Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

1/4" Outputs and Panning

jackwagner

I'm seeing some weird behavior with a preset that I created regarding the use of the 1/4" OUTs and how they are panned.

In my preset, I have the Output block of Path 1A assigned to 1/4" OUT and I pan it hard left in the Output block (Left 100). I have the Output block of Path 2A assigned to the 1/4" OUT and I pan it hard right in the Output block (Right 100). I expect to have only the output from Path 1A being output to the 1/4" L/MONO connector and only the output from Path 2A on the 1/4" RIGHT connector.

I connect the 1/4" Left output to a BASS amp; I connect the 1/4" Right output to a PA.

The issue is that the 1/4" L/MONO OUT has the signal from Path 1A AND the signal from Path 2A. I don't know if Line 6 did this intentionally because of the way the 1/4" Left output is labeled L/Mono or if this is a bug. FWIW, the 1/4" RIGHT output behaves as I expect, meaning only the signal on Path 2A is present.

In order to prevent Path 2A from being present on the 1/4" LEFT OUT, I have to insert a PAN block on Path 2A and pan hard right. That would be fine, except that I'm out of blocks on that Path.

FWIW, I don't see this same type of behavior when I use the XLR OUTs.

Anyone know if this is normal or a bug?

[EDIT]: I forgot to mention that I have a Helix RACK.

Thanks,
--jack

The Pan parameters are actually Balance parameters, so if you pan an output all the way to the left, it should only be sending the left side of the stereo signal. XLR and 1/4" outputs should behave the same way. Something else might be up—Parallel paths? Duplicate output blocks?

The Pan parameters are actually Balance parameters, so if you pan an output all the way to the left, it should only be sending the left side of the stereo signal. XLR and 1/4" outputs should behave the same way. Something else might be up—Parallel paths? Duplicate output blocks?

When my preset is setup to use the XLR outputs, it behaves the way that I expect. The signal that I expect on the Left XLR is the Bass guitar tone; the Right XML is the pitch shifted tone.

But when I use the 1/4" outputs, I get both tones in the 1/4" Left output and just the (expected) pitch shifted tone on the 1/4" Right output.

I don't think there are any parallel paths or duplicate output blocks - I will check again.

After reading your reply again...I'm pretty sure that both Path 1A and 2A on my preset are MONO signals. Perhaps that is part of the issue?

--jack