Jump to content
hideout

Is Tap Tempo not working in 2.3?

Recommended Posts

Last night at the gig, I decided to change the mod rate of the tremolo by tapping in a new tempo. Nothing happened. I had tapped in drastically faster tempo too. Anyone else experiencing this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use tap tempo mainly for delay and I did notice that tap tempo is very hard to get right. I often get unpredictable results, sometimes very fast, sometimes really slow, sometimes no change at all or just plain wrong.

With older Line 6 products it worked much better. I hope it can be fixed in the next update because I find it quite annoying right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those who are having issues with tap tempo... which iteration of Helix? LT? Floor? Rack? Please share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Works fine for me... Are you sure you didn't accidentally have the speed for the tremolo set to a millisecond value instead of a note value?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those who are having issues with tap tempo... which iteration of Helix? LT? Floor? Rack? Please share.

Helix Floor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Works fine for me... Are you sure you didn't accidentally have the speed for the tremolo set to a millisecond value instead of a note value?

Phil_m,

it was set to note value since before I went to 2.11 and I hadn’t changed it or any of my presets when I went to 2.3.

 

It worked just fine in 2.11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those who are having issues with tap tempo... which iteration of Helix? LT? Floor? Rack? Please share.

Very quirky tap tempo on my FLOOR unit.  I'll tap twice, no good, wait about 10 seconds, and try it again. It seems like tapping more than twice will make it not even close. Sometimes it takes me 3-4 times before I get close. I have to have a completely different preset with the tempo set exactly if I need the delays to be dead on or even within 1/2 bpm. It has been like that since day 1 on v2.01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil_m,

it was set to note value since before I went to 2.11 and I hadn’t changed it or any of my presets when I went to 2.3.

 

It worked just fine in 2.11

 

One very strange but constant issue I have with firmware updates is that occasionally that parameter spontaneously switches from b.p.m. back to ms. weird, but common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe on earlier Line 6 devices that if you tapped three times, they would average the gap between the three taps and give you that tempo. I think on the Helix, it is always giving you the gap between the last two taps as the tempo. So if you're inconsistent with your tapping, it's more sensitive to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe on earlier Line 6 devices that if you tapped three times, they would average the gap between the three taps and give you that tempo. I think on the Helix, it is always giving you the gap between the last two taps as the tempo. So if you're inconsistent with your tapping, it's more sensitive to that.

Oh goody...a brand new way to suck at tapping!😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe on earlier Line 6 devices that if you tapped three times, they would average the gap between the three taps and give you that tempo. I think on the Helix, it is always giving you the gap between the last two taps as the tempo. So if you're inconsistent with your tapping, it's more sensitive to that.

It definitely works differently than ANY tap tempo device I have ever used. I tried to tap in a few songs this weekend and it almost seems like the timing triggers off of the trailing edge of the foot switch (transition from on to off) rather than the leading edge (from off to on). There's no real definitive way to tell that though. 

 

It's usable for me 90% of the time, the other 10% I just create a separate preset with a set tempo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe on earlier Line 6 devices that if you tapped three times, they would average the gap between the three taps and give you that tempo. I think on the Helix, it is always giving you the gap between the last two taps as the tempo. So if you're inconsistent with your tapping, it's more sensitive to that.

 

I seem to remember the HD 500 manual joking that you can tap as many times as you want, but the unit picked up the last two. Not sure about previous units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It definitely works differently than ANY tap tempo device I have ever used. I tried to tap in a few songs this weekend and it almost seems like the timing triggers off of the trailing edge of the foot switch (transition from on to off) rather than the leading edge (from off to on). There's no real definitive way to tell that though.

 

It's usable for me 90% of the time, the other 10% I just create a separate preset with a set tempo.

If this is true, why did Line6 feel like they had to reinvent the wheel here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this is true, why did Line6 feel like they had to reinvent the wheel here?

 

 

I think that's speculation. Helix's tap tempo works the same as every device I've ever had with it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to tap in a few songs this weekend and it almost seems like the timing triggers off of the trailing edge of the foot switch (transition from on to off) rather than the leading edge (from off to on). There's no real definitive way to tell that though.

 

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. Will try this tonight.

 

I'm on Helix floor, by the way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. Will try this tonight.

 

I'm on Helix floor, by the way

If that's true, IMO it's Not A Good Idea, seems way less intuitive to use, even if you know that's how it works, which is also not intuitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not saying that is how it actually is programmed to work deep in the Helix bowels, it just SEEMS that way to me. Try focusing releasing the switch with the tempo to see if you get better results. Not trying to start a new conspiracy theory, but this is a great opportunity to create a greater divide among Helix users than the old "tuner" subject. 

 

Then try your other foot to see if it is more accurate (<joke). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...but this is a great opportunity to create a greater divide among Helix users than the old "tuner" subject.

 

 

LMAO!😂

 

Everybody pick a side..."stomp" or "release". I'll be selling t-shirts at www.tempogate.com...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

btw, this is hard to test, as if you hold that button too long, it goes to tuner mode... how will you test?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the past when I tried to set tempo, it was always via Reaper - so there was no human inefficiencies involved - and there were commonly occurring instances when the resulting value was off. Usually not a lot, but enough to bother those with a degree of ocd, or if timing is very important. Sometimes the result was something absurdly off. This was a while ago and probably with a firmware version that was pre-2.0.

 

As an alternative to using the tap-tempo switch, you could change the global variable 'Tempo Select' to per snapshot or per preset (if preset switching isn't an issue for you) and set the bpm accordingly that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LMAO!😂

 

Everybody pick a side..."stomp" or "release". I'll be selling t-shirts at www.tempogate.com...

😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't find it to have changed with the recent update; it operates as weirdly as it did in previous firmwares. Three taps seems to be the magic number for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...