Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I am sooooo excited about this...

pinoy1

Anyone else excited for this?  Saw this from TGP, a quote from phil_m...

"So about the alleged HX reverbs... I can finally say they’re real and they’re spectacular! I think I will be saying goodbye to the BigSky very soon..."

• Upvote 1

And no, I'm not saying they won't be awesome. They will be, I'm sure of it.

But let's remember that we are all different. There are guys who are still using drive pedals with this thing and I think that's nuts (for me)... so... we are all different...

That said... can't wait for us all to get this in our hands!

If its anywhere as good as BigSky is (yes I own and use one), then yes I will be very excited and surprised as well. Phil has usually been spot on in most areas here so that's why I'm holding judgment on this till I hear it, and not off handily dismissing this as total and complete BS.  ;)

OH YEAH!  :P

I recently bought Fabfilter's Pro-R reverb, it has become my go to reverb.  I have a couple of other good reverb plugins as well, reverb is one of my favorite FX. I never owned a Bigsky though...

I am really excited about Helix's improved reverbs. This makes Helix/Native even more useful for things other than guitar!

HX reverbs should also give me an improved wet monitor for guitar/vocals, and even bigger palette of high quality reverbs to chose from when recording. I don't really use the Helix reverbs much in my final ReAmping/mixing, so this may change that. I hope it does.

If its anywhere as good as BigSky is (yes I own and use one), then yes I will be very excited and surprised as well. Phil has usually been spot on in most areas here so that's why I'm holding judgment on this till I hear it, and not off handily dismissing this as total and complete BS.  ;)

I’m not dismissing it. On the contrary... But there are certain things that single pedals do really well, and BigSky is amazing.

For some, nothing but that will do. For others, like myself, these new verbs are going to drastically expand the sonic palette of what I do and delight me.

I think that everybody will be very pleased with 2.3x or whatever it’s going to be called. Truly.

I'm not dismissing anything either. I'm just saying that Helix is not a reverb pedal first and foremost, just like Big Sky isn't a guitar processor. That said, surprises are always nice and I'd really like the Helix devs to surprise me on this.

I think that everybody will be very pleased with 2.3x or whatever it’s going to be called. Truly.

Don't think I've ever been annoyed, or even "disappointed" by a firmware update. Indifferent perhaps, if it was just a minor bug fix that didn't affect me either way...but generally speaking there's always something worthwhile in them. The ones who get progressively pissier with each update are usually those who think it should include a panini press and lifetime membership in the Jelly of the Month Club. That demographic will never be happy...

• Upvote 1

I’m not saying the new reverbs will do everything the BigSky does. The BigSky has 12 reverb machines. But I think the new HX reverbs are definitely right up there in quality as the BigSky. Personally, I’ve never really used the BigSky up to its full potential... I only use a few of the machines.

...But I think the new HX reverbs are definitely right up there in quality as the BigSky. Personally, I’ve never really used the BigSky up to its full potential... I only use a few of the machines...

I've never used the BigSky, only heard demos, but yes, the new HX verbs are going to bring a smile to faces.

Woohoo! What about the other stereo effects - the chorus and doubler in particular?

They have not announced anything in the new firmware update except the HX verbs. And some of us know that yes, in fact, they are awesome.

I have a sneaking suspicion there might be more goodies, but no word as to what those are yet.

Woohoo! What about the other stereo effects - the chorus and doubler in particular?

I'm not sure I understand the question. There's already a mono version of the Double Take effect, and the only chorus that's not available as a mono version is the Trinity Chorus, iirc...

I'm not sure I understand the question. There's already a mono version of the Double Take effect, and the only chorus that's not available as a mono version is the Trinity Chorus, iirc...

Perhaps he's referring to the widespread view that the doubler is not great in mono. I concur. It is only great in mono in one particular configuration as I recall... I only use it in stereo myself.

I should have clarified.  

Yes, you are correct but the Double Take sounds really odd in mono and we really could use a mono version of the Trinity. But also, the Helix really should have an option to sum the outputs to mono. That way, you could run the thing in either mode and not have to replace the stereo effects with mono ones or vice-versa. The left XLR output says "mono" but it sounds like just the left channel of a stereo signal to me. Not sure if it does in fact auto-detect that there's only one connector attached to the XLR connectors.

I should have clarified.  

Yes, you are correct but the Double Take sounds really odd in mono and we really could use a mono version of the Trinity. But also, the Helix really should have an option to sum the outputs to mono. That way, you could run the thing in either mode and not have to replace the stereo effects with mono ones or vice-versa. The left XLR output says "mono" but it sounds like just the left channel of a stereo signal to me. Not sure if it does in fact auto-detect that there's only one connector attached to the XLR connectors.

Yes, using just the left output of either the XLR or 1/4" output pairs will sum the signal to mono automatically. There's an easy way to test if it's working correctly. Just hard pan something to the right and make sure it shows up in the summed output.