Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.31 Release Date

jbuhajla

Perhaps it's just my area, but it seems like everyone has had a Metal Zone at some point.  You can pick them up at any pawn shop for like $30.

If you have a metal zone, try this.

guitar into metal zone into Helix... into SV Beast Normal (or bright).

into 8x10 SV Beast cabinet.

I'm not even kidding. I don't know that it's a USABLE sound... but it's really interesting.

We tried this years ago in a music store I worked in with a real SVT and a Metal Zone and some super-start and couldn't believe how amazing it sounded.

• Upvote 1

I doubt it.

I used to love the acoustic guitar amp in the upgrade for HD 500, but my current Acoustic IR->Studio Tube Pre->LA Studio Comp->Parametric EQ is about a million times better sounding.

Is that preset posted anywhere? Would like to check it out. I own plenty of 3Sigma acoustic IRs. I’ve tried the Studio Tube Pre from every direction, IRs, EQs, etc. That pre amp model is a bit harsh for my ears.

Definitely up for some high end reverbs.. Thx!

Is that preset posted anywhere? Would like to check it out. I own plenty of 3Sigma acoustic IRs. I’ve tried the Studio Tube Pre from every direction, IRs, EQs, etc. That pre amp model is a bit harsh for my ears.

Definitely up for some high end reverbs.. Thx!

My own are super esoteric and maybe not helpful.

But dial up those blocks,

First select the 3 Sigma IR that sounds best by itself.

set a lo cut in the IR block to about 90 or 100hz, and set the level to -6db

set the Tube Pre to gain 3.0, level 10, sensitivity line

Leave the LA Studio comp at defaults but turn peak reduction down to about 7 maybe

Set the parametric EQ to boost around 200hz just a teeny bit (I do 2db), cut midfreq at 2.7k just -2db, and boost7.5k about 3.5db.

Leave the Q alone in all three bands except turn the high Q down to about 0.1

See if that works.

• Upvote 1

Leave the LA Studio comp at defaults but turn peak reduction down to about 7 maybe

Set the parametric EQ to boost around 200hz just a teeny bit (I do 2db), cut midfreq at 2.7k just -2db, and boost7.5k about 3.5db.

See if that works.

OK, will set that up and see how it does. Pretty much those device settings are close to mine +/- here and there. However, running the IR into the pre amp might make the difference.. thx

• Upvote 2

I'm not even kidding. I don't know that it's a USABLE sound... but it's really interesting.

We tried this years ago in a music store I worked in with a real SVT and a Metal Zone and some super-start and couldn't believe how amazing it sounded.

I've not tried a metal zone into Helix, or a guitar into an SV Beast, but I've tried a guitar into a Plexi Jump (Helix model that is) into an 8x10 SV Beast. It was a tone unique enough, and one that I liked enough to use it as the lead part in one of my songs. So for me, the cabinet portion of your suggestion above is usable. Not sure where I originally got the idea from about the 8x10, but I think it was from Aris Laf, a forum member here, quite some time ago. It might even have been pre-Helix. The model-pack era of the HD. lol.

please!! mesa mark IIc+

Would be nice, but somehow I do not see the added value since we already have a very nice model IV, that does about the same trick... I have had a mesa quad (essentially a mkIIc married with a mkIII) and I can get in the same ballpark with the mkIV lead model.

If they were going to add another mk model: a classic mk I lead might be nice. That is definately another beast.

• Upvote 1

So you're the one that blows the bottom left speaker in all of those 8x10s...

• Upvote 1

Well, the next firmware version will be 2.50 and will be presented in the Winter NAMM 2018 show held from the 25th-28th January.

According to him (DI) this will be the "controversial firmware" update..

And will include the new HX reverbs...

I want these Controversial Reverbs of the HX variety!!! Yes Please! Can the controversial portions be set to spillover between snapshots? ;)

1c6q10.jpg

Would be nice, but somehow I do not see the added value since we already have a very nice model IV, that does about the same trick... I have had a mesa quad (essentially a mkIIc married with a mkIII) and I can get in the same ballpark with the mkIV lead model.

If they were going to add another mk model: a classic mk I lead might be nice. That is definately another beast.

I've never played a Mark aside from a V but I have a Fractal Axe FX II and my understanding is those models are spot on and I can say that the Mk II and the MK IV models in the AF2 are very different, not just in tone (which can be addressed with EQ) but in feel, I assume its a gain structure thing. If we could only have 1 I would definitely g for the Mk IV but it would certainly be nice to have both.  

• Upvote 1

I want these Controversial Reverbs of the HX variety!!! Yes Please! Can the controversial portions be set to spillover between snapshots? ;)

1c6q10.jpg

Huh? Spillover between snapshots already exists... It's kind of the point of snapshots to an extent. Or was that statement a joke I'm not getting?

I've never played a Mark aside from a V but I have a Fractal Axe FX II and my understanding is those models are spot on and I can say that the Mk II and the MK IV models in the AF2 are very different, not just in tone (which can be addressed with EQ) but in feel, I assume its a gain structure thing. If we could only have 1 I would definitely g for the Mk IV but it would certainly be nice to have both.  

I've owned a Mesa Mark IIc and a Mark III. They were fairly similar in sound, but the Mark III is generally brighter. Even after I exchanged the stock EV speaker with the same Celestion that was in the Mark II, it was brighter. I've never owned a Mark IV, but I've used rented ones on a few gigs and even after a half hour of tweaking, I couldn't get it to sound much like the IIc or the III, at least not the lead channel. It's a different beast. The IIc and the III had some push/pull tone knobs and two of them were mid boosts, one voiced to accentuate low to mid midrange and the other for higher midrange frequencies. That was the secret ingredient to that great lead tone that I loved. And why I was slightly disappointed that the Mark IV was chosen instead of those previous Mesa Mark models. The IIc was my favorite, so yes, I'd welcome a model of it!

I've owned a Mesa Mark IIc and a Mark III. They were fairly similar in sound, but the Mark III is generally brighter. Even after I exchanged the stock EV speaker with the same Celestion that was in the Mark II, it was brighter. I've never owned a Mark IV, but I've used rented ones on a few gigs and even after a half hour of tweaking, I couldn't get it to sound much like the IIc or the III, at least not the lead channel. It's a different beast. The IIc and the III had some push/pull tone knobs and two of them were mid boosts, one voiced to accentuate low to mid midrange and the other for higher midrange frequencies. That was the secret ingredient to that great lead tone that I loved. And why I was slightly disappointed that the Mark IV was chosen instead of those previous Mesa Mark models. The IIc was my favorite, so yes, I'd welcome a model of it!

Push pull. Forgot about those. Especially pull bright was powerful as I remembered. Haven’t had the quad and the helix side by side obviously, has been over 10 years ago that I owned it, but in my head it is in the same ballpark. Might be wrong though. ;-)

Any possibility that acoustic guitar amps would get consideration?

Well, acoustic amps don’t really have an innate sound of their own unlike electric guitar amps. Acoustic amps are essentially very similar to most FRFR systems except that their preamp sections have specific controls to help deal with piezo quack and feedback issues. It would be more practical if Line 6 included a Preamp with those same controls but modeling the rest of the amp won’t do anything to improve your acoustic sound at all.

...but modeling the rest of the amp won’t do anything to improve your acoustic sound at all.

generally, this should be true. But the acoustic amp model in the Line 6 HD 500 vintage expansion pack was actually fantastic with acoustic guitar and I no longer needed to use my outboard acoustic preamp anymore.

That said... the IR solution is, imho, about a zillion times better anyway.

1c6q10.jpg

I think the stuff around it is gonna turn peoples heads.  I figure it is either going to be the FM4 sounds or vocal multieffects patches as the helix is great as a dual guitar/vocal processor but it needs some harmony stuff to make it even better.

generally, this should be true. But the acoustic amp model in the Line 6 HD 500 vintage expansion pack was actually fantastic with acoustic guitar and I no longer needed to use my outboard acoustic preamp anymore.

That said... the IR solution is, imho, about a zillion times better anyway.

Yes, but I'd bet that they only modeled the preamp. For all intents and purposes, the power amp is irrelevant when it comes to an acoustic guitar's tone.

Yes, but I'd bet that they only modeled the preamp. For all intents and purposes, the power amp is irrelevant when it comes to an acoustic guitar's tone.

Unless you are using the Rivera Sedona which has a full on Tube Power Section.  Definitely colours the tone in a realy positive way.

Are we really gonna go there already? Here's how it works... you buy Helix.. you wait... you play it some.. learn how it works.. get the feel for it. When you least expect it.. an update comes! Then you are afraid.. very afraid... will it sound better? Will it erase all my presets? ...And then... you wait..... should I install it or not???? 
Hmmmm... 

Are we really gonna go there already? Here's how it works... you buy Helix.. you wait... you play it some.. learn how it works.. get the feel for it. When you least expect it.. an update comes! Then you are afraid.. very afraid... will it sound better? Will it erase all my presets? ...And then... you wait..... should I install it or not????

Hmmmm...

🤣

Hmmmm... 

You worry too much. 

See if that works.

OK, after a week or so of tweaking this routing, I agree, this works really well. As typical, I use two 3 Sigma IRs in parallel which covers some specific high and low freq mic types and settings. Pretty sweet direct acoustic sounds.

So Line 6 should build and add a few acoustic cabs - then using this routing config - they could easily provide a set of seriously nice acoustic presets built in and ready to go in the Helix.

Thanks again Mr. Hamm

why the big jump// like why not 2.31.. just going right to 2.50? Impressive 

2.30 to 2.31 would be what those of us in the IT world would call a minor release - usually meaning bug fixes or other product enhancements.  Incrementing from 2.30 to 2.50 indicates new software functionality which of course v2.50 does have.  Cheers.   :)

• Upvote 1

I assume you've all seen this (I know - you probably have :D)

Helix Firmware 2.50 (Helix Floor, Rack/Control, LT)

AVAILABLE SOON—DON'T LOOK FOR IT NOW!

New Amps (2)

• Cali Texas Ch2, based on* the drive channel of the MESA/Boogie® Lonestar (Ch1 coming later)
  • Placater Dirty, based on* the BE/HBE channel of the Friedman BE-100 (Clean channel coming later)

* All product names are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with Line 6.

New HX Effects (6)

• Delay > Multi Pass (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original bandpass-filtered multitap delay
  • Reverb > Glitz (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
  • Reverb > Ganymede (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
  • Reverb > Searchlights (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
  • Reverb > Plateaux (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
  • Reverb > Double Tank (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original

New Legacy Effects (77)

Helix Floor, Rack/Control, and LT now include a library of effects from M13, M9, M5, DL4, DM4, FM4, and MM4. These appear in a new "Legacy" subcategory in the model list.

• Distortion > Tube Drive
  • Distortion > Screamer
  • Distortion > Overdrive
  • Distortion > Classic Dist
  • Distortion > Heavy Dist
  • Distortion > Colordrive
  • Distortion > Buzz Saw
  • Distortion > Facial Fuzz
  • Distortion > Jumbo Fuzz
  • Distortion > Fuzz Pi
  • Distortion > Jet Fuzz
  • Distortion > Line 6 Drive
  • Distortion > Line 6 Distortion
  • Distortion > Sub Oct Fuzz
  • Distortion > Octave Fuzz
  • Dynamics > Tube Comp
  • Dynamics > Red Comp
  • Dynamics > Blue Comp
  • Dynamics > Blue Comp Treb
  • Dynamics > Vetta Comp
  • Dynamics > Vetta Juice
  • Dynamics > Boost Comp
  • Modulation > Pattern Tremolo
  • Modulation > Panner
  • Modulation > Bias Tremolo
  • Modulation > Opto Tremolo
  • Modulation > Script Phase
  • Modulation > Panned Phaser
  • Modulation > Barberpole
  • Modulation > Dual Phaser
  • Modulation > U-Vibe
  • Modulation > Phaser
  • Modulation > Pitch Vibrato
  • Modulation > Dimension
  • Modulation > Analog Chorus
  • Modulation > Tri Chorus
  • Modulation > Analog Flanger
  • Modulation > Jet Flanger
  • Modulation > AC Flanger
  • Modulation > 80A Flanger
  • Modulation > Frequency Shift
  • Modulation > Ring Modulator
  • Modulation > Rotary Drum
  • Modulation > Rotary Drm/Horn
  • Delay > Ping Pong
  • Delay > Dynamic
  • Delay > Stereo
  • Delay > Digital
  • Delay > Dig w/ Mod
  • Delay > Reverse
  • Delay > Lo Res
  • Delay > Tube Echo
  • Delay > Tape Echo
  • Delay > Sweep Echo
  • Delay > Echo Platter
  • Delay > Analog Echo
  • Delay > Analog w/ Mod
  • Delay > Auto-Volume Echo
  • Delay > Multi-Head
  • Pitch/Synth > Bass Octaver
  • Pitch/Synth > Smart Harmony
  • Pitch/Synth > Octi Synth
  • Pitch/Synth > Synth O Matic
  • Pitch/Synth > Attack Synth
  • Pitch/Synth > Synth String
  • Pitch/Synth > Growler
  • Filter > Voice Box
  • Filter > V Tron
  • Filter > Q Filter
  • Filter > Seeker
  • Filter > Obi Wah
  • Filter > Tron Up
  • Filter > Tron Down
  • Filter > Throbber
  • Filter > Slow Filter
  • Filter > Spin Cycle
  • Filter > Comet Trails

Improvements/Changes

• If a Snapshot has been given a custom switch color, that switch ring now displays a dim color when not active
  • 12 of Helix’s 17 reverbs originally appeared in M-Class processors and Verbzilla. As such, they’ve been moved into the new “Legacy†subcategory within the Reverb category
  • Helix's tempo no longer responds to pressing TAP at tempi lower than 40.0 BPM (Beats Per Minute). This is to ensure that multiple fast tap entries are recognized properly, as previously, they could be seen as one really slow tap entry. You may still manually select a tempo all the way down to 20.0 BPM and your presets can still be saved with tempi down to 20.0 BPM—just touch TAP and turn Knob 6 (BPM)