Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to get the best sound from Helix

dfennessey1122

Well...i have played with both the Helix LT and Helix Native for a couple of months now....still lacking as stand alone products...i have found a really good way to make them sound great though...especially the LT....use the return input to interface your favorite preamp output. Then use the IR cabinet feature to select really good sounding IR cabs 2048 points of course.... I have 2 preamps...a Mesa Rectifier recording preamp, and an ENGL E530....both great sounding preamps both clean and dirty in the case of the ENGL, and awesome as a rectifier for the Mesa.....sorry but you just can't get that sound from the amp models....i really tried...they are sounding better though, that is for sure....but compared to the MESA and ENGL....not so much....i do like the Bogner Uber amp model though...it does sound really good with an external TS808 reissue pedal plugged in on the front end....the real pedal sounds so much better and is much quieter than the model of the TS808...again...i tried to use the model, just wasn't getting the job done to my liking.

That said.....i guess you are wondering why bother with the Helix?....you can bring in IR cabs a lot of different ways....well, some of the effects are really cool and the workflow is really nice....i also like the Twin Reverb amp model for clean playing with IR cabs....oh i forgot to mention...the built in cabs are really lame...not sure who signed off on those....very few parameters to tweak too....the Overloud TH3 cabs and controls are much better and very comparable to the high resolution IR's, amp models, not so much.....and the Helix effects are better, at least some of them...also don't throw your HD 500X away ...i prefer some of the HD effects to the Helix equivalents like the memory man and stereo delay...

Hopefully i have given you some food for thought in case you are a little underwhelmed about how to get the awesome sound with your Helix that you were looking for....you have to go a little further as it turns out, but then it will sound amazing...i love the palette of sounds i can get now and feel like nothing is lacking after years of pursuit....good luck...and looking forward to your comments.

Dan

no need for anything besides helix here.. maybe you are just accustomed to the sound of your preamps? is it possible? anyway so far for me, after having helix almost 18 months i like it more and more and after trying different setups - pedals, preamps etc- in the fx loops i just use it pretty much standalone now and pretty much every day :)

• Downvote 1

I tried to get used to the Helix alone....at first i was thinking i could reduce equipment to make room in my studio....but when i listened to recordings i made with my amps compared to the Helix...it just didn't sound as good...my external pedals sound just the way i want them too....but  like i said, the Helix effects offer a greater variety....maybe that is the issue for me....it is to easy to A/B the comparison...i think you are right in saying without that....i could probably be happy with a Helix alone......mmmmmm....in a year or so... :)

I also have the E530 and using the 4CM it sounds great with the Helix. BUT....I will never use it this way live. It just makes setup that much more complicated.  I can easily get usable sounds out of the Helix by itself. At my gigs, I can be setup and running within 5 minutes.

My last gig, I used the Derailed Ingrid with a Rosen IR, (the Legacy 4x12) for the whole show. It was a benefit with about 12 different bands. There where a lot of guitarists in the audience. Everyone I talked to complimented my tone.  A couple guys assumed I was using the provided back line amp(a Marshall tube combo).

Helix into a FRFR is all I need.