Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Basic Android Utility for Helix Backup and Restore

MusicLaw

Line 6 is long overdue to provide a basic Helix Housekeeping Android utility for easy Backup & Restore of Helix Presets, Setlists, Globals, and for those who use them, IRs. This would allow for easy storage (local device, removable, or cloud based), and transferrance (via email or cloud) of Helix content. The only hardware requirement would be for an inexpensive USB OTG Cable. The vast majority of Android Deivices have already supported USB On The Go for years. 

Here's Statisa's Gartner Data showing Worldwide Smartphone OS Marketshare:

post-2375236-0-64263300-1513885885_thumb.png

post-2375236-0-64263300-1513885885_thumb.png

Line 6 is long overdue to provide a basic Helix Housekeeping Android utility for easy Backup & Restore of Helix Presets, Setlists, Globals, and for those who use them, IRs. This would allow for easy storage (local device, removable, or cloud based), and transferrance (via email or cloud) of Helix content. The only hardware requirement would be for an inexpensive USB OTG Cable. The vast majority of Android Deivices have already supported USB On The Go for years. 

Here's Statisa's Gartner Data showing Worldwide Smartphone OS Marketshare:

Android would only be useful for this archiving stuff, though, as I still haven't seen usable audio functions. But it would be cool to be able to do all that with a mobile device. I think iOS gets more attention because it has more music-centric functions. Those numbers for usage are a little weird too, considering just how many (as in variety) of devices and price points for Android, and certainly a large % of those devices are well below the processor/memory necessary for advanced functions.

The other problem is the ongoing problem with both Android and Apple in providing a stable platform for interfacing with external devices.  The best example is the recent Spider V amp which was supposed to have an edit app available.  However, once the Spider V's shipped Android and Apple both had upgraded certain device standards so unless you have an older OS on your phone, the app wouldn't work.  It still doesn't work to this day, so they quickly developed one to run on Windows so people could at least back things up.

As far as I'm concerned I really would prefer to backup and restore my presets from a more robust and proven filing system like the PC that has plenty of utilities for backup and restoration.  My work depends on those backups and I know I can trust my PC and it's filing system and my backups there.  Phones are okay for saving pictures or playing songs, but not for storage of really critical info that you can't afford to lose.

That's probably why banks don't backup your banking account info on phones I suspect  ;)

Full backups are pretty big too, another reason why phones aren't a great real backup device. Might be handy in an emergency, but that's exactly when you want something really solid.

The real shame to me is that the Helix can't read and write to a USB stick directly, but that ship has sailed, the hardware's the wrong gender.

I have a older Samsung S4 Active that works with USB OTG just fine for all sorts of large image files, documents, and more. All it takes is a USB OTG cable. There's plenty of capacity and storage on the device, not to mention that it is a cinch to insert a Memory chip as an alternative to the USB OTG cable. Can't do that with an iPhone unless you!

For basic Backup, Restore and Transfer, a 4 year old Samsung Active 4 can do the job.

For stable backups, use a PC or Mac, or simply save the files to the cloud, thumb drive, or external device of your choice. This is not rocket science nor brain/cardiac surgery, guys! The Full HX Edit features and Music/Audio functionality, granted are not well supported by the mobile OS offerings from Google nor Apple.