Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tuner in Version 2.3

jmansf3

Anyone else having problems with the tuner accuracy in version 2.3? I have been using my Helix for roughly a year and have absolutly loved the built in tuner but lately since the 2.3 update I find the tuner to be almost unusable. I even tried multiple guitars. 

John

• Upvote 1

While changing input to guitar did help me in the past, it doesn’t help with the variax and VDI connection. Maybe I’ll just try a reflash and see if that help

Reflash won't help...

Actually, I don't see why the tuner was great for you before, but now not on 2.3. 

I don’t see why either if there was no change to the tuner in the update but I’m definitly not imagining it either. That’s why I thought a reflash might help. Maybe something just didn’t go right with my update process. Out of ideas since others are not having the same issue and I really don’t want to go back to adding external gear. I want to gig with my guitar and helix and that’s all.

I don’t see why either if there was no change to the tuner in the update but I’m definitly not imagining it either. That’s why I thought a reflash might help. Maybe something just didn’t go right with my update process. Out of ideas since others are not having the same issue and I really don’t want to go back to adding external gear. I want to gig with my guitar and helix and that’s all.

So when you open the tuner on the Helix, the input setting on the left most knob is set to guitar?

I love these tuner threads...I wonder if any of the engineers at L6 had the slightest clue that the most discussed feature in Helix would end up being the friggin' tuner.

It's great for spectators though...kinda like a visit to the funny farm, just without the straight jacket and meds, and you can go home at the end of the day! Everybody wins!!!! 😂

FWIW, the tuner in my Helix is no better or worse than the built-in tuners in any other similar devices I've owned...will I be setting intonation with it? No. Is it as good as my old rack-mount Korg? Again no, but it's functional enough with the neck pickup and the tone rolled off. However, for those of you who have experienced soul-crushing disappointment at hands of Helix's onboard tuner, there is solution that will get the show back on the road...Snark offers $8 clip-on solutions in every color of the rainbow. Cheap, quiet, no tap dancing, and best of all...no waiting around (becoming progressively bitter the longer it takes) for firmware updates to "fix" it, which may or may not ever be forthcoming. 🤘

• Upvote 1

There's a reason for this. We all know how a tuner should work, and how good tuners do indeed work. When the Helix tuner has accuracy and stability issues compared to other tuners, we left wondering if there are other inaccuracies and stability issues that aren't as readily apparent. I'm not saying there's a correlation between tuner accuracy and usability and the other Helix blocks, but that's something we might feel, even if there is no correlation.

• Upvote 1

There's a reason for this. We all know how a tuner should work, and how good tuners do indeed work. When the Helix tuner has accuracy and stability issues compared to other tuners, we left wondering if there are other inaccuracies and stability issues that aren't as readily apparent. I'm not saying there's a correlation between tuner accuracy and usability and the other Helix blocks, but that's something we might feel, even if there is no correlation.

Totally agree with this and the fact that the tuner seems to work a bit better when set to "Guitar" instead of "Multi" is a little disconcerting. Why is this? Seems like it shouldn't make a difference. Makes you wonder if anything else is going on with the input block, even if there isn't. Perhaps more to the point, it appears that functions that require more total time to process and require a sort of "averaging" of, ideally, several data points, such as the tap tempo and tuner could be improved on the Helix.

My tuner is set to either Variax or Multi since I am using the VDI connection with my JTV 59. I’ve been using my Helix live now for a year and always had acceptable results with my tuner. All of the sudden it’s a nightmare. Obviously something happened. Either there is something wrong with my Helix or something in my update process went wrong. Since there was just an update I figured I would ask if any others were having issues. I am a regularly gigging musician with 27 years of tuning experience. To all with helpful responses, THANKS YOU!

FWIW, the tuner in my Helix is no better or worse than the built-in tuners in any other similar devices I've owned...

What have you owned?

Units I own or have owned with built in tuners that work FAR better than the Helix:

• Axe-Fx / AX8 / FX8
  • Kemper
  • Boss GT-100, GT-10
  • Eleven Rack
  • Most previous Line6 gear

<p>

What have you owned?

Units I own or have owned with built in tuners that work FAR better than the Helix:

• Axe-Fx / AX8 / FX8
  • Kemper
  • Boss GT-100, GT-10
  • Eleven Rack

My poor ole Fender Mustang Floor’s tuner is better than the Helix’s.

What have you owned?

• Axe-Fx / AX8 / FX8
  • Kemper
  • Boss GT-100, GT-10
  • Eleven Rack

totally agree on this .... the Helix built in tuner is a mess ... btw. dont understand why a tuner in the helix Edit is still missing

I've been having issues but I've put it down to playing an 8 string. For the regular 6 strings it tunes fine and is comparable in accuracy to my TC Polytune, but the B and F# are a pain in the arse. The tuner works sometimes but often won't register the note as being played at all or will delay such a long time before registering I get the feeling I'm tuning the note decay not the note itself.

I think because sound doesn't go to Helix edit, it is just a controller interface?

Audio is passed through the USB cable as evinced by the fact that the Helix can be used as an audio interface for your computer or with Helix Native. That should mean that a tuner is possible in HX Edit although it may require a more substantial coding effort than is immediately obvious. As you point out the editor is solely a controller interface right now. Maybe Helix Native will have a tuner before HX Edit gets one. There are already plenty of other computer standalone and plugin tuners available.for DAWs though so I suppose this may not satisfy the folks who would like to see one in HX Edit.

just a addon note... native and the new HX edit i believe are sharing code now... possibly even the point of updating from the previous Helix editor...

so i think you'd basically get a tuner in both if it happens at all....

Audio is passed through the USB cable as evinced by the fact that the Helix can be used as an audio interface for your computer or with Helix Native. That should mean that a tuner is possible in HX Edit although it may require a more substantial coding effort than is immediately obvious. As you point out the editor is solely a controller interface right now. Maybe Helix Native will have a tuner before HX Edit gets one. There are already plenty of other computer standalone and plugin tuners available.for DAWs though so I suppose this may not satisfy the folks who would like to see one in HX Edit.

• Upvote 1

just a addon note... native and the new HX edit i believe are sharing code now... possibly even the point of updating from the previous Helix editor...

so i think you'd basically get a tuner in both if it happens at all....

Good point! Just acknowledging RRMark's point that Native is already coded for handling audio signal while the Editor historically has only functioned as a controller. But you are correct, with those two code lines merging, a feature coming to Native that requires audio processing may end up in HX Edit as well. The capabilities of HX Edit may well be redefined by having a unified code base.

I’ve only used 2.30, since my new LT was pre-loaded with the latest firmware. It works OK, but does seem a little finicky compared to other Line 6 processors I’ve used (AMPLIFi and Firehawk). The other guitarist in my band uses a Helix Floor he has owned for over a year and just updated to 2.30. He complained the other day at rehearsal that the tuner seems different, and not in a good way!

Anyone else having problems with the tuner accuracy in version 2.3? I have been using my Helix for roughly a year and have absolutly loved the built in tuner but lately since the 2.3 update I find the tuner to be almost unusable. I even tried multiple guitars. 

John

I had problems the other night.  I would hit the note and tuner would go from 2 bottom bars to the left with no top bar and then swing to 3 bars to the left without me touching the guitar.  I was wondering if it might be related to the new firmware as I hadn't seen it act this bad since I have owned it.

Just the same as always.

Perhaps Line6 could just trap the "green" sector when within half a cent?

Must say I never found my guitar out of tune to the ear and I always use the Helix tuner

If they implemented a strobe tuner it would likely be more stable as well.  Maybe.