Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3 band compressor success.!. use and tips?

shanecgriffo

I had rehearsal today, in a fairly new band and had been struggling a little just sitting well in the mix. There's keyboards in the band so the guitar doesn't want to be too thick, plus we do music of a more polished poppy/light rock/country flavour- not my natural choice but it is still fun.. anyway suddenly today i just thought i'll try the 3 band compressor to see if it helps and Whammo! instantly a more polished tighter sound that sat the guitar in the band mix much better with the other instruments. I placed it at the almost,end of the chain (but before reverb) and just had the default settings, the only thing i changed was the ratio- using 4:1 for i tighter produced sound or 2:1 to just tame the bottoms a bit.. It worked really well, give it a go if you're struggling sitting the guitar in the mix.. has anyone else used it much? and are there any tips for adjusting those other settings?

i played around with it a bit more tonight and am finding that the default setting but with ratio set at 2:1 gives a nice balancing response across the strings -so that the bass strings are a little more focused and the treble strings not so thin.. very nice ðŸ‘

warning- it doesn't sound great in every situation tho