Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Navigation from a specific snapshot in one preset to another SS in another...

RockManDan

Hey all,

Just got a helix a couple of days ago and im having a blast.  Im trying to best figure out my workflow, coming from using a multiple-bypass switcher.  In the past, on my old pxl-live, I could go from preset 1A, browse up to bank 6 and select 6C for example, and the sound wouldn't change until i hit that final button, making my audio relatively seamless even though i had to hit several stomps to get there (but those can be done at anytime in the song, since they dont effect the audio).

Is there any way to do this with the helix?  Say I'm cruising right along playing various parts in one preset ("dan").  I've got snapshots set up for rhthym/lead/clean/clean lead/etc, but I want to, for a specific part of the song, go to another preset, but specific snapshot tone INSIDE that preset.  From the looks of it, I have to use either of a few methods to go up to a different preset, but I can't select the specific snapshot I want until AFTER i select that preset, and that's annoying. So the sound temporarily changes to a sound I don't want, until I quickly select the snapshot I DO want.  FYI im finding I prefer to run in the mode that displays all 8 snapshots at once in a given preset.  But even if I were to run in the mixed preset/snapshot mode, I think I still have to actively go into a new preset, using it's default snapshot, THEN go to the snapshot I want, meanwhile my sound has already changed for a beat or two

Is there no way to navigate and switch to a specific snapshot in another preset without changing the sound until you hit GO?  I don't mind hitting multiple buttons if the sounds dont change in the interrim.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Any help would be appreciated.

When you save a preset. it remembers what snapshot it was on, and recalling it brings up that snap.

So the direct answer to your question AFAIK is that you'd have to modify the destination preset so the snapshot you wanted was the default. You could maybe do that on the fly before the song or the set starts.

Is there no way to navigate and switch to a specific snapshot in another preset without changing the sound until you hit GO? .....

There may be a way using an external midi controller but I haven't explored that.

Using the device itself there's no way. As you describe you have to select the destination preset first, which immediately changes the sound, and then select the desired snapshot. As mentioned above you can prepare the destination preset by pre-selecting the desiredsnapshot before saving the preset.

Well that's unfortunate. It seems like that would be an easy thing to program, no?  I mean in preset mode you can scroll through banks up and down without the sound changing until you select one, so it seems fair to reason one could, while in snapshot mode, scroll up/down through various presets and have their snapshots show on the main switches, not changing anything until you select one.  That would really be special.

If it were to be implemented I think it would have to be as a global setting. You don't want to slow down the preset switching process, or add another footstomp to it, for all users at all times . I think most users would likely not use the feature. They want minimal time/dancing to switch presets and seem generally OK with the way things are now in this respect.

If it were to be implemented I think it would have to be as a global setting. You don't want to slow down the preset switching process, or add another footstomp to it, for all users at all times . I think most users would likely not use the feature. They want minimal time/dancing to switch presets and seem generally OK with the way things are now in this respect.

Check out my proposal. Of equal importance is to have this as an option so that you don't have to use it if you don't need or like it.

• Upvote 1

You can use external MIDI controller to do that for you. I use an app with my iPhone called Set List Maker to select presets with a single touch, you can use an external foot switch if needed. The App can be programmed to trigger any MIDI event to and from devices.

If you were to use backing tracks, then presets and settings within the Helix can be programmed to trigger automatically during the performance.

I simply use it to create my Set List and tap the name of the next song, then the App activates the preset in the Helix, trigger, a flashing metronome (the drummer likes that) on the iPhone and starts the scrolling lyrics. But it can do much more.

• 1 month later...

So no one else thinks it would helpful to be able to navigate from Preset1Snapshot3 to Preset8Snapshot2 without the sound changing in between? Snapshots create the ability to have a huge variety of sound in a single preset. I feel like if theres a certain tone you need for a certain part, the ability to quickly get there in a pinch without audibly cycling through a bunch of different sounds on the way would be really helpful. And it would barely require any new functionality. Just a different scroll mode when in 8snapshot mode.

But you would still encounter the pause as part of loading a new preset, so it's not really seamless as if it were a snapshot in the original patch.  At a minimum it would be the same as switching to a new patch, so you would get the same effect as having the snapshot by itself in it's own separate preset.  You'd be better off just doing that.

So no one else thinks it would helpful to be able to navigate from Preset1Snapshot3 to Preset8Snapshot2 without the sound changing in between? Snapshots create the ability to have a huge variety of sound in a single preset. I feel like if theres a certain tone you need for a certain part, the ability to quickly get there in a pinch without audibly cycling through a bunch of different sounds on the way would be really helpful. And it would barely require any new functionality. Just a different scroll mode when in 8snapshot mode.

I can see how it might be useful, but I don't know if it would be of much use to me personally. I never change presets during a song, so it's not really a big deal to change a preset and select a different snapshot if I need to.

But you would still encounter the pause as part of loading a new preset, so it's not really seamless as if it were a snapshot in the original patch. At a minimum it would be the same as switching to a new patch, so you would get the same effect as having the snapshot by itself in it's own separate preset. You'd be better off just doing that.

Amen. With 8 available snapshots, myriad path routing options, and more ways to get a lead boost than I can shake a stick at...I honestly can't envision a song that I'd need more than one preset for anymore.

Hell, if you actually used 8 snapshots in a 3 minute tune, you'd be changing something every 22.5 seconds...I've never heard a song that would require that much tap dancing...and if I do, it ain't going on the set list.😂