Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cab block, why not at the end

zoldar

Just out of curiousity. In the factory presets (and a lot of youtube patches) Ithe cab block is mostly placed right after the amp block. And then after the cab block modulation effects are placed. What I expected is that the cab was to be placed after the modulation effects like in a real amp situation.

I know it's up to me to configure it the way I want, but I was wondering why the cab is not at the end of the chain?

I think having the cab at the end of the chain in a traditional live stage setup is more of a practical design limitation, not necessarily the best for achieving the tone you're after.  In the studio you can apply more exotic and proficient effects such as compressors, reverbs, delays, etc. at the end of the chain for a more natural effect.  That's why there's a difference in studio and live setups...or at least there used to be.  Not so much anymore in terms of large scale productions.  That's part of what is so excellent with the Helix.  I can bring studio quality setups into a live environment.

Traditionally, modulation pedals were before the amp -- they were pedals -- and studio modulation effects were after the cab, because they were applied to the mic'd and recorded amp/cab sound.

In the 80s, well-equipped guitarists started emulating that studio chain, using a preamp or an amp with a load box or mic, then applying reverb, modulation, and maybe other rack effects to that signal.

Helix and other modern modelers let you build processing chains in any of those styles, or pretty much any mixture you dream up. Try everything, and keep what you like, which doesn't have to be the same for different presets, even different snapshots.

No, because there are no separate power amp blocks. It's been requested.

That's one of the most attractive features they could add, IMO.

Also, since we're talking realistic (desired) live setups, I could use mono versions of the reverbs, specially for some of my dual chain patches, where I have one clean classic amp on one "channel", and some dirty amp on the other. I would very much like to be able to use different mono reverbs for each, because I usually prefer spring and plate reverbs for clean and room for most dirty stuff. 

For example:

-Twin > mono spring > 1x12 cab

-Epic > mono room > 4x12 cab

That's one of the most attractive features they could add, IMO.

Also, since we're talking realistic (desired) live setups, I could use mono versions of the reverbs, specially for some of my dual chain patches, where I have one clean classic amp on one "channel", and some dirty amp on the other. I would very much like to be able to use different mono reverbs for each, because I usually prefer spring and plate reverbs for clean and room for most dirty stuff. 

For example:

-Twin > mono spring > 1x12 cab

-Epic > mono room > 4x12 cab

I have heard that the new HD reverbs coming will have that option.

• Upvote 1