Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

preset changes for LIVE use vs STUDIO

brain-donor

What kinds of changes would you make to your presets to use them in a live band setting as opposed to how you might set up the preset just to record a part into your DAW?

My first thoughts are turn down reverb mix, and maybe delay mix.   What about cab changes or amount of gain or anything else you normally do?

What kinds of changes would you make to your presets to use them in a live band setting as opposed to how you might set up the preset just to record a part into your DAW?

My first thoughts are turn down reverb mix, and maybe delay mix.   What about cab changes or amount of gain or anything else you normally do?

Like you said, turn off reverberation and delays (except if the delay is really a part of your sound, but keep it low). For the rest tweak EQ, pass filters etc.. in your DAW after, like you would do normally to get a track in the mix ;-) Also record the dry guitar signal too, as it can be useful to 'dry up' your sound or just to have extra to play with!

I can't say I really adjust much between the recorded preset and the live preset.  I go through this quite often as I put together demo versions of original songs the band will be playing in order to help them get a feel for their parts and practice the song to that demo track.  The preset I build for that guitar part is used when we take it live.  But that may be due to the fact I'm not really focusing on building a studio version of the song as that would come later when the band records it.  Not really sure if I'd adjust it then even.