Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4CM noise problem

user-2468794

Hi everyone.

I'm using the following setup: Guitar to helix, 4 cable method to Carvin Legacy VL300 amp, amp to Carvin Legacy 412 cab, and xlr outputs to mixer then stereo cabs.

I'm also feeding a stereo loop pedal via sends 3 and 4.

So:

Guitar -> Helix guitar in -> Helix Send 1 -> Amp In -> Amp Send -> Helix Return 1 -> Helix Send 2 -> Amp Return (i use the send 2 instead of the 1/4" out because this way the volume is not affected by the helix volume knob).

Also:

Helix Xlr Outs to mixer, and Sends 3 and 4 to Loop Pedal, then mixer.

You can see the scheme in the picture

post-2468794-0-05751800-1514668003_thumb.png

Problem is, when i plug the guitar straight to the amp, there's no noise, no hum, everything clear on all chanels. 

When i plug the guitar to helix straight to mixer, with amp simulations, no noise, no hum, everything clear.

When i use the 4CM, lots of noise. 

You can hear it in the video. first guitar straight to amp. then plug the guitar to helix guitar in, and the remaining 3 cables. And you'll hear the diference...

https://youtu.be/D6eNThp-BkM

Already tried:

-change all the cables, audio and power.

-plug the power to diferente places, then same place.

-change the outs from line to instrument, and vice-versa.

Nothing works. Any guesses??

Transformer Isolate one, or both of the loop cables. (not the guitar to Helix and not Helix to Amp input)

This is what ya need to do! I use one of these; many options exist:

(I run the two cables from amp fx loop send and return through this box to and from Helix send and returns)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Hum

This is what ya need to do! I use one of these; many options exist:

(I run the two cables from amp fx loop send and return through this box to and from Helix send and returns)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Hum

Good choice. I haven't used that one yet, but we have a few of these (below) and they work well, though i have to admit, I do not use 4 cable. I like my 8 1/2 minute set up of guitar and vocal. ;)

One thing I do like about the one below is its many I/O formats, and it converts between all of them.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DTI

The FX loops can be noisy when placed in front of certain amps (or even amp models).  Try to use the 1/4" output instead of the second set of Send/Returns.  See if the noise level changes at all.  You could also try to use the 1/4" outs into the front of the amp, and put the Helix's send/return in the amps fx loop.

• 2 years later...

My noise is coming from the USB to computer connection.  Want to use USB connection so I can use Helix Edit but 4CM into my amp is impossible if connected to computer.  Perfect otherwise.  So I'm thinking that the Ebtech won't do me any good.   I'm even able to create snapshots switching between a 4CM connection to amp AND L6 LINK to a Powercab plus with no noise.  But plug in USB to computer and it's all over.  Very frustrating!

11 hours ago, JLondon said:

My noise is coming from the USB to computer connection.  Want to use USB connection so I can use Helix Edit but 4CM into my amp is impossible if connected to computer.  Perfect otherwise.  So I'm thinking that the Ebtech won't do me any good.   I'm even able to create snapshots switching between a 4CM connection to amp AND L6 LINK to a Powercab plus with no noise.  But plug in USB to computer and it's all over.  Very frustrating!

Same here!  It is incredibly annoying.  Everything works great.  I'm using it in 4CM with my amp and there is no noise but as soon as I connect the USB cable to my computer it's buzz city!     I'm not really sure how to fix this.