Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV69 bridge noise

Happy New Year all. Need some assistance with my JTV69 - the bridge is making a popping sound when I depress the trem bar. This is a mechanical noise; not coming from the electronics. Any suggestions?

Thanks, F

New guitar, old guitar? And what sort of "popping" do you mean? Trem springs can make all sorts of noise. Crappy old ones will eventually start to creak like a rusty hinge. Might just need some new ones, a job which certainly won't require a round trip to an authorized "L6 Guitar Hospital"...it'll cost you about 6 bucks, and 17.3 seconds of your time. Replace 'em one at a time, and there should be plenty of tension to keep the bridge from slipping off the posts. The springs pop in and out very easily.

Some additional tension adjustments may be necessary, but nothing that a good set-up can't fix. This is easily accomplished by any competent guitar tech/ luthier, if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

"... nothing that a good set-up can't fix"--- maybe.

But if it's what I think it is, I'll have to deal with it.

You know perfectly well that I was referring to something specific...a simple bridge adjustment that is often necessary with new trem springs... which well within the wheelhouse of any competent tech. But you obviously suspect some "double secret" Variax-specific problem...so give the guy a hint, then. The cloak and dagger stuff doesn't help him, or anybody else who might have the same symptom.

"You know perfectly well that I was referring to a simple bridge adjustment that is often necessary with new springs"--- yes.

Good of you to point all that out. It's why I said "maybe". Usually a spring thing, there's some stuff that goes on in the Tremolo

cavity that is not in the tech manuals, and so I end up dealing with it. All and all, good call on your part.  :)