Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Locking Tuners for New Variax Standard

Greg099

I just bought a brand new Variax Standard. Will these Fender locking tuners fit the pre-drilled holes on the headstock?

https://smile.amazon.com/Fender-0990818100-Locking-Tuners-Chrome/dp/B000L6GD04/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

My Variax Standard has two small holes pre-drilled next to the main tuner hole. These tuners appear to have the same pins in the right location.

Thanks!

Greg

Line 6 G50 Wireless Guitar System (2)

Variax JTV-69 guitar

Variax Standard guitar

Aside from waiting around for someone who happens to have purchased the same tuners to respond, is to remove one of the stock ones and measure the diameter of the hole... then try and find the specs for these tuners somewhere, perhaps from Fender. The description from Amazon is useless unless it specifies the diameter of the hole required.

Or look for a better set of tuners...all the good aftermarket stuff, Schaller, Sperzel, Gotoh, etc. tell you the home diameter that's required.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your response.

The issue is not the hole diameter. The issue is that the Variax Standard has two pin holes next to the main hole for anchoring the machine head, and I’m trying to find out what locking tuners will fit this design. I’m not partial to Fender, they just were the only ones I could find online that even looked like the right pin hole design. Many of the ones you list use screws which will just add more holes to the headstock that I don’t need.

The Variax JTV-69 came with locking tuners, so I was a bit disappointed to find they weren’t on the Standard. It would be good if they could at least spec a locking tuner that will fit the Standard for those of us now spoiled by this feature.

The existing tuners have no identifying marks on them, so I can't even cross reference the manufacturer. I fear they are a cheap import model with some odd pin spacing that can’t be matched.

So Line6 folks or anyone out there got a locking tuner that will fit the pre-drilled holes on the Variax Standard?

The tuning machines on my Variax Standard were Ping. Other than missing the branding logo they looked just like tuners from my Fender guitars. I strongly suspect that the product that you linked to will be a drop in replacement for the stock tuners on your Variax.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Did anyone find and actually install a perfect drop in solution for upgrading a variax standard to locking tuners? I just returned a JTV 69s that came with major finish cracks and serious build issues. Apparently the music store tried to fix something and screwed it up royally then tried to sell it as “B stock”. I think I’d like to save some cash and buy a standard but I really like the convenience of locking tuners. 

On 11/11/2018 at 1:02 PM, getdusty said:

Did anyone find and actually install a perfect drop in solution for upgrading a variax standard to locking tuners? I just returned a JTV 69s that came with major finish cracks and serious build issues. Apparently the music store tried to fix something and screwed it up royally then tried to sell it as “B stock”. I think I’d like to save some cash and buy a standard but I really like the convenience of locking tuners. 

I'm not an exact  match to your inquiry but I’ve gone through many locking (Sperzel, Grover, Schaller) tuners over the years and the most recent ones to impress and upgrade my JTV59 3+3 arrangement - 

Hipshot w/ UMP (universal mounting kit).  No drill (no nubs) installation while being very smooth and stable locking tuners.  

https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/guitar-tuning-machines/products/guitar-tuner-upgrade-kits

• Like 1

I bought a set of AllParts locking tuners (Part No. TK-7591-010) for $35 online. They fit like a glove, swap out in minutes, and are working nicely. I used the original washers from the Variax because I like the bevel on them better than the ones provided. Sure, there are better locking tuners out there, but these are a nice match for my Standard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 12:02 PM, getdusty said:

I just installed a set of Graphtech Ratio locking tuners on my Variax Standard.   They drop in perfectly and they work great!  I took them off of a parts guitar because I kept breaking high E strings on my Variax.   

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I have a Variax Standard guitar, and I want to change the original tuners to Hipshot Grip Lock open locking tuners. Hipshot's staggered post sets are available in various configurations, which include: Short - 18mm, 19mm, 20mm Standard - 19mm, 20mm, 21mm Tall - 20mm, 21mm, 23mm.  The staggered height is measured for the base of the string post to the centre of the string hole.

I've already open a support ticket, but I've not get any answer yet. Please help me to pick up the perfect size. The other question is a post hole size. Are they 10mm or different? Thanks a lot!

- Take it to your local guitar shop/music instrument retailer and check it for fit there at the counter.

It saves you the trouble of multiple trips and hassle.

- Check that the tuning post diameter does not result in a side-ways breaking angle with the string nut slot.

- Check that the tuning post string hole is not too high. An elevation breaking angle of 12-15 degrees needs

to be maintained between the tuning post and string nut slot.

- Check that the screw hole mount and alignment nub line up.

- Some tuner have an order of line up of the tuners to correspond to the string diameter.

Dear Partev,

Thanks for the quick answer. Unfortunately here at the guitar shop there isn't anything in stock, so checking is not an option, only the online shopping.

"Check that the tuning post string hole is not too high. An elevation breaking angle of 12-15 degrees needs to be maintained between the tuning post and string nut slot." - that is the reason why I don't know, what is the perfect size and I hope there is somebody here who already buy a Hipshot Open Grip lock upgrade kit for the Variax standard, and tell me. :)

"Check that the screw hole mount and alignment nub line up".-  The patented UMP (Universal Mount Plate) included free in this kit means your tuners will retrofit without drilling or screwing. 

Hi all, here is the solution for the Variax Standard, without any kind of drilling or any other modification.

On the Hipshot website you can choose:

- Hipshot Guitar Tuner Upgrade kit for 6 inline headstocks.

- style:  Grip - Lock open 

- guitar style: bass side non - staggered 

Perfect drop in solution, the swap takes me only 30 minutes. I am happy :)

Hmmm .... I wonder how much difference there can be between the Hipshot ($88) and the Allparts ($35) tuners. The Allparts I'm using fit perfectly in the Standard, they don't slip, are easy to tune, geared nicely, and accurate. What's the diff?

I`m sure that the Allparts is a good stuff. I`ve read that U.S. Made Variaxes use Hipshot Open Grip Lock, and I want to buy branded tuners, that `s why I decided to go for Hipshot. Satisfied...Next step: swapping mag pickups...

:)

And I'm honored and happy to be Richie's wing-man.

Worked on one of his 69S guitars a couple weeks ago. Couple of connection glitches,

some fret work, a few odds and ends. Just in time for one of his Thursday night FB live events.

All sounded good. 

And remember to use the wiring diagrams in the Line 6 Knowledge Base.

Partev, what do you mean "connection glitches"? Is there any kind of cleaning method or any kind of maintenance we should do periodically? 

For example, is there any kind of trick to provide the best connection with the piezos? Sorry, if it is a stupid question... I am very grateful for all of your help!

• 5 weeks later...