Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wireless Receiver when using Helix

GenoBluzGtr

I just got a Relay G10 Wireless for Christmas, and was wondering how many of you have your wireless receiver on the floor with your Helix?  

I do not have a hard-case (thinking about it) and I'm Loathe to just set my G10 Receiver on the floor next to the Helix - too easy to get damaged that way - and running a cable from Helix to the Receiver placed somewhere else (in a PA cab, by my FRFR speaker, etc.... kinda kills part of the purpose of having a wireless to begin with.  Yes, Guitar is no longer tethered, but would still need to run an instrument cable somewhere. 

If you DO set it on the floor, any issues??

I just got a Relay G10 Wireless for Christmas, and was wondering how many of you have your wireless receiver on the floor with your Helix?  

If you DO set it on the floor, any issues??

I use the G10 at home and at church. It just sits on the floor right next to Helix connected with a 12†cable. Zero issues. Love it.

I'm on my third G10.

It's a great unit EXCEPT if your bass player has a drunken girlfriend.  Mine does.

The connection between the receiver and the USB/power connector is terrible.  All it takes is one bass player's drunken girlfriend to step on it and it's toast.

So now I have tons of tape and foam around the connection and I scream at her (and others) anytime they get within a 5 foot radius of the unit.

If Line 6 would redesign the receiver with a professionally-executed connection, the G10 would be perfect.

• Upvote 1

The connection between the receiver and the USB/power connector is terrible.  All it takes is one bass player's drunken girlfriend to step on it and it's toast.

If Line 6 would redesign the receiver with a professionally-executed connection, the G10 would be perfect.

As suggested above and on the forum about wireless... use a magnetic micro USB cable. Any significant pressure and the magnetic link disconnects meaning no damage to the receiver.

running a cable from Helix to the Receiver placed somewhere else (in a PA cab, by my FRFR speaker, etc.... kinda kills part of the purpose of having a wireless to begin with.  Yes, Guitar is no longer tethered, but would still need to run an instrument cable somewhere.

Well, up until I got the G50 (sits on the upper tier of my pedalboard) - every wireless I've ever run I made the connection from receiver to input with a standard length cable.  Just belt-and-suspenders, if something glitched with the transmitter I was just a quick swap away from being back in the game.  After the first few months of hard gigging with the 50 I acknowledged it was pretty much bullet proof and made a custom short cable - hasn't failed me yet...

I set my g10 on stage next to my Helix or just behind it. My stage scene and audience are usually relatively tame so I've never had any problems with damage or a connection coming loose. Though I could see an act that is very lively on stage and/or has raucous audience you may want to move your g10 somewhere else.

As suggested above and on the forum about wireless... use a magnetic micro USB cable. Any significant pressure and the magnetic link disconnects meaning no damage to the receiver.

Thanks for the reply.  I've tried those magnetic connectors - they're flaky.  Some work, some don't at all.

But we shouldn't have to resort to "solutions".  If you look inside the receiver (G10), you'll see that the connection was designed and installed by a chimpanzee with very small hands.

I just ordered two of the Mag connectors and they work fine in my iPhone and for charging up my work Android and my power pac.... but do not make a consistent connection in the G10 receiver.  The "normal" cable works fine, but I wanted the Mag connectors to work, too.  Guess I'll just have to keep using the regular cable for now.  For some reason the tip with the Mag Connectors has to be wiggled to get a connection with the receiver.  I just do NOT want to be wiggling this thing more than I have to. 

I run a G10 with my Helix.

Originally, I had the receiver on the floor... but the mess of wires was annoying me, so I moved the receiver onto a shelf.

In either location, the G10 worked flawlessly with the Helix.  No issues.

I also have a set of Sennheiser wireless headphones, that run on the same frequency (2.4GHz) as the G10, and never had any issues there either...

As a matter of fact, most WiFi signals run on 2.4GHz as well, and both the G10 and the Sennheisers seem to 'play nicely' with WiFi too.