Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cabinet modeling, turning it off?

Kenray51

I just had the painful epiphany of why my sound has been torturing me for many years. I have the HD400 and have never been completely satisfied with my dirty tones, but have been ok w/my clean tones. I am playing through a Zilla 2x12 closed cabinet. I finally realized I have all the cabs in my patches turned on and thought that was ok. Now I'm realizing that I probably shouldn't have had thoseturned on. Queue the Homer D'oh!!!

I have a Helix LT on the way. I am assuming the advice would be that I don't turn on the cabinet modeling feature when dialing in my tones. Appreciate the help. I won't be recording with this - it will strictly be a working gig tool.

I just had the painful epiphany of why my sound has been torturing me for many years. I have the HD400 and have never been completely satisfied with my dirty tones, but have been ok w/my clean tones. I am playing through a Zilla 2x12 closed cabinet. I finally realized I have all the cabs in my patches turned on and thought that was ok. Now I'm realizing that I probably shouldn't have had thoseturned on. Queue the Homer D'oh!!!

I have a Helix LT on the way. I am assuming the advice would be that I don't turn on the cabinet modeling feature when dialing in my tones. Appreciate the help. I won't be recording with this - it will strictly be a working gig tool.

There is no right/wrong/should/shouldn't with modelers. I did the exact same thing for years with the HD500X...because I liked it that way. Even running into a power amp and Marshall cab, using just the amp model with no cab sims sounded horrific to me. So I did what worked, and in the end that's all that matters.

The same is true of Helix...try it both ways and see what you prefer. If it sounds good, it is good. How you got it there is largely irrelevant.

• Upvote 1