Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Helix user looking for ideas

Sir_Realism

Hello! Just bought a Helix and was hoping to get some ideas on how to run it. I’m mostly a bedroom player and would like some ideas on how everyone is running there’s. I’m trying to decide on weather or not to go power amp into guitar cab or just go frfr speaker. I’m new to the whole modeling world and don’t know much about frfr speakers. Any help would be appreciated. Just looking to get some feedback and ideas.

If you are just a bedroom rocker, these are some speakers I use.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iLoudMicro?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgt6HseK52AIVlbXACh2mYALzEAAYASAAEgKgCvD_BwE

They aren't cheap but are relatively cheap compared to the "normal" self powered speaker. You can mount them on mic stands. They are surprisingly loud for their size and they are bluetooth ready so if you're not playing guitar you can play your phone (or whatever) wirelessly. It does use a 4 pin connector between speakers which limits how far you can separate the speakers but you can buy a longer one that has allowed me to separate them as far as I need. It is also very portable. They are basically the size of your average computer speaker.

FRFR speakers are just powered PA speakers (but there are other more expensive varieties catering to the FRFR cork sniffers). I use two JBL EON 610s at home. If you are looking for more low end, then you can use the EON 612s. You don't need two speakers, but stereo is pretty cool especially when just playing around at home. Stereo live can be kind of tricky sometimes. 

Hmm.. Interesting and thanks for the recommendation. I would have never thought to look at something like that. I should have said i mainly play 7 string guitars and like heavy sounds. Would these be able to handle the low end. 

Their bass response is very surprising. I can't say for sure if they would work for you but I think they would. You could just order through Sweetwater or Guitar Center who have 30 day return policies.

FRFR speakers are just powered PA speakers (but there are other more expensive varieties catering to the FRFR cork sniffers). I use two JBL EON 610s at home. If you are looking for more low end, then you can use the EON 612s. You don't need two speakers, but stereo is pretty cool especially when just playing around at home. Stereo live can be kind of tricky sometimes.

So I take it you like the JBL’s? I don’t need lots of low end just want the speaker to withstand lower tunings. I’ve been trying to research frfr speakers and it’s mind boggling. The prices vary a decent amount and I don’t want to lose something because I went with a cheap speaker. I’ve read good things about the Yamaha dxr8s.

Their bass response is very surprising. I can't say for sure if they would work for you but I think they would. You could just order through Sweetwater or Guitar Center who have 30 day return policies.

They do seem to get good reviews. It seemed like it be a cool travel option as well. Like I said above I don’t need a ton of low end but just want to make sure the speaker doesn’t fart out with lower tunings.

Choice of speakers aside, stick with monitor/frfr and give it two months. you will go through an amaze phase, then regret and wondering if it was right, then you will find bliss.. its a great forum, and a great machine. few tips, turn hum and ripple all the way off for starters, then add sag for more blusey stuff or leads, less for heavier sounds. read about cab cuts and adjust those, esp with lower tunings. have fun and good luck!

The Yamaha HS series should serve you well.  I have a pair of HS7s that I've used for years as well as Yamaha DXR12's that I use live, so I'm a big fan of Yamaha speakers.

One thing to be aware of with the HS5's is that they are rear ported, which means you should pay close attention to the documentation regarding positioning of the speakers in order to get accurate bass response.  I have mine set up in my recording studio positioned about 3 1/2 feet away from me at a 45 degree angle to my left and right at roughly ear height.  This creates an upside down triangle with me at the bottom.  The speakers are positioned roughly 2 feet from the wall behind them.

So I take it you like the JBL’s? I don’t need lots of low end just want the speaker to withstand lower tunings. I’ve been trying to research frfr speakers and it’s mind boggling. The prices vary a decent amount and I don’t want to lose something because I went with a cheap speaker. I’ve read good things about the Yamaha dxr8s.

Yes, love the JBLs. Yamaha is a great option as well. At the time, I found a deal on Amazon for the Eon 610: speaker, stand, and 25' cable for $325, so I bought two. 

GC's still showing the JBL LSR305 at $99ea.

Yamaha just started a Rebate on their Pro Audio gear, including the HS speakers, some of their smaller Mixers, the DBR spkrs, and a few other items. Check Yamaha's website for details.