Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.31 Release Date

jbuhajla

I've never started one of these threads before. Kind of makes me feel a little dirty. 

So...

1. Any clues would be greatly appreciated. 

2. Any guesses will be debated heavily. 

3. Any conspiracy theories will be repeated endlessly. 

Anbody know what the weather's gonna be the third Tuesday in March, 2063? I'm busy, and I like to plan ahead...

Conspiracy theory:

Depends if global warming, climate change, or global cooling is en vogue at the time. 

Well, I'll be clocking in at 88 if I make it that long. One never knows...perhaps they'll actually have the tuner sorted out by then.

They'll probably have worked out the tap tempo tuner by that time, to make it twice as good. 

Well, DI has stated in this forum that next firmware version will be 2.50 and will be presented in the Winter NAMM 2018 show held from the 25th-28th January. Therefore, it`s not very far away. According to him this will be the "controversial firmware" update and will include the new HX reverbs... I don`t quite get what will be so controversial about it, I guess there won`t be any new amps and a couple low profile effects... But what do I know? Let the man speak for himself...

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know when the 105.785565532787 update will be coming? This will have the controversial talent button with the germanium/silicon option. Rumor has it, it will contain both style and speed selections. Even narrowing down the style to specific players. Currently each player will cost $1 to $50. Madonna will be $1...Steve Morse, $50 (Steve will require the speed upgrade). Just to give you an idea of the price range. I can't wait!!! Unfortunately still no tuner upgrade.....Damn!!!!!

;) :D

Well, DI has stated in this forum that next firmware version will be 2.50 and will be presented in the Winter NAMM 2018 show held from the 25th-28th January. 

I thought I read somewhere that the next firmware will be v3.0 (rather than 2.5) , which means major changes.

Really?!?!?!?! Speculation on the actual content of upcoming firmware is enough of a time waster, given that only a select few have any idea what's actually in it...but now we're going to debate the relative merits of it's numerical designation? 😂 Who the hell cares what number they hang on it?

Hmm.   Controversy.   :rolleyes:

My guess would be this new feature: discrete power amps - i.e., being able to mix and match preamps and power amps.  I imagine that would stir up a LOT of disagreement between audio-techies and digital techies alike.  On the "feature side" - it would take the realm of tones in the HX up by a power of two... which is a LOT. 

Just my .02 spacebucks. 

I wonder if the new update can sound like message in a bottle finally? ;) I just finally did 2.3 a few weeks ago, and am enjoying it very much, so whenever is fine by me. still want a phase Im not hearing, verbs will be great, though I dont have much problem with these. love some kind of quirky petal, better key or synth or weird delay.. its all good whenevr whatever

• Upvote 1

Hmm. Controversy. :rolleyes:

My guess would be this new feature: discrete power amps - i.e., being able to mix and match preamps and power amps. I imagine that would stir up a LOT of disagreement between audio-techies and digital techies alike. On the "feature side" - it would take the realm of tones in the HX up by a power of two... which is a LOT.

Just my .02 spacebucks.

I'm sure others will disagree, but I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole. Mine is a purely practical objection (if you can even call it that),as opposed to being "audio techie" or "digital techie" based. There comes a point when having endless otions becomes a hindrance, and you reach a point of diminishing returns. Can one's tone get "better" infinitely? I already spend too much time tweaking, without trying to create weird hybrid amp models. At some point, you hafta just play...

• Upvote 1

I'm sure others will disagree, but I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole. Mine is a purely practical objection (if you can even call it that),as opposed to being "audio techie" or "digital techie" based. There comes a point when having endless otions becomes a hindrance, and you reach a point of diminishing returns. Can one's tone get "better" infinitely? I already spend too much time tweaking, without trying to create weird hybrid amp models. At some point, you hafta just play...

You can always do what I did - stay on the current firmware version or, upgrade but continue to use the Helix as you always have. Just because there are new features that doesn’t mean you’re obligated to use them. I upgraded to 2.30 but the only thing I felt I had to change is to use the SP Comp more.

I don’t think we should ever stop getting new features and abilities in future versions of the Helix. Why not? Why should people not be allowed to experiment and not be given the tools to do so? That should always be encouraged in my book. It’s up to us to pick and choose what we use.

• Upvote 1

I seriously hope that the next update doesn't add yet another Marshall, the Helix could use some other amps before another Marshall.

There are no new amps in 2.5, though. New HX verbs is all they've announced, and those who have heard them like them very very much.

You can always do what I did - stay on the current firmware version or, upgrade but continue to use the Helix as you always have. Just because there are new features that doesn’t mean you’re obligated to use them. I upgraded to 2.30 but the only thing I felt I had to change is to use the SP Comp more.

I don’t think we should ever stop getting new features and abilities in future versions of the Helix. Why not? Why should people not be allowed to experiment? That should always be encouraged in my book. It’s up to us to pick and choose what we use.

Well that's exactly what I said...you couldn't pay me to start mixing and matching pre-amps and power amps, so I'd happily ignore such a feature, should it become available. But I'm not saying that no one else should...to each their own. But for me, it's overkill writ large, that's all.

There are no new amps in 2.5, though. New HX verbs is all they've announced, and those who have heard them like them very very much.

Fine by me. At this point I welcome those more than new amps. Gives me extra high quality reverbs I can use on other sources with Native while I mix.

I was just basically saying that when we do get more amp models... More Marshalls are the last thing the Helix needs.

Fine by me. At this point I welcome those more than new amps. Gives me extra high quality reverbs I can use on other sources with Native while I mix.

I was just basically saying that when we do get more amp models... More Marshalls are the last thing the Helix needs.

While I agree that the Helix has lots of Marshalls to choose from, the JVM is a fantastic amp that often gets overlooked in the modeling world.  

Another option would be a Friedman (Dirty Shirley, BE-100 or Butterslax) - that would be cool!  

While I agree that the Helix has lots of Marshalls to choose from, the JVM is a fantastic amp that often gets overlooked in the modeling world.

Another option would be a Friedman (Dirty Shirley, BE-100 or Butterslax) - that would be cool!

Oh I am not knocking it. I wouldn't mind seeing it added, but only after some different amps.

Friedman, XTC, a couple more Engls would be stellar. Hell I would like to see some Diamond Amps modeled. I don't think I have seen them in any modelers. I was stoked about the Helix getting unique voiced amps like the Cartographer, that you won't find easily in other modelers.

The primary interest I would have in separate preamp and power amp blocks is that is where time based effects like delays, reverb, and certain modulation effects have traditionally often been inserted in conventional analog guitar amp FX loops. I suppose this could be accomplished by allowing some kind of routing insert on the Helix without actually splitting preamp and power amps into separate blocks but if they did decide to split it out it would also satisfy those who would like to mix and match. Don't know how often I would make use of the mixing and matching but I can definitely see the virtue of being able to insert effects between the preamp and power amp assuming it makes an appreciable and sometimes preferable difference in the tone in the digital realm. I would definitely opt for a routing/insert option over splitting out the blocks if this effort was to monopolize a substantial amount of DSP, memory, or development resources. If major compromises are not required however it seems like a perfectly grand option to have.

The primary interest I would have in separate preamp and power amp blocks is that is where time based effects like delays, reverb, and certain modulation effects have traditionally often been inserted in conventional analog guitar amp FX loops. I suppose this could be accomplished by allowing some kind of routing insert on the Helix without actually splitting preamp and power amps into separate blocks but if they did decide to split it out it would also satisfy those who would like to mix and match. Don't know how often I would make use of the mixing and matching but I can definitely see the virtue of being able to insert effects between the preamp and power amp assuming it makes an appreciable and sometimes preferable difference in the tone in the digital realm. I would definitely opt for a routing/insert option over splitting out the blocks if this effort was to monopolize a substantial amount of DSP, memory, or development resources. If major compromises are not required however it seems like a perfectly grand option to have.

I have a Yamaha THR-100HD Which does allow you to mix and match preamps and power amps. It’s way fun!

So maybe the controversy could stem from Line 6 focusing on one set of FX blocks at a time; in this case 'verbs.  That would be controversial especially combined with my poor grammar.  ... Refer to no more Mondays

Bummer. I thought there was an amp model missing which couldn´t make it in Firmware 2.30 that could be included in 2.50. I was personally kinda let down with 2.30 and was expecting this amp in the making could be a nice surprise. Anyways, I`m looking forward to hearing from the new reverbs and how they could improve the resonance of the existing high gain amps. Are there any new modulation effects included in 2.50, maybe those long desired Dual Phasers or that 4 Switch Chorus?