Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Here is why I want pedals with knobs....

StruckingFuggle

Bought a used H9 today.  Really wanted a Big Sky, but convinced myself that the H9 was the better deal.  Get the thing home, plugged in to Helix, fire up the Eventide control app, and it tells me that it can't connect to Eventide's server.  Try again later.  WTF.  So all day, Eventide's registration server is apparently down, which means I can't activate my pedal or use the control app.  So while I'm marginally enjoying the default presets, I'm seriously having buyers remorse wishing I got the Big Sky.  It has knobs, and doesn't require Strymon's permission over the internet to allow me to twiddle something.  

Line 6, take notice.  Don't put this kind of licensing schema into your products. But if you do, make the availability of your licensing server known somewhere so that people aren't sitting around with hot christmas presents for days pissed off that they can't use them because "Chad, the IT guy,  went to see his mom in Boca Raton and forgot to turn on the UPS before he left".  

Ok, rant over.

The H9 presets are really good.  I see why people love this pedal.  I still like Strymon's verbs better.  So once I've emotionally calmed down enough to make a rational decision, I'm going to trade this H9 max for a Blue Sky.  I was seriously hoping that the shimmer and ghost were comparable with Strymon, but they are just "different", and not what I want.  

Sounds great in Helix loops 3/4.  Ideally I wanted an external pedal to handle the verb and free up DSP for IRs/amps/delays.  I don't like the current set of Helix verbs.  Rumors abound, I know.   Was hoping the H9 Max could fill in a bit where the Helix effects left off.  

Sounds great out of the box, but without being able to deep edit, I'm stuck until Eventide's server farm manager dries out, stops puking, and remembers where he put his lab access card and goes to reboot the registration  server.

Well, I can attest to the fact the BigSky will work very well with the Helix... In one of the loops and with MIDI control, it's almost like it becomes part of the Helix. But with the new reverbs, I'm not sure it's necessary. I'm most likely going to be putting mine up for sale very soon. I guess it depends on what machines you'd use on the BigSky, because it still does some unique things, but if you don't use those, it will be somewhat redundant with the new verbs coming. The new reverbs are relatively DSP-intensive, though, so if you have a lot of complex presets, having the ability to offload some DSP load is probably a good reason to keep the BigSky.

Well, I can attest to the fact the BigSky will work very well with the Helix... In one of the loops and with MIDI control, it's almost like it becomes part of the Helix. But with the new reverbs, I'm not sure it's necessary. I'm most likely going to be putting mine up for sale very soon. I guess it depends on what machines you'd use on the BigSky, because it still does some unique things, but if you don't use those, it will be somewhat redundant with the new verbs coming. The new reverbs are relatively DSP-intensive, though, so if you have a lot of complex presets, having the ability to offload some DSP load is probably a good reason to keep the BigSky

I thought I responded, but it didn't show up.   

Let me know if you decide to sell the Big Sky.  The H9 sounds awesome, but I think the Strymon just fits better with the sound I need.  

Edited by StruckingFuggle

Where is it? Can you, please, point me to your source?

Thanks

Well, there's no official announcement in the way of a press release or anything like that, but Digital Igloo and Frank Ritchotte have mentioned it on TGP, Facebook and here (I think). But, yes, they're coming...

The guy in charge said it's coming directly, so we know it is. We don't know what is in the update for certain except for 5 brand new built-from the ground up HX reverbs in both stereo and mono.

We know it's coming.

It's coming.

Rejoice and be glad.

Some of the guys on this forum are beta testers for Line 6, so they get to play with the cool updates before the rest of us peasants. 

yeah, I can't say anything, but sometimes that information is in the user's signature...  :ph34r:

Some of the guys on this forum are beta testers for Line 6, so they get to play with the cool updates before the rest of us peasants. 

I know, I know... I mean, it's a known fact. I just wanted to know where was it posted, because I didn't see it here, on this forum.

Well, I can attest to the fact the BigSky will work very well with the Helix... In one of the loops and with MIDI control, it's almost like it becomes part of the Helix. But with the new reverbs, I'm not sure it's necessary. I'm most likely going to be putting mine up for sale very soon. I guess it depends on what machines you'd use on the BigSky, because it still does some unique things, but if you don't use those, it will be somewhat redundant with the new verbs coming. The new reverbs are relatively DSP-intensive, though, so if you have a lot of complex presets, having the ability to offload some DSP load is probably a good reason to keep the BigSky.

The guy in charge said it's coming directly, so we know it is. We don't know what is in the update for certain except for 5 brand new built-from the ground up HX reverbs in both stereo and mono.

We know it's coming.

It's coming.

Rejoice and be glad.

Freakin' psyched that that HX reverbs are coming and particularly that they have mono versions. The mono version option becomes even more important if as phil_m indicated the new reverbs are DSP intensive. It has been mentioned here before that mono effects may use half as much DSP. The HX reverbs have been at the top of my wishlist for quite a while. Fantastic that it is slated hopefully for the next update!

Freakin' psyched that that HX reverbs are coming and particularly that they have mono versions. The mono version option becomes even more important if as phil_m indicated the new reverbs are DSP intensive. It has been mentioned here before that mono effects may use half as much DSP. The HX reverbs have been at the top of my wishlist for quite a while. Fantastic that it is slated hopefully for the next update!

Yup yup!