Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Stompbox, Amps & Cabs names vs "actual" names

ferkjl

I will receive my Helix LT tomorrow.  From the moment I placed the order online and today I've been reading the manual and this forum, and realized that the names used by Helix for the modelled amps, cabs and effects are different that the actual ones they emulate (I guess for obvious trademark and intellectual property reasons).  Has anyone tried to put together a "translation" list of sorts for these names?

• 2 years later...

This is one of the most frustrating things with the Helix.

it seems ridiculous that it is somehow illegal to name the Amps and effects after the ones they are meant to sound like.

You are mentioning a name not stealing some sort of patent.

I find it silly and to be honest somewhat scary how extreme this copyright and trademark nonsense has gotten.

AT LEAST let us rename the Amps, Caps and effects ourselves.

This silly naming convention adds so much time when researching how to dial in a sound.

Even when I am able to find out which hardware was used, I then have to look up everything again to translate it into what it is called inside the Helix.

Wasn't there something like free speech that is supposed to be so important to Americans ?

It's not really that consistent with reality if corporations can just buy exclusive rights to strings of letters.

If you would call your company Fender while a well established company by that name has existed for many years  OK there is a point to made... But this is just silly.

So please Line 6, if you have to follow nonsensical laws at least make it possible for the user to assign names as they want to.

Just make the name a text file that we can edit and share.

Sorry for the rant

21 minutes ago, ThorCrowley said:

it seems ridiculous that it is somehow illegal to name the Amps and effects after the ones they are meant to sound like.

I find it silly and to be honest somewhat scary how extreme this copyright and trademark nonsense has gotten.

This silly naming convention adds so much time when researching how to dial in a sound.

Even when I am able to find out which hardware was used, I then have to look up everything again to translate it into what it is called inside the Helix.

Wasn't there something like free speech that is supposed to be so important to Americans ?

It's not really that consistent with reality if corporations can just buy exclusive rights to strings of letters.

If you would call your company Fender while a well established company by that name has existed for many years  OK there is a point to made... But this is just silly.

So please Line 6, if you have to follow nonsensical laws at least make it possible for the user to assign names as they want to.

Sorry for the rant

You can actually rename in the blocks you have saved as Favorites whatever you want. So if you want to have a Favorite called Fender Twin or whatever, go ahead.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ThorCrowley said:

Sorry for the rant

This isn't a patent...this is a copyright.  This has nothing to do with free speech.  It has to do with protecting the investment you've made in a brand name.  But if you're not so hot on copyrights we'll bear that in mind if you get a song published and want some royalties for it.

Personally I don't use my eyes for dialing in an amp or effect.  That's what ears are for....

• Like 1

Just now, DunedinDragon said:

This isn't a patent...this is a copyright.  This has nothing to do with free speech.  It has to do with protecting the investment you've made in a brand name.  But if you're not so hot on copyrights we'll bear that in mind if you get a song published and want some royalties for it.

Personally I don't use my eyes for dialing in an amp or effect.  That's what ears are for....

Well, technically, trademark... But I think giving the users the ability to change the default name of every block would probably be a grey area that Line 6 doesn’t feel would be worth the risk.

• Like 1

1st post and thats what you lead with? lol....wow....first of all welcome!!  Secondly, its not just Line 6 that does that, Boss, Fractal, TC Electronic and others that I have used have done this for a variety of valid legal reasons.  lol....

...as stated, use favorites then to rename everything how you want.  Well, 128 things how you want. 

Thank you for your exceedingly helpful reply DunedinDragon

Weirdly enough I tend to use my eyes to read text at times maybe you don't, but we all have personal preferences and abilities.

Although technically not speech I guess the free speech idea commonly includes the written word.

I was talking about the general idea of being able to name things without needing permission for it.

If you enjoy these restrictions, that is totally fine with me.

I did not mean to offend your world view.

Thank you Phil_m for the info.

I will try using the favorite function, this will actually help a lot :)

I think you are right on the trademark and the risk Line 6 is not willing to take.

I still find it strange that this would be illegal. After all its just a company name or a device name that is mentioned. (not taken or misused)

like when I would say I painted my guitar green like the Ibanez tube screamer I am referring  to a company and a property of one of their products ;)

I realize that this might be a somewhat different case but it is more the principle itself I find disagreeable.

Of course it is a mute point since, as history shows we have basically no influence on laws especially when it comes to things like these.

I appreciate your comments

Stay safe and healthy

5 minutes ago, ThorCrowley said:

Of course it is a mute point since, as history shows we have basically no influence on laws especially when it comes to things like these.....

Actually, history shows that in a democracy ‘we’ have all the influence. We elect the lawmakers. If we don’t like the laws they enact or the way they govern ‘we’ can throw them out and replace them with people we believe will do better. (Seems to me that’s a rather timely observation.)

• Like 1

@themetallikid

Yes my first post!

And thank you for the warm welcome.

I was not aware that there was a protocol for choosing a particular order of topic to post first.

I also failed to notice that that, Boss, Fractal, TC Electronic and others do the same which of course makes it so much better.

Sine this is a Line 6 forum I chose to address what frustrates me while using the Line 6 helix.

If I hurt your feeling in any way please accept my apology.

I was hoping to have a reasonable discussion.

I don't think how anybody could be personally offended by questioning policies like these.

stay safe and healthy

@silverhead

That is a nice sentiment, but since this is not a political forum I would like to refrain from going deeper into this.

The influence normal people have on laws in the US is well documented and have been documented.

If you are interested you can find ample statistics on this on the internet

My apologies for being vague on this but like i mentioned this might be outside of the topic range for this forum.

4 hours ago, ThorCrowley said:

if you have to follow nonsensical laws

Thor - is that copyright Marvel?

Crowley - is that  copyright Aleister (Edward Alexander) Crowley the Great Beast 666

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. 

“I cannot imagine something more frustrating more arrogant more insane and pretentious than the Human species.”

Can we quote you on that, or is it borrowed from someone else?

H O G D.

It’s a kinda magick.

@datacommando

Sure quote all you  like  :)

And thank you for your thoughtful insight on the topic of the discussion..

you  know that topic that you are so interested, in that you  could not even hint to it in your post.

Is there any meaningful you would like to contribute to the topic or are you  just outraged that your world view is questioned ?

10 hours ago, ThorCrowley said:

@datacommando

Sure quote all you  like  :)

And thank you for your thoughtful insight on the topic of the discussion..

you  know that topic that you are so interested, in that you  could not even hint to it in your post.

Is there any meaningful you would like to contribute to the topic or are you  just outraged that your world view is questioned ?

Oooh! Sorry young man.

I just felt the uncontrollable urge to be as ridiculous as you.

Stay safe and well.

• Like 1

Well it simply boils down to money spent on intellectual naming rights.  

If I want a BMW car I can either go buy one and spend $40k+ for an actual BMW...BMW is happy, I'm happy life carries on.  However if my neighborhood garage junky puts together a car and slaps a BMW label on it, is it really a BMW, it might look, drive and be priced like a BMW, but its not a BMW.  And by spending money elsewhere, it shortchanges the actual brand.  

If Mesa/Marshall (etc) licensed/endorsed the use of their names in these devices it would/could potentially drive people away from spending 2k-3k on he actual amps.  Those companies have come out with the 'toaster' amps and drive pedals that emulates their own technology, but if they were to endorse their name in the Helix...it could/would water down their actual direct sales money.  Sure they would get a chunk of money maybe in royalties or initial up front usage rights fees....but I doubt for Line 6 its worth it monetarily to do so.  Everyone can search the internet and find the correlated names and it prevents legal battles.

if I spent a lifetime building a brand, reputation and product, I would want a pretty penny for it to be used on something I wouldnt normally see any direct revenue from too

20 hours ago, ThorCrowley said:

I was hoping to have a reasonable discussion.

I don't think how anybody could be personally offended by questioning policies like these.

"Questioning Policies"? It's LAW, not policy. You can't use another company's registered trademark. It really is that simple 

I suspect Line 6 doesn't use the real names because they wanted to stay in business, not because they thought it would benefit them to come up with clever/cute names. 

Pages 29 - 38 in the new Helix 3.0 Manual lists the models. The 3rd column of each is the "based on *" description. You will notice that every time (catch that... EVERY TIME) a word or phrase that is a registered trademark is mentioned it includes either the R symbol. It's law, not policy. 

Page 45 of the manual is a full disclaimer and pays respect to every company involved. 

22 hours ago, ThorCrowley said:

Silly? Scary?

IMO, that would better describe a world without these laws.