Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

StageSource L2m vs Mission Engineering Gemini 1 for Helix LT

SteinweinerMkIV

I didn't know there was a difference in tone between 1/4 vs digital, etc...   I'll put it another way...I've read that there is more tweaking to the High/low cut-off with a "PA" style monitor/speaker (highs too crispy/harsh. a little boomy..)   From what I can tell MEG 1 is a frfr specifically designed for modelers (Highs already sound more natural, low-end not woofy) ..  Other than what I've seen/heard on youtube, both sound great, L2M a bit scooped, but nothing a bit of fine eq-ing...  This is my best take on it, just looking for a few outside opinions form experience...

I'll do the time honored thing of suggesting a third option not already mentioned! ;) Check out the Friedman ASC-12?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ASC-12

But in all seriousness, I have a pair of L2t and pair of L3m; use them with M20d as PA mostly, though have run Helix through both a bunch. Haven't tried the Mission rig yet. Lately been using my Helix with my Friedman tube amp but also to FRFR speakers; so going sort of hybrid wet/dry thing; but just at home for messing around and recording.

L6Link is useful, but doesn't support global EQ. Frees up the other outputs for wherever they need to go, and global eq can be set for the 1/4" and XLR out, so tecnically you could still use either XLR or 1/4" to the L2 if you needed the global eq.

When I run the Helix-Friedman recording rig I use the L6link out the L3m pair, the XLR out to a pair of Yamaha HS5, and I tweak the global eq a little for just those speakers; and the send/returns from the amp are all using the Helix send and returns instead of the main 1/4" outs.. (so the Master volume doesn't impact the amp volume, just the pairs of L3m and HS5)

Thanks Colonel!  Appreciate the in-depth and detailed feed back..  Your set-up is far more than I would ever need. The Freidman looks like their version of the Mission Engineering cab (I bet it sounds amazing!!)  I really think I'm gonna go the Mission route ($500) as there will be no additonal eq-ing needed to compensate for harsh high-end and mushy lows.. I'm technically challenged, to put it lightly...Just want to plug and go!  

• Upvote 1

Thanks Colonel!  Appreciate the in-depth and detailed feed back..  Your set-up is far more than I would ever need.  I really think I'm gonna go the Mission route ($500) as there will be no additonal eq-ing needed to compensate for harsh high-end and mushy lows.. I'm technically challenged, to put it lightly...Just want to plug and go!  

Sounds like a good option at that price! It's also more reasonable in weight.. And whatever that EmPower EQ is sounds useful to get it more 'cab' sounding

Yes....more like $600 and change. (is powered but doesn't have BT)  I was just going to snag it for the deal alone.. My Helix LT arrives today....So, I feel like Im getting ahead of myself, but Im thinking I need to jump on it.

Sweet, I am interested in buying one too. QSC K10.2 is good with the Helix by the Gemini 1 will be better.

don't know about the Gemini 1, but the Gemini 2 smokes @$$!!! Probably sounds just as good as the Gemini 2, but not quite as loud.

I still have a 1x12 Xitone MBritt convertible open/closed back I like almost as much but ditched the CLR and the Friedman awhile ago!

I don't have experience with both but based upon my experience with both the L2 and 3, they get my vote not only because of my satisfaction with their sound, but also their compactness, size, and weight.  And if you get the wheeled tote, you'll never be sorry.  Also if you ever think you might want a stereo outfit and can afford two, the Stagesource speakers are capable of being daisy chained via the L6 LINK connection.  I love it.  Also if one of the two speakers has the mixer option, you have a small but complete PA system AND an acoustic guitar amp.  I have two L3s and an L2 and 1 wheeled case of each size - and I've never looked back.  If you are going to spend the money, I would wait until I could afford the extra $100 and get one with the mixing/acoustic amp option.  

Thanks JLondon. I won't be needing any use of PA or acoustic amp... L2 does sound good on its own for the modeling alone..  I am on my 2nd day with the helix and LOVING it.. the more tweeking, the better t sounds.. Having trouble finding killer chorus  sounds...Downloaded freeman bigback and Choptones rock vol 2... through my studio monitors just killer and fun..so easy to program..

Glideman- I think you're right, although I have been LOVING playing through my M Audi Studio monitors in stereo (I did the Freman Bigpack ) No comparison to the factory presets, takes it to a whole new level..WOW!!! So now I just need to decide if stereo is the way to go...Usually the stereo thing doesn't come across live, so maybe a Gemini 1 now, and another down the road..

So i ended up going to GC and tried 3 powered cabs..Mackie Thump 12 (yuck-boomy), Alto ts212 (they had no 210 in stock) sounded pretty good-weird on the treble/high end when cranked, and then EVZLX12P...The EV was $399 and sounded like the Alto, but better .. more refined, less scooped, and a manageable low-end..Bought it thinking if it sounds this good at home, eventually buy another..  I get it home, and it just sounds harsh, and then boomy, and then boxy, no matter what I try to dial in.. I have it about 10-12' off the floor on a stand..I wonder if this is the struggle that everyone has with going from traditional guitar cab to frfr...  I understand that I'm hearing what a FOH would hear...But for my own monitor, it needs to feel a little more guitar/cabby...I may return the EV and get the Mission Engineering Gemini 1 (which I wish I could play through /listen first..) ..

Thanks JLondon. I won't be needing any use of PA or acoustic amp... L2 does sound good on its own for the modeling alone..  I am on my 2nd day with the helix and LOVING it.. the more tweeking, the better t sounds.. Having trouble finding killer chorus  sounds...Downloaded freeman bigback and Choptones rock vol 2... through my studio monitors just killer and fun..so easy to program..

My favorite chorus app is the Courtesan Flange (electric mistress).  You have to turn the rate way down and color down some.  Then take mix to 0 and work your way up until the result is to taste.  My favorite Electric Mistress clone to date (outside the Helix world) has been the Mooer Elec Lady - but it was too strong in the mix.  The Helix solves that problem for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Gemini 1 today...Just like anything FRFR and modeling, there is a bit of tweaking that has to be done, but I will say it is the best feeling and sounding powered cab I've tried yet. I tried the Alto210 & 212 (..just "ok"), EV, a few others...Could never vibe with any of the powered monitors (like I do with my studio monitors!)  The Gemini has that "bounce" and feel you get from a guitar cab.. There's a knob on the back that goes from" frfr" to "cab"...all the way to FRFR and then back 5-10% gets rid of any sterile harshness.. Pretty impressive.. I'd like to have another ..

• Upvote 1

Nelder17..I feel almost all alone in this thought, as I have had numerous Helix users (as well as Fractal and Kemper) praising this cab. (and other FRFR cabs)  I really have an open mind, and have had quite the learning curve experience since trying this modelling stuff.  I love the Helix through my studio monitors, not so much through the Mission cab as it just sounds harsh at the volume to play with a drummer..It has the best "feel" of the FRFR cabs I've tried, but it sounds boxy/midrangey.."small" ?   I think it could work as a personal monitor, but if you're used to a 4x12 100watt head and cab, this is COMPLETELY different.  i found this to be true for all of the AL210/212/EV/TYamaha/JBL powered cabs I've tried (Didn't try the Stagesource as I figured it would be similar) I think I'll just use the Helix for direct recording and studio jamming (so much fun and inspiring, and the helix is KILLER for this)and use my Boogie MKIV/Recto cab for the live and loud stuff. Keep in mind that i primarilly use a high gain tone set-up, minimal effects, and of course 1 or 2 cleans. I am not the type of player that NEEDS an arsenal of cabs /tones /amps for live, (but like I said, I love having all of those choices for when I want to tap into my SRV/Allman Bros/Hendrix/Robben Ford side....)     The fact is the HelixLT looks so cool and functions so well, I really want to use it live..I've been tweaking with it in my effects return of my Boogie (Turning off IR's and any cab sims). Having a little bit better luck than the FRFR cab , but still need time to really dial it in.     

Maybe it’s the larger box and dual coax speakers that’s doing it for me.

I know it sounds better than my very good sounding Xitone MBritt 1x12 coax open/closed back convertible .

I run the Xitone closed back mode mostly. Gemini 2 is always my favorite, and I love my Xitone.

CLR and Friedman have been gone awhile.

Returned the gemini cab to gc today. Could not for the life of me get it to sound good. Even had some other guitar players come over.. No luck. No bass response, midrangey and harsh. Sounded worse than acoustic amp. For me, helix is amazing direct recording. Live and loud, not my cup of tea. I will also say that my ax8 sounded great into the fx return of Boogie mk4... Helix not so much, but the ui is so awesome, and like i said, direct recording is kick butt. If you dont play in a cover gig, or need an arsenal of tones, frfr for live may not be for you. Thats just my experience and opinion.

I use my Helix with a pair of L2t (with L6link), and a pair of L3m, and sometimes a pair of Yamaha HS5; but that is all at home; recording, jamming whatever.

Primarily, I use my Helix with a tube amp in 4CM! Helix is really flexible; lets you do some crazy awesome stuff.

Regardless of the speaker or speakers; your best friend in the short term is definitely get to know the Helix Global EQ!!

And it doesn't work on the L6Link anwyay, so even if you were using L2 or L3 speakers, there is still incentive to connect them using XLR or 1/4".

Basically, cut the low and cut the high. Chop 'em! You really don't want to hear those frequencies; for the most part. Especially not if you are used to hearing an amp.

Like I said - at first; because as you work it, you will want to work the high and low cuts on the IR or cabs and per presets and save using the global EQ for balancing a room or other stage specific changes in tone that need an across the board tweak

You probably don't want to dial in presets with the global EQ on though..

But yeah; two speakers better than one for stereo! I tried that Firehawk 1500; totally cool box, but I ended up preferring the L2 for the size, ease of use, portability and such.

Plus I have the M20d mixer, so they pull duty as floor monitors; and they rock as couch tour speakers connected to my TV for Phish and Dead&co webcasts!!