Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is Tap Tempo not working in 2.3?

hideout

I use tap tempo mainly for delay and I did notice that tap tempo is very hard to get right. I often get unpredictable results, sometimes very fast, sometimes really slow, sometimes no change at all or just plain wrong.

With older Line 6 products it worked much better. I hope it can be fixed in the next update because I find it quite annoying right now.

Works fine for me... Are you sure you didn't accidentally have the speed for the tremolo set to a millisecond value instead of a note value?

Phil_m,

it was set to note value since before I went to 2.11 and I hadn’t changed it or any of my presets when I went to 2.3.

It worked just fine in 2.11

Those who are having issues with tap tempo... which iteration of Helix? LT? Floor? Rack? Please share.

Very quirky tap tempo on my FLOOR unit.  I'll tap twice, no good, wait about 10 seconds, and try it again. It seems like tapping more than twice will make it not even close. Sometimes it takes me 3-4 times before I get close. I have to have a completely different preset with the tempo set exactly if I need the delays to be dead on or even within 1/2 bpm. It has been like that since day 1 on v2.01

Phil_m,

it was set to note value since before I went to 2.11 and I hadn’t changed it or any of my presets when I went to 2.3.

It worked just fine in 2.11

One very strange but constant issue I have with firmware updates is that occasionally that parameter spontaneously switches from b.p.m. back to ms. weird, but common.

I believe on earlier Line 6 devices that if you tapped three times, they would average the gap between the three taps and give you that tempo. I think on the Helix, it is always giving you the gap between the last two taps as the tempo. So if you're inconsistent with your tapping, it's more sensitive to that.

I believe on earlier Line 6 devices that if you tapped three times, they would average the gap between the three taps and give you that tempo. I think on the Helix, it is always giving you the gap between the last two taps as the tempo. So if you're inconsistent with your tapping, it's more sensitive to that.

Oh goody...a brand new way to suck at tapping!😉

It definitely works differently than ANY tap tempo device I have ever used. I tried to tap in a few songs this weekend and it almost seems like the timing triggers off of the trailing edge of the foot switch (transition from on to off) rather than the leading edge (from off to on). There's no real definitive way to tell that though. 

It's usable for me 90% of the time, the other 10% I just create a separate preset with a set tempo. 

I seem to remember the HD 500 manual joking that you can tap as many times as you want, but the unit picked up the last two. Not sure about previous units.

It definitely works differently than ANY tap tempo device I have ever used. I tried to tap in a few songs this weekend and it almost seems like the timing triggers off of the trailing edge of the foot switch (transition from on to off) rather than the leading edge (from off to on). There's no real definitive way to tell that though.

It's usable for me 90% of the time, the other 10% I just create a separate preset with a set tempo.

If this is true, why did Line6 feel like they had to reinvent the wheel here?

I tried to tap in a few songs this weekend and it almost seems like the timing triggers off of the trailing edge of the foot switch (transition from on to off) rather than the leading edge (from off to on). There's no real definitive way to tell that though.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. Will try this tonight.

I'm on Helix floor, by the way

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. Will try this tonight.

I'm on Helix floor, by the way

If that's true, IMO it's Not A Good Idea, seems way less intuitive to use, even if you know that's how it works, which is also not intuitive.

I am not saying that is how it actually is programmed to work deep in the Helix bowels, it just SEEMS that way to me. Try focusing releasing the switch with the tempo to see if you get better results. Not trying to start a new conspiracy theory, but this is a great opportunity to create a greater divide among Helix users than the old "tuner" subject. 

Then try your other foot to see if it is more accurate (<joke). 

In the past when I tried to set tempo, it was always via Reaper - so there was no human inefficiencies involved - and there were commonly occurring instances when the resulting value was off. Usually not a lot, but enough to bother those with a degree of ocd, or if timing is very important. Sometimes the result was something absurdly off. This was a while ago and probably with a firmware version that was pre-2.0.

As an alternative to using the tap-tempo switch, you could change the global variable 'Tempo Select' to per snapshot or per preset (if preset switching isn't an issue for you) and set the bpm accordingly that way.