Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Windows 10 Helix drivers - not working

dornstein

Just now trying to get my Windows 10 PC (Surface Pro) to connect to my new (awesome!) Helix.  The driver is not working.

I installed version 1.87 (the latest version of the driver).  I've done a fair number of installs, and eventually did a full uninstall and then reinstall, rebooting each time in between (and having the Helix not plugged in).  That appears to be all the advice in the forums available.  I'm using Chrome to download, so don't have the issue about driver signing -- I think.  

In the Windows Device Manager the Line 6 Helix driver shows with an error exclamation point icon.  The error text says:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

{Bad Image}
%hs is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0x"

I know my way around a Windows PC pretty well (worked at Microsoft for the past many, many years).

Any suggestions?  I'm dead in the water.  Can't do any design work, download anything, update the firmware, etc...   :(

Thanks,

David

Just now trying to get my Windows 10 PC (Surface Pro) to connect to my new (awesome!) Helix.  The driver is not working.

Any suggestions?  I'm dead in the water.  Can't do any design work, download anything, update the firmware, etc...   :(

Thanks,

David

Open a support ticket with Line 6 and have them help you out. 

I would definitely start with an uninstall of the driver and Helix software from the Windows 10 "Control Panel --> Programs and Features" and then reboot the PC,  and do a  fresh download of HX Edit from Line6 which will include the latest driver. It sounds like you are getting either the wrong device driver or your device driver is getting corrupted in the download process somehow judging by the error message (but not necessarily). Reinstalling the correct version of HX Edit for your OS is the easiest way to guarantee you are getting the correct driver for your OS.

If the above does not work and given your familiarity with Windows and former employment with Microsoft these may all be things you have tried already but here goes. Get a fresh download of the correct driver. One approach you may have already tried is right clicking on the driver in Device Manager and attempting to update it from the list of local drivers already on your machine (rather than updating from online). A fresh install might be best though. Continue to uninstall the driver first before any attempts to reload it. Have you tried loading the driver with your anti-virus software turned off including Windows 10's Defender? You might also try unplugging anything else in the USB ports and disabling every unnecessary process running on the PC for the duration of the driver install. This may include going into the Task Manager and killing unnecessary processes.

Thanks for the suggestions, HonestOpinion .  Unfortunately, I've done almost all of them already to no avail.  Uninstall/reboot/install HX edit.  I've also downloaded the driver a number of times, with various browsers to avoid anything IE specific (like issues with signing).  I've had nothing plugged in to the USB port for this.  I'll try with defender turned off to no avail (though I would have expected a message or something if it intervened).

Not sure what set of processes would be "unnecessary" ;-)

I have opened a support ticket, though I would still very much appreciate any other suggestions....

Thanks for the suggestions, HonestOpinion .  Unfortunately, I've done almost all of them already to no avail.  Uninstall/reboot/install HX edit.  I've also downloaded the driver a number of times, with various browsers to avoid anything IE specific (like issues with signing).  I've had nothing plugged in to the USB port for this.  I'll try with defender turned off to no avail (though I would have expected a message or something if it intervened).

I have opened a support ticket, though I would still very much appreciate any other suggestions....

Here is a really good link on the (Code 39) error you are getting:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-code-39-errors-2623185

It could be you have a bad registry entry. A fairly extreme measure for a failed driver install but one of the things you can try is restoring to a recent restore point (if you have one) before you first updated the Line6 driver. I suppose you could do a registry backup using regedit and try to find the bad entry(s) and manually delete them but I wouldn't know where to start there. This all assumes a bad registry entry is even the issue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any updates on this one ?. I have exactly the same  with the HD POD 500x though I do run the very latest builds of Windows 10 (RS4). Had in consideration to replace the 500x with Helix but guess it's better to wait a bit. 

• 1 month later...

Which surface do you have?

I manage 60 surface 4 pro's and a mix of surface 3 Pro's and RT's

I have found many issues are fixed with current software for them.  not sure of your foray into this area so forgive me if this is stuff you have done already or know all about.

MS have mad my life so much easier with bundling drivers and firmware updates to various parts of the surfaces in a single file.  just run the .msi and all drivers are updated and firmware as well in one fell swoop.

do a winver and look at your win10 build.  Download just the appropriate file for your system.

latest supported Surface pro3 win 10 version is v1703 (10.0.15063)

latest supported Surface pro4 win 10 version is v1709 (10.0.16299)

Surface 3 Pro:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

Surface 4 Pro https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49498

it could be just a slight bug/hiccup in your system the driver borks at.

I advise to also download the latest cumulative update to windows as well. go to the following and click the "Last Updated" heading to sort by most recent and download .msi to bring windows fully up to date.

1709: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709

1303: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Cumulative+Update+for+Windows+10+Version+1703

BTW if your surface has applied the 1803 upgrade, good luck as I have had some issues with it!

Reason why I am not focusing on the driver is sometimes a bad OTHER driver stops a different one working right such as a vga card or audio.  before you start, maaybe uninstall helix driver and reinstall after updating everything.

once again, sorry if this is preaching to the choir

good luck!!

• 2 years later...
52 minutes ago, fl1ckmeister said:

Any updates on this? My helix worked just fine until recently, I am having the same issue.

Hi,

You post is a little vague, and this thread has been quietly snoozing for almost 3 years!

You say that your Helix “worked fine until just recently” - therefore, what changed?

What exactly is the issue you are having and on what platform - it’s really helpful to know this important stuff.

Hope this helps/makes sense. 

• 7 months later...

Just bought a Surface 7, downloaded and installed the latest Line6 SW,  and see the same error (code 39) in the device manager Line 6 Helix Properties . 

Hxedit is actually working fine.   But of course audio to the device is not. 

I've unistalled and rebooted  and re-installed several time..  :(

I've installed several win10 updated, so that it claims that there's no new updated (I did not install version 21H1, yet but I didn't have that on my previous computer).

The only other SW I installed so far was audacity.. 

9 hours ago, chzwizz said:

. … But of course audio to the device is not. ….

HX Edit (which I assume is the SW you are referencing) does not pass audio to the Helix device. It sends and receives command and control information only. The audio is produced by the Helix. If HX Edit seems to be working but you are not hearing audio make sure your speakers or headphones are connected to your Helix, not your computer.

• Like 1

Yes ,  I installed HX Edit and the USB drivers.  I have 3 other Win10 PCs around the house which all worked.  Ie HX Edit can control the helix AND Audacity is able to use the helix as the playback device over USB.   This 2nd function was not working on the surface pro 7

The following link provided a solution.

USB Driver install on 64 Bit Windows 10 Code 39 Driver Error - James Tyler Variax Guitars / Workbench HD - Line 6 Community

Now I can use the Helix for audio input and output as well as editing the patches with Hx Edit.

Line 6 should look into this.. It's likely an issue with the provided driver.  It would be good to leave that Core protection enabled..

But I'm super happy for a solution 

I do really , really like the helix for what I'm doing.. 

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/13/2023 at 11:57 AM, H3R3T1K said:

Has this been resolved? Error from today on fresh HX Edit install. "a driver couldn't be loaded on this device" (HX Stomp, Win 11 x64 up to date). "more information" leads to a how-to disable core isolation.

Hi,

Maybe you should read this:-

Hope this helps/makes sense.