Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix vs Mimiq

DarthHollis

Sounds like a great base tone, but your audio’s all messed up in the left channel so it’s a bit hard to judge the comparison.

What amp model are you using there? The crunch tone’s lovely!

The cord from the mixing board to the video camera must have been dirty or something.

The amp models are a 5150 for the crunch and a US Double Nrm for clean with an Own Hammer 412 MAR EDVH MDRN-06 IR.

What brand case?  Seems pretty functional.  I like the mic stand mount too, probably find something like that at a hardware store.  Directly bolted to pedal board? 

Roadcases USA 32"x16".  The mic stand mount is a railing flange from Lowes.  Less than $10.  Yep, bolted to the board.  There is room underneath because I added some rubber feet to the bottom of the board.

• Upvote 1

Did a similar Mic Mounting to my old board using some plumbing supplies.  Used a threaded nipple on my board like you did, Gorilla Glued a threaded pipe to the shaft of a mic stand.  At setup, just had to screw the mic stand into my board....Was great.  I was using a talkbox and couldn't find a mic stand that had enough counter weight for the additional mic/tube weight.

I dont get the double take - at all...

To me it is just plain phase-poop.

I was really excited to see that they made such a model, but it sounds worse than what I can do with a normal delay-model. :/

I think it’s only practical if you run the Helix in stereo.

I was using this stereo like I do the Mimiq.  I even tried adding a delay to the effected side of the Double Take - add 35ms at 100 mix with no regeneration, to try to expand the stereo sound and it still didn't sound like the Mimiq.

My conclusion is I like the Mimiq much better and will keep using it until the Helix can beat it. 

It seems like I'm using the Mimiq in a way in which other people are not, so I really like that because it kind of gives me my own sound.

I got the Mimiq a few months back and have been using it in a stereo loop (loop shared with an H9), with one dub, tightness at 9 o clock, and both wet and dry maxed, hard panned left and right. It's not perfect, and it changes the tone (some more brightness that has to be compensated), but it works. 
I run the 1/4 outputs in stereo to my two wedge monitors and the XLRs to FOH. All my patches have dual amps and IRs.
I was hoping to find something similar with the Double Take, but there's some strange phasing issues on it that make me like the Mimiq better. Anyway, I find it usable. Heck, I am using it!
The settings I'm using on the double take are: 1 ; 2.0 ; 1.0 ; Stereo ; 0.0 ; 0.0.
My 2c.