Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix into a Marshall DSL40C

JimmyDee123

I have a Marshall DSL40C, that I use as my home practice amp.  

I pulled it apart and put in a new Celestion Creamback speaker, a larger choke, and new Tung-Sol power tubes.

The thing is a small(ish) beast.  Way more clean power than I need in my basement, but it sounds amazing.

Then, I got my Helix a couple months ago...

I originally had it plugged into the front of the amp... sounded like crap.  So, I went out and bought an EV ZLX-12P.

I'll admit, the EV monitor sounds really good with the Helix... but it doesn't have that brute power that I missed with the tube amp.

This morning, I decided to try plugging the Helix into the Return line of the Marshall amp.

This effectively cuts-out the Marshall's preamp, and just goes straight into the tube power amp section.

HO - LY - CRAP!   It sounds friggen amazing!

I'll admit, it's not FRFR.  I won't be running vocals through it. 

But for guitar, it sounds incredible.  Much better than the E-V powered monitor (in my opinion)

For anyone who has a guitar amp, with send/return on the back, I'd recommend giving this a try.

I know this isn't a new idea... but I just wanted to relay my experience and feedback.

I have been doing this and love it.

I am using a Fender Supersonic, but have also used a JCM800 2210. On both of these amps, my master volume is in front of the effects loop and my only volume control is off the helix.

Can you control your power section master volume with the DSL40?

Just for clarification, FRFR isn't about just running vocals. It's about what everyday normal people hear when they listen to the guitar through a normal speaker system in their car or a home stereo system or even a PA in concert.  Some musicians prefer the big amp in the room sound and the Helix can easily accomplish that by doing as you're doing and routing into the return of an amp.  But that's really more of a unique stage sound than a studio sound which is what people normally hear in everyday music.  That doesn't make it better or worse, just different.  And if that's what you like that's what you should do.  I just wanted to clarify things a bit given your comment about vocals.

• Downvote 1

Just for clarification, FRFR isn't about just running vocals... I just wanted to clarify things a bit given your comment about vocals.

I guess my point was; the guitar/Helix sounds great through the Marshall... but that's all. 

I wouldn't go running vocals (or anything else) through it.

I realize that even using the power tube section of the Marshall adds some degree of coloring, but I like the end result.

It's just personal taste.  I've found a sound that I really like.  Wanted to share my experience.

Same here...I also use a DSL40C with a Celestion Creamback and KT77’s. Use 4CM with my Helix - works great! Still thinking at some point about getting a Friedman ASM 12 or Gemini 2. Only reason would be I really can’t use any cab modeling or IR’s with an actual amp...feel like I’m kind of limiting with it can do...

Same here...I also use a DSL40C with a Celestion Creamback and KT77’s. Use 4CM with my Helix - works great! Still thinking at some point about getting a Friedman ASM 12 or Gemini 2. Only reason would be I really can’t use any cab modeling or IR’s with an actual amp...feel like I’m kind of limiting with it can do...

My Helix LT is currently being sent in the mail. I also plan on running it into my DSL40c via the effects return. I've always been open to putting KT77's in my DSL, and was wondering if you had to do anything special to run them? What did you set their bias at?

• 6 months later...
On 1/2/2018 at 6:57 PM, JimmyDee123 said:

I have a Marshall DSL40C, that I use as my home practice amp.  

I pulled it apart and put in a new Celestion Creamback speaker, a larger choke, and new Tung-Sol power tubes.

The thing is a small(ish) beast.  Way more clean power than I need in my basement, but it sounds amazing.

Then, I got my Helix a couple months ago...

I originally had it plugged into the front of the amp... sounded like crap.  So, I went out and bought an EV ZLX-12P.

I'll admit, the EV monitor sounds really good with the Helix... but it doesn't have that brute power that I missed with the tube amp.

This morning, I decided to try plugging the Helix into the Return line of the Marshall amp.

This effectively cuts-out the Marshall's preamp, and just goes straight into the tube power amp section.

HO - LY - CRAP!   It sounds friggen amazing!

I'll admit, it's not FRFR.  I won't be running vocals through it. 

But for guitar, it sounds incredible.  Much better than the E-V powered monitor (in my opinion)

For anyone who has a guitar amp, with send/return on the back, I'd recommend giving this a try.

I know this isn't a new idea... but I just wanted to relay my experience and feedback.

Hey! I just picked up the Helix and I have a Marshall dsl40c as well. I want to set it up like how you explained (through the send/return) but I can’t figure it out. Could you help me out with where to plug everything in?

2 hours ago, Cghoward said:

Hey! I just picked up the Helix and I have a Marshall dsl40c as well. I want to set it up like how you explained (through the send/return) but I can’t figure it out. Could you help me out with where to plug everything in?

There are many variatons, but in this case:

guitar > helix > helix 1/4 out into DSL effect loop return.  

I have a Marshall dsl40c with creambacks as well (replaced the 70/80s), but I just bought one of those Headrush FRFRs. The headrush sounds very good, I'm not at all disappointed, but I'm thinking of trying the loop return on the Marshall just to hear what it sounds like. So, the idea is to bypass any Helix cabs or IRs, correct? I suppose I could copy a few of my go-to presets and remove the cabs on the copies in order to run the test.  I wonder if any of you have tried both real amp loop return AND an FRFR powered speaker and have feedback on the results?

Good Two questions 1 To connect the helix to the return of the applicator, you deactivate the speaker simulators? 2 Anyone could operate the channel change with this amplifier from the helix? regards

• 3 years later...

I Currently have the Helix floor, Just bought the Marshall dsl40c! So excited and can't wait for it to come in. Have a couple questions, when I go to run my helix through the back will I have to run the Helix through send and return or just one of them? Also which blocks in the helix should I turn off, Cab and Amp? New to this, any advice is appreciated!

@OP yeah it's a good method.  I've been doing that workflow since the POD XT.  It's always worked well for me too.

I run my helix straight into the fx return of my marshall jcm2000 and into my orange ppc2x12 cab.  It sounds great

If i want to use the actual marshal channels I'll run 4cable method, but eh... going straight into the fx loop is simpler and it sounds great so I do that 90% of the time.

On 8/1/2021 at 5:05 PM, agpnodoubt said:

... which blocks in the helix should I turn off, Cab and Amp? New to this, any advice is appreciated!

If you plug your Helix into the RETURN on the amp.... disable the CAB but leave the amp models. The Big Volume on the Helix will become your volume control for the amp unless the MASTER on the Marshall still works from just the return. 

If you plug your Helix into the FRONT of the amp... disable both the amp models and cab models within the Helix. The Marshall then becomes the full amp and the Helix become a glorified pedal board (effects only) rather than an amp modeler. Nothing is wasted by using this method... nobody says you have to use every feature in every situation. 

12 hours ago, codamedia said:

If you plug your Helix into the RETURN on the amp.... disable the CAB but leave the amp models. The Big Volume on the Helix will become your volume control for the amp unless the MASTER on the Marshall still works from just the return. 

The master on my Amp still works from the return, in this case should I turn the master up all the way then use the volume dial on the helix? 

11 hours ago, agpnodoubt said:

The master on my Amp still works from the return, in this case should I turn the master up all the way then use the volume dial on the helix? 

FWIW, I would likely run a combination of both. I don't think there is a wrong way, just find something you are comfortable with.