Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X Tone issues

pbenninger

I'm having a bit of a problem dialing out excessive "sizzle" in my tones. I can't seem to get that smooth, creamy distortion. It seems that there's a bit too much treble that I can't dial out. The tone controls on the amp models don't seem to have as much effect on the tones that I would expect. I've tried direct connect, and have experimented with the combo/stack output options. Currently, I'm using it with an H&K Deluxe 20 via the 4-wire method. That helps a bit, but I can't get the sound that I'd like using the POD alone.

Anyone else have this problem? If you have suggestions or if you could point me to some online information, I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks very much

I use the PODHD into a Marshall JCM900 and Marshall 1936 cab.  What works the best for me is to use the Studio Direct output of the PODHD into the FX return of the amp.  Then use the Pre versions of the Amp models in the PODHD and don't use any cab modeling - since I'm already using a real cab.  

Make sure you have Input 1 on the PODHD set to guitar and input 2 set to Variax.  Input impedance can make a difference too but I'd leave that at the default for now.

Get your tone as close as possible then drop in an EQ and search for that last bit of fizz by using a narrow Q and cutting the offending frequencies.

It may take a while to find what works best for you.  It can be frustrating for a while but it'll be worth it. There's lots of people here to help you through this.  We've all been there.

Hey!! I appreciate the responses. I'm getting closer thanks you your help! I'm amazed at the difference it makes just turning off Input 2! Never thought of that option. I've played with the mid-focus EQ and it's pretty cool as I'm going for some of those snarly mids. I"m going to try the eq as a "notch filter" to try to dial out some of the other sizzle.

Thanks for the help!!