Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DAW and recording equipment for Helix

nbiglin

Just ordered my Helix, super excited about it. I saw that it can be used as a recording interface, so I'm contemplating a makeshift home studio.

What do you use for your DAW? I helped mix my band's demo 7 years ago on Pro Tools, but nothing since, so treat me like I know nothing.

Also, is there any other equipment that's really necessary to record at home with the Helix? I have some decent studio headphones, but not sure if I need anything else.

There is a program called Reaper that a lot of people use because it's cheap and it works. It has a 60 day trial and is only $60 if you're just using it for your own amusement. Even after the trial, it is still fully functional so you could cheat but $60? C'mon you can afford that. ;)

https://www.reaper.fm/index.php

Otherwise Logic seems to be mentioned the most here. Cubase as well. I personally have Sonar which I like but I don't recall a lot of people mentioning it on these forums.

I use Cubase. It comes in various versions from inexpensive to more expensive. I started with Cubase Elements AI, which is less expensive (and lacks some of the more professional features, but is still full serviceable). I'm currently on Cubase Artist 9. More expensive, but still reasonable. As an interface, Helix integrates very well with it. Helix has a great ASIO driver that works great with Cubase. Connect your headphones to the Helix for zero-latency monitoring (the I/O with the DAW is via USB). I have the LT, so I have a small Behringer mixer for microphone inputs. You'll want to get some decent mics. I use Audio-Technica AT 2050 large diaphragm condenser mics for recording vocals or percussion.

I'd recommend Reaper if you are on a budget.

I would point out that there are issues with Helix Native with both Studio One, and Logic. Read several threads on these very forums with users having significant CPU usage in those 2 DAWS.

If you want to pay premium. I would suggest one of the following.

FL Studio - if you want a non-linear approach to working on music, if you are very creative this may be the spot for you - its flexibility is unmatched.  Also you get FREE Lifetime updates - unlike the rest of the DAWs.

Cubase -  if you want a more linear approach to working on music, if you are use to the more traditional routes of recording. - Also there is  Nuendo if you are wanting to do any video editing, but that is one expensive program.

Studio One - If you have no intent of using Helix Native, this is also a good choice for a linear DAW. Hopefully the Native issue will be resolved soon.

Even if you're not on a tight budget I would recommend Reaper.

It's good, stable and pretty easy to use.

Needs a theme (skin) though, the standard skin is horrible IMHO.

I use a theme called Albert-C, it looks much better to me

I have tried all the others every  now and again but can't seem to like any of them except for Samplitude, which I also really like but is way more expensive than Reaper.

The free Pro Tools kept crashing so I couldn't really judge is except for it;s stability :wacko:

I guess it really depends on what you're used to and your preferred workflow

I have been a studio one user for years and I have no problems running native in studio one 3

Really? Maybe the kinks have been worked out, or perhaps I was mistaken.

There were several threads pointing out Logic for Native, but I also thought they mentioned Studio One as well. 

However, if it works in Studio One without issues then great! I must have been mistaken. 

EDIT: I remember now it was specifically the Helix Native automation not being sent correctly in Studio One, other users also reported it with other guitar amp sims. - It was Logic that had high CPU usage for Native. Do you do much automation with Helix Native? I know in FL Studio I have no trouble at all with Helix Native. (automation, or otherwise)

Perhaps the issue was users trying to use Helix Native with an older version of Studio One?!?

Check out Mixcraft 8. It's relatively inexpensive (the full pro version is currently on sale for $129), it's a windows based product, and really easy to use. There's also a fully functional free trial. I use my Helix floor unit and Helix Native with Mixcraft and they work great!

Haven't considered FL Studio until today. I was leaning towards Reaper, but FL Studio looks very compelling. Probably will download both of their programs to give them a demo and see which one seems more intuitive and logical to me.

Haven't considered FL Studio until today. I was leaning towards Reaper, but FL Studio looks very compelling. Probably will download both of their programs to give them a demo and see which one seems more intuitive and logical to me.

You must purchase the producers edition (or higher) of FL Studio to be able to do what you want. (such as record/handle audio)

Thanks for the Producer's version heads up. Yet to decide if FL Studio will be right for my needs. It seems to be very house/dance/techno/beat centric.

It can do all kinds of music. I do everything from symphonic, electronic, rock, metal, hip hop, pop, scoring...

It is a favorite among those that specialize in those genres you mention, but FLS can do all of it. You are only really limited by your creativity. On this aspect with genre focus, I think that applies to all DAWs.