Greg099

Locking Tuners for New Variax Standard

I just bought a brand new Variax Standard. Will these Fender locking tuners fit the pre-drilled holes on the headstock?

https://smile.amazon.com/Fender-0990818100-Locking-Tuners-Chrome/dp/B000L6GD04/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

My Variax Standard has two small holes pre-drilled next to the main tuner hole. These tuners appear to have the same pins in the right location.

Thanks!

Greg

Line 6 G50 Wireless Guitar System (2)

Variax JTV-69 guitar

Variax Standard guitar

Aside from waiting around for someone who happens to have purchased the same tuners to respond, is to remove one of the stock ones and measure the diameter of the hole... then try and find the specs for these tuners somewhere, perhaps from Fender. The description from Amazon is useless unless it specifies the diameter of the hole required.

Or look for a better set of tuners...all the good aftermarket stuff, Schaller, Sperzel, Gotoh, etc. tell you the home diameter that's required.

Thanks for your response.

The issue is not the hole diameter. The issue is that the Variax Standard has two pin holes next to the main hole for anchoring the machine head, and I’m trying to find out what locking tuners will fit this design. I’m not partial to Fender, they just were the only ones I could find online that even looked like the right pin hole design. Many of the ones you list use screws which will just add more holes to the headstock that I don’t need.

The Variax JTV-69 came with locking tuners, so I was a bit disappointed to find they weren’t on the Standard. It would be good if they could at least spec a locking tuner that will fit the Standard for those of us now spoiled by this feature.

The existing tuners have no identifying marks on them, so I can't even cross reference the manufacturer. I fear they are a cheap import model with some odd pin spacing that can’t be matched.

So Line6 folks or anyone out there got a locking tuner that will fit the pre-drilled holes on the Variax Standard?

The tuning machines on my Variax Standard were Ping. Other than missing the branding logo they looked just like tuners from my Fender guitars. I strongly suspect that the product that you linked to will be a drop in replacement for the stock tuners on your Variax.

Not sure if the two pin layout is the same, but Schaller locking tuners have two pins 'above' the hole. Worth finding a spec online with dimensions and checking

Did anyone find and actually install a perfect drop in solution for upgrading a variax standard to locking tuners? I just returned a JTV 69s that came with major finish cracks and serious build issues. Apparently the music store tried to fix something and screwed it up royally then tried to sell it as “B stock”. I think I’d like to save some cash and buy a standard but I really like the convenience of locking tuners. 

On 11/11/2018 at 1:02 PM, getdusty said:

Did anyone find and actually install a perfect drop in solution for upgrading a variax standard to locking tuners? I just returned a JTV 69s that came with major finish cracks and serious build issues. Apparently the music store tried to fix something and screwed it up royally then tried to sell it as “B stock”. I think I’d like to save some cash and buy a standard but I really like the convenience of locking tuners. 

I'm not an exact  match to your inquiry but I’ve gone through many locking (Sperzel, Grover, Schaller) tuners over the years and the most recent ones to impress and upgrade my JTV59 3+3 arrangement - 

Hipshot w/ UMP (universal mounting kit).  No drill (no nubs) installation while being very smooth and stable locking tuners.  

https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/guitar-tuning-machines/products/guitar-tuner-upgrade-kits

• Like 1

I bought a set of AllParts locking tuners (Part No. TK-7591-010) for $35 online. They fit like a glove, swap out in minutes, and are working nicely. I used the original washers from the Variax because I like the bevel on them better than the ones provided. Sure, there are better locking tuners out there, but these are a nice match for my Standard.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 12:02 PM, getdusty said:

I just installed a set of Graphtech Ratio locking tuners on my Variax Standard.   They drop in perfectly and they work great!  I took them off of a parts guitar because I kept breaking high E strings on my Variax.   

• Like 1