Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Suddenly no sound coming out of my Helix

DimitriusK

I was rehearsing with my band and suddenly my Helix went silent (no sound coming out from the ¼’’ output).

Tuner doesn’t respond either so I assume there is some kind of problem with the input.  Tried to connect different guitars and various cables in order to make sure there was signal feed in the guitar input of the Helix.

All features and menus seem to work fine. I can navigate through presets and settings.

I created a support ticket and I am waiting for a reply.

I also tried to reset the device and updated the firmware. Still no sound.

Any ideas?

I was rehearsing with my band and suddenly my Helix went silent (no sound coming out from the ¼’’ output).

Tuner doesn’t respond either so I assume there is some kind of problem with the input.  Tried to connect different guitars and various cables in order to make sure there was signal feed in the guitar input of the Helix.

All features and menus seem to work fine. I can navigate through presets and settings.

Any ideas?

If you are using Helix Floor or Rack, try plugging into the Aux so see what happens. 

• Upvote 1

By the way…..while desperately experimenting with inputs and outputs I noticed that the left XLR output is made by Neutrik and the right is made by Amphenol. This seems a little bit strange. Has anyone else noticed mismatched parts on their Helix?  

post-181520-0-16871300-1513541293_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?

One of the things that has caused this in the past has been a corrupt preset(s). Does this seem to happen only on particular presets?  What version of the firmware are you on?

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things that has caused this in the past has been a corrupt preset(s). Does this seem to happen only on particular presets?  What version of the firmware are you o

I installed the latest firmware (2.30) and unfortunately the problem does not occur on specific presets. I also reset Helix to factory presets and globals but without any result.

Hi,

I am just wondering if you ever resolved this? I am on 2.30 and up until Christmas time the Helix worked flawlessly. A week or so back I had this problem, with the sound "stuttering first" then it went silent. Tried a few power on cycles. Nothing. Suddenly it came back.

It has just happened again tonight. Exactly the same. In my case the tuner was detecting the input, but nothing on my outputs or headphones.

I tried both my Variax and my Strat GK3/GR55 into the Helix to no avail. It was like this for ten minutes and then it came back to life. I don't recollect this happening before the 2.3 update, so is it a 2.3 bug?

• Like 1

Had similar problem few times. Think only since 2.3 upgrade:

On power up no sound from Helix. Not even playback from iTunes via USB. Helix on and Helix Editor communicating via same USB link but no sound. Each time it worked again after Helix reboot (simple power off and on again)

My Helix is powered via a UPS

Hi,

I am just wondering if you ever resolved this? I am on 2.30 and up until Christmas time the Helix worked flawlessly. A week or so back I had this problem, with the sound "stuttering first" then it went silent. Tried a few power on cycles. Nothing. Suddenly it came back.

It has just happened again tonight. Exactly the same. In my case the tuner was detecting the input, but nothing on my outputs or headphones.

I tried both my Variax and my Strat GK3/GR55 into the Helix to no avail. It was like this for ten minutes and then it came back to life. I don't recollect this happening before the 2.3 update, so is it a 2.3 bug?

Unfortunately I was not able to resolve this by myself.

My Helix was sent as advised by Line 6’s helpdesk to the authorized dealer (Thomann in Germany) that I bought it from. It’s been a month since then and still no news …..

Had similar problem few times. Think only since 2.3 upgrade:

On power up no sound from Helix. Not even playback from iTunes via USB. Helix on and Helix Editor communicating via same USB link but no sound. Each time it worked again after Helix reboot (simple power off and on again)

My Helix is powered via a UPS

The problem occurred in my case before the update to the latest firmware. I hopped that the 2.3 upgrade could fix this but I wasn’t lucky enough.

Unfortunately I was not able to resolve this by myself.

My Helix was sent as advised by Line 6’s helpdesk to the authorized dealer (Thomann in Germany) that I bought it from. It’s been a month since then and still no news …..

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to keep an eye on it then.....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I tried both my Variax and my Strat GK3/GR55 into the Helix to no avail. It was like this for ten minutes and then it came back to life. I don't recollect this happening before the 2.3 update, so is it a 2.3 bug?[/quote

Mine is found the exact same thing! Kinda frustrating... any luck on what it was? Mine JUST started doing this tonight and I play tomorrow:/...

Today I got an e-mail from Thomann explaining that the damage was caused by an applied voltage at the XLR output and that I am not entitled for a warranty repair.

I often use my Helix without an amp as many users of amp simulators like Helix do. I plug it directly to the soundboard which sometimes sends 48v phantom power to cover the voltage needs of DI boxes, condencer microphones etc.

Does anyone know if Helix is unable to handle the 48v phantom power at the XLR outputs?

Can anyone provide me with more information about the voltage tolerance of the Helix outputs?

Did anyone come across any article or review pointing out Helix’s inability to handle 48v phantom power voltage?

Today I got an e-mail from Thomann explaining that the damage was caused by an applied voltage at the XLR output and that I am not entitled for a warranty repair.

I often use my Helix without an amp as many users of amp simulators like Helix do. I plug it directly to the soundboard which sometimes sends 48v phantom power to cover the voltage needs of DI boxes, condencer microphones etc.

Does anyone know if Helix is unable to handle the 48v phantom power at the XLR outputs?

Can anyone provide me with more information about the voltage tolerance of the Helix outputs?

Did anyone come across any article or review pointing out Helix’s inability to handle 48v phantom power voltage?

Hi Dimitrius,

It seems that the main issue with phantom power and XLR connection is noise, not physical damage.

See this thread:

http://line6.com/support/topic/21367-phantom-power-and-helix/

Also I found another thread regarding phantom power on the Helix LT - check it out.

http://line6.com/support/topic/28616-helix-lt-phantom-power/?hl=phantom+power

Especially read comment #4 from Digital Igloo. He states that the hardware will not be damaged by using phantom power. Digital Igloo (Eric) is the man who knows best.

Late additional info - I found this in the knowledge base.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/helix/helix-xlr-outputs-and-48v-phantom-power-r771

Hope this helps.

You did change guitars/cables and bypassed any pedals while troubleshooting this issue, correct?

I did all of the above. The sound will cut in and out and then just have no sound at all. I have to reset it over and over again then take everything out and plug everything in one at a time slowly. I can get maybe 15 minuets of playing before I have to do the cycle again. I’ve put 3 different guitars and 4 different cords with all the same result

I did all of the above. The sound will cut in and out and then just have no sound at all. I have to reset it over and over again then take everything out and plug everything in one at a time slowly. I can get maybe 15 minuets of playing before I have to do the cycle again. I’ve put 3 different guitars and 4 different cords with all the same result

Did you open a support ticket with Line 6?

I am curious to see the outcome of this.  This Helix is an "expensive brick" if it is susceptible to Phantom Power voltage and I am sure there are plenty of owners who use their Helix with the presence of Phantom Power.

By the way…..while desperately experimenting with inputs and outputs I noticed that the left XLR output is made by Neutrik and the right is made by Amphenol. This seems a little bit strange. Has anyone else noticed mismatched parts on their Helix?  

The Amphenol connector is a switching XLR connector. There is a switch inside this connector which detects when it has a cable attached which tells the helix it should output a stereo signal to XLR.

When it does not detect an XLR connected to the right connector it sums the signal to mono and only sends it to the left connector.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I am also dealing with this issue on firmware 2.30, so please let us know what comes of your support ticket (I have a ticket open as well).

It seems to happen any time I end up editing or creating patches, either on the unit itself, or by using the HX Edit software. Everything seems to save fine, but the Helix just stops recognizing any input from my guitar. I switch to the tuner to verify, and no matter what I do, the tuner doesn't pick up any signal. 2.30 has been nothing but frustration for me.

The Amphenol connector is a switching XLR connector. There is a switch inside this connector which detects when it has a cable attached which tells the helix it should output a stereo signal to XLR.

When it does not detect an XLR connected to the right connector it sums the signal to mono and only sends it to the left connector.

Thank you very much.

This makes sense!!

• Like 1

Helix manual, p.7:

IMPORTANT! Never connect the Helix device's XLR outputs to a device

whose XLR inputs have 48V phantom power enabled!

My version of the manual unfortunately does not state anything about XLR outputs and phantom power. (see attached document) 
First thoughts was that line 6 found out about this defect later and instead of solving it they decided that it was cheaper to update the manual with a warning.
I had the privilege of communicating with Frank Ritchotte regarding my problem who ensured me that “ Phantom power can’t cause damage it just makes the Helix sound like crap.â€
post-181520-0-11112300-1517382477_thumb.jpg

Phantom power is well known to break most devices which are not designed to make use of or need it.

I've seen people fry the headphone output on both expensive macbook pros and mac pros as well as phones by using minijack to XLR cables on digital consoles and forgetting to turn off phantom power before connecting them. Hell, i did it myself to my own phone one time.

The only sure way to protect yourself from this lollipopup with helix is to buy/make a phantom power blocker (they are dead simple devices containing only two small capacitors) and leaving them in your helix at all times.

Technically the helix has phantom protection built in but the problem is that some devices will supply significantly more than the standard 48 volts (as much as 96 volts!) To support legacy devices or by poor design and it is possible that helix's phantom protection on the outputs is not designed to prevent damage by these higher voltages.

In the early helix days many people reported noise and distortion on their XLR outputs and the cause was phantom power on the lines. Apparently their units were ok after a reboot and disabling phantom but it's not worth the risk IMO.

• 5 months later...

My Helix is starting to have the same problem live, all of a sudden it stops sending sound out through XLR o 1/4". Firmware updated, and still not working well. It just happens sometimes but in the middle of a concert! This sucks!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Did they ever find out what this problem was caused by?????

I restored my to factory settings, performed all the updates, not using any 3rd party files/IRs... still just STOPS registering INPUT for no reason (tuner goes dead also)????
I can't even use it to record/rehears with when it is doing this, none the less attempt to play live with it.

SMH, come one, Line6...

21 minutes ago, Ronnmax said:

Did they ever find out what this problem was caused by?????

I restored my to factory settings, performed all the updates, not using any 3rd party files/IRs... still just STOPS registering INPUT for no reason (tuner goes dead also)????
I can't even use it to record/rehears with when it is doing this, none the less attempt to play live with it.

SMH, come one, Line6...

Have you opened up a support ticket about this issue? Line 6 can only help you with issues they know about. The forums aren't support forums, so there's no guarantee that anyone from Line 6 has seen your post (they probably haven't. Just because your Helix is showing a similar symptom as someone else, it doesn't mean it's caused by the same issue.

https://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

One would think a solution that worked could at least be mentioned for general consumption. It's always better to be given the idea that someone cares and the side benefit would be that the fix works and one less ticket is required. Just sayin'.

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2019 at 12:53 PM, phil_m said:

Have you opened up a support ticket about this issue? Line 6 can only help you with issues they know about. The forums aren't support forums, so there's no guarantee that anyone from Line 6 has seen your post (they probably haven't. Just because your Helix is showing a similar symptom as someone else, it doesn't mean it's caused by the same issue.

https://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

Yes Sir,
They told me to find a local authorized tech or send it to them in Cali ($90 bench fee plus shipping, of course).
Not the answer I was hoping for but oh well...  have left messages with our "local" tech, no reply yet.

I really feel for anyone who uses a HELIX as a full time live/recording rig... this problem will leave you dead in the water unless you have a back up rig.

:(

17 hours ago, Ronnmax said:

I really feel for anyone who uses a HELIX as a full time live/recording rig... this problem will leave you dead in the water unless you have a back up rig.

FYI... It is common practice for full time players to have back up rigs regardless of their setup. 

I love how these threads make it sound like amps and pedals never failed :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

¹344

3 hours ago, codamedia said:

FYI... It is common practice for full time players to have back up rigs regardless of their setup. 

I love how these threads make it sound like amps and pedals never failed :)

Lol. Everything fails sooner or later. I once had a JCM800 head start belching smoke on stage (at sound check, fortunately). Another time a Carvin TS100 power amp just went dead between sets one night...had it on standby, flicked it on, and a whole lot of nothing. I used to drag around an old ADA Microtube 200 power amp as a backup in those days... finished the night with that.

Having no backup rig is like driving from NY to LA without a spare tire... you're practically begging for a flat.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ronnmax said:

I always have a back up rig handy...
I spoke of people who CAN'T or DON'T.

To which I will reiterate....

"I love how these threads make it sound like amps and pedals never failed :)"

I feel for you, and anyone else who has had their Helix (or other gear) die on them... it's a terrible feeling! All I'm saying is... any piece of gear can leave you high and dry at any given moment. It's not like the Helix is dying left, right and center - we are just meeting on the forum where people report it. 

• 5 months later...

Hi!

I'm a fortunate owner of a random stop sound helix!

In January the local support center changed mine motherboard and now (line6 authorized them to changes it for free), after 5 months, the problem comes up again!

I've installed the last updated, 2.92 but without solutions.

I think it will be an issue caused by the internal PSU that brokes the AD/DA converter....

• 1 month later...

Hi robiox,

Did you find a solution for this? I’m just having the same issues after updating to 2.92 FW.

I think It has to be something related to firmware and presets incompatibility.  I noted It started after installing some third party presets originaly made with 2.5 or previous FW.  I did a full factory reset and everything was fine until I installed an old preset.  Then I made a full factory reset again, worked great for weeks, I was able to load my backup from 2.81 FW then yesterday loaded a old preset and ten minutes later the Helix Floor started to stutter clipping input and few seconds lateral no sound. It was connected to my laptop. 

Any idea??