------- marks

I had the gotten the same error (Code 8000900C    midi timed out/midi failed to open/etc...every time I tried to flash JTV from dongle....SO:

I reinstalled the drivers  and usb the firmware.... no success.

I tried rolling back flash memory - no such luck...

new usb and network cables...still no luck...

I was convinced my dongle was bad.

As a last resort went to church and got my HD500 and connected the usb to my laptop, variax to hd500 vdi input- started monkey and "choose device" screen I chose tyler variax-clicked ok, clicked on flash memory then clicked reinstall latest. select NO when it asks you if you want to save presets (for a new install of 2.0)  YES!!!!!!!!! SUCCESS!!!! after many long hours I then opened workbench HD thru my HD500 and it worked.

P.S. I am now trying to glue back the hair I ripped out so I don't look that bad during Christmas photos just more G.A.S. pains I guess- hopefully my lengthy trial can help someone else!

• 2 weeks later...

So I guess I have to buy an HD500?  Geez

Unfortunaltely the dongles don't work very well with the JTV, if you want to avoid lots of frustration and the likelihood of bricking your guitar I recommend either buying or borrowing an HD500.

You could always buy an HD500, do your updates, and return it.

Yes, it sucks. Maybe eventually Line 6 will work out the kinks with the dongle but I wouldn't hold my breath...

Using the HD500 to update the JTV is far more reliable than the dongle but it is not perfect.  I recently tried re-installing JTV v2 fw and hit the same midi errors using the HD500 on v2.2 fw.  After several attempts and having to disconnect and reconnect cables and power off and power on HD500 and JTV, it eventually worked.  I don't understand why there are so many issues with these latest fw updates.  So best of luck with your update - hope you get it to work! - you may just have to try quite a few times before it works - or settle for an earlier JTV fw version like 1.71 or 1.9 - in my experience they installed far more easily than v2.

• Upvote 1