Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Use Helix Floor to change channels on a Marshall amp

VirtualGuitars

Hello & Happy New Year! 

Do you know if the footswitch requires a TRS cable?   

Some Marshalls (like the JVM) use a standard guitar cable, so MIDI would be the answer here.  

But if it's TRS like the DSL series, you're in luck! 

You can set the functions up in the Command Center to assign the button for channel switching - I had this set up on my DSL40C. 

Hello & Happy New Year! 

Some Marshalls (like the JVM) use a standard guitar cable, so MIDI would be the answer here.  

You can set the functions up in the Command Center to assign the button for channel switching - I had this set up on my DSL40C. 

Thank you for the reply.  I looked at the foot switch that came with the amp and it's definitely not a TRS connection.  I setup the Helix using Command Center and assigned a button for channel switching using a regular instrument cable and it worked beautifully.  Just to be safe, I tried on my older Marshall JTM 312 first.  It works great on both amps!

Glad to hear you had success with the Jubilee!  

I don't think you can use the midi function on the Helix with this connection on the TSL - I believe this socket is only for Marshall footswitches.  

Does the TSL have MIDI at all?

Glad to hear you had success with the Jubilee!  

I don't think you can use the midi function on the Helix with this connection on the TSL - I believe this socket is only for Marshall footswitches.  

Does the TSL have MIDI at all?

I'm the one with the Jubilee.  Not sure about daveyball's amp.  I can say that both of my Marshall amps (90s JTM 313) and Mini Jubilee worked with a TS cable even though the Marshall foot switch boxes were different model numbers, but looked exactly the same.  I don't know anything about daveyball's amp.

My Amp is a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 60 it doesn't have midi just the channel switching socket as the link attachment.

The foot switch supplied with the amp also can switch the effects loop in or our and the reverb off and on, hence the cable socket.

https://www.google.c...tuNenQJn5BIPCM:

I'd rather use the Helix to switch channel if poss just to reduce the need for the extra foot switch. I love the mid dirty tone of the amp.

Thanks

My Amp is a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 60 it doesn't have midi just the channel switching socket as the link attachment.

The foot switch supplied with the amp also can switch the effects loop in or our and the reverb off and on, hence the cable socket.

https://www.google.c...tuNenQJn5BIPCM:

I'd rather use the Helix to switch channel if poss just to reduce the need for the extra foot switch. I love the mid dirty tone of the amp.

Thanks

That looks like a proprietary Marshall connection.  The Ext Amp output on the Helix uses a TS or TRS cable to control channel switching, reverb, etc.  You have to use a TRS cable and configure the Helix appropriately to use it for dual functions.  It doesn't look like you will be able to do that with your amp.

• 11 months later...

I have made a cable that works with my TSL amp channel switching with the hx effects    I cannibalized one of my tsl foot switch cables and by reading the schematic on line found the wires for the clean, crunch and lead channels soldered them to the TRS connector and it works like a champ

• 6 months later...

Hi Virtualguitars. I have a Silver Jubilee as well but can't for the life of me get it to change channels with the Helix.

I've tried both TRS and TS. I go in the Command Center on the Helix and choose EXT amp and tried all of the Ring Tip 1, 2, Sleeve 1, 2 and both. But nothing happens.

I'm using the 4 cable method.

How did you get yours to work?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2018 at 2:24 PM, TRENDKILLCFH333 said:

Hello & Happy New Year! 

I know this is an older thread, but I had a question about the cable you used.  I have the DSL40C and just got the Helix LT.  When I ordered the Helix I also ordered a TRS cable thinking that's what I'd need, however, no matter how I configured the Ext Amp control it would not work.  I then tried a standard TS cable - which didn't work - and then I tried an Insert Cable (TRS on one end to two TS ends on the other (one Tip, one Ring) and that worked.  The signal needs to go from the Ring on the Helix to the Tip on the DSL - which you can't do with a straight TRS or TS cable.  

I'm either going to open the TRS cable and swap the Tip & Ring on one end, or I may go with MIDI into my VooDoo Lab Control Switcher so I can control both the amp channel and reverb.  I'm just wondering how you got the TRS cable to work?

• 2 months later...
On 7/9/2019 at 6:23 PM, kraftybob said:

I know this is an older thread, but I had a question about the cable you used.  I have the DSL40C and just got the Helix LT.  When I ordered the Helix I also ordered a TRS cable thinking that's what I'd need, however, no matter how I configured the Ext Amp control it would not work.  I then tried a standard TS cable - which didn't work - and then I tried an Insert Cable (TRS on one end to two TS ends on the other (one Tip, one Ring) and that worked.  The signal needs to go from the Ring on the Helix to the Tip on the DSL - which you can't do with a straight TRS or TS cable.  

I'm either going to open the TRS cable and swap the Tip & Ring on one end, or I may go with MIDI into my VooDoo Lab Control Switcher so I can control both the amp channel and reverb.  I'm just wondering how you got the TRS cable to work?

I just saw this reply.  From what I remember, I had no issues with the TRS cable.  

However, I have upgraded to a Marshall JVM 205c, so I'm using MIDI for all changes.  

Congrats on the JVM!

I've had no problems with changing the channel since I modified the cable, although I still don't understand why I had to do that.  However, I'm debating on going to MIDI so I can change my Reverb as well as Channel.  I have a VooDoo Lab Control Switcher that converts MIDI to a relay signal and used this successfully with my M13.  But that means going from the one cable I have now, to a MIDI cable, the Control Switcher, power support and TRS cable.  Plus the MIDI programming.  Seems like a like of effort when I have reverb on the Helix.  Maybe I'll save playing around with this for a rainy day :)