Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firing up a power amp and 2x12 cab tonight, pointers welcome!

DirtFarmer

Hey guys, I've been playing my helix thru a Mixer -> Tannoy 802's monitors.  Absolutely love it.  However I wanted to convert to a live rig using a guitar cab.  I have powered speakers but wanted to give this a shot and see how I like it.

Passive pickups -> Helix rack -> Art Sla-1 -> 2x12 cab loaded with G12T-75's

Any pointers on settings or adjustments I should make?  I realize I won't get the same tone as my monitors and also I will need to eliminate the cab impulses.  I'll be starting from scratch so I won't be adding the cab's anyways.

I also understand ohms and how to connect all the wiring.  Going with a stereo setup, the cab has single connectors for each speaker. 

Thanks!

I realize I won't get the same tone as my monitors and also I will need to eliminate the cab impulses.

You may or may not find this to be the case... on paper this would be the "correct" way to go about it, as you shouldn't "need" a cab model when using an actual cabinet, but there are no real rules with modeling gear. Try it both ways and see what you like. I ran the HD500X with full models and cab sims in "studio direct" mode, into a tube power amp and 4x12 Marshall cab for years before going FRFR. Could never get the preamp only models without cab sims to sound like anything but a rusty chainsaw. All depends on the sound you're after, and the end result is all that matters. How you get there is entirely up to you, and a "wrong way" doesn't really exist.

• Upvote 3

Given the short time horizon until your gig you may want to be prepared to use the Global EQ. Not an ideal solution but you may find it the quickest easiest way to adjust your current presets to going through a different setup until you have time to really sit down and customize them individually for a different amp rig. Keep in mind that the Global EQ does not apply to the L6 Link digital output.

Well that amp came in a day late... thanks holiday shoppers!  I ended up running it thru 1x2 Mesa Boogie Thiele cab.  I intend to run it in stereo to a 2x12 cab but didn't feel like tearing down my wall of cabs just yet. So I opted for the easy cab I had lying around.

First off I used my old patches, just bypassing the cab impulses.  I was blown away instantly.  I don't what exactly it is about using a guitar cab that I like over my Tannoy 802 monitors, but it felt like I was jamming at rehearsal. Didn't feel as blended as I had been used too, I get why but just forgot that feeling I guess. 

I spent a couple hours trying different heads, absolutely love it.  Felt inspired to jam, even used the looper to do some creative stuff.  Which I don't do much anymore, seems like all I do is lessons and song learning for cover bands.  Can't wait to try it with a 2x12 and 4x12.

Helix -> Art SLA-1 -> Mesa Boogie Thiele 1x12

-> Korg tuner (always on)