Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

vocals

phldtr

I don't believe there are any presets in Helix specifically for vocals. I would start with the "Studio Tube Pre" preamp and then add any desired effects after. There's been some good effect suggestions from other users on this post. 

I don't believe there are any presets in Helix specifically for vocals. I would start with the "Studio Tube Pre" preamp and then add any desired effects after. There's been some good effect suggestions from other users on this post. 

Indeed, I started with the Studio Tube Pre because that seemed logical.

But I must admit I've thought about is and I really don't know why this is logical.

If you don't go through Helix you wouldn't use a pre amp but just connect the microphone to the table through XLR.

Why use a pre amp now? Does anyone know?

But I must admit I've thought about is and I really don't know why this is logical.

If you don't go through Helix you wouldn't use a pre amp but just connect the microphone to the table through XLR.

Color and Gain Adjustments. Not really necessary if you're getting enough level to the FOH already.

It adds some "warmness" or perhaps a slight gain boost depending on the set up. 

A lot of vocal effects processors add warmness as a starting point and I'm sure recording studios do as well (along with compression and D-essing).  

My vox path setup is:  Studio Tube Preamp>Reverb>EQ>Compression>Noise Gate.  Very little of each.  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I am hoping the Helix is intuitive for me because when I used Sonar (or any simple recording software) I was able to create FX chains with, say WAVES plugins.  I loved using Vintage Warmer on Vox first in the chain to boost levels and add a whispery presence.  I've just unpacked my new Helix and have been through the manuals and now combing boards for tips before even plugging her in!  Thanks for all the good advice, everybody!  Happy Birthday to me! 

On 1/3/2018 at 6:21 PM, talwilkins said:

It's not hard to make one yourself.

I have my microphone going through a path on most patches.

Use a few effects for a couple of numbers: Phlanger, pitch shifter and Megaphone distortion.

If you have some patches that don't have your mic going through a path, how does the sound get through the helix to the PA?

3 hours ago, Thurston9 said:

If you have some patches that don't have your mic going through a path, how does the sound get through the helix to the PA?

It won't! 

There must be a signal path for your Mike to get to Helix's Output Block.

Helix's Default Input Block configuration is: "Multi". This serves only Guitar In, AuxIn, and Variax. 

If you are using the Mic XLR Input you will need to reconfigure a Signal Path's Input Block to use the Mic Input. 

If you are using a 1/4" Mic connection to one of the FX Returns you would need to insert an FX Return Block in your Signal Path, or, redefine the Input Block of the selected Signal Path to use the FX Return Block. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 1:15 AM, MusicLaw said:

Do you find it too cumbersome to define one of Helix's unused Signal Paths to use the Mic Input Block and route the Output Block to the desired output? 

Just saw this.  Not sure cumbersome is the right word, there are patches I use that use all 4 lanes so I don't have one to spare for vocals.

Ah! Well if all four of your Signal Path Input Blocks are allocated, your remaining input option would be your FX Returns and inserting a FX Return block in your Signal Path. You would need to externally increase your Mic's signal level to Instrument Level perhaps via a small mixer (and provide phantom power, if needed) before bringing the signal into Helix's FX Return Block.