Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV69 and JTV69US pickups the same?

Hello.
We use Korean version JTV69 satisfactorily.
I have planned a guitar upgrade and recently purchased a US version JTV69US model.
The sales site says that the pickups of JTV69 model of Korea and US JTV69US model are different from each other. In fact, I have confirmed that the same model from the same manufacturer applies.
Attach a comparative photograph.
Another thing, I know that the US version of the neck applies to the roll edge fingerboard, but not to the model I purchased. The model was made in 2011.
Is not it fake, is not it? Of course, everything works fine, and wood is great.

post-1273494-0-51042400-1515045381_thumb.jpg

post-1273494-0-63006900-1515045388_thumb.jpg

post-1273494-0-72125200-1515045397_thumb.jpg

post-1273494-0-81867500-1515045404_thumb.jpg

The Korean and US models have the same pickups... I have never seen anything saying that the pickups on the US models are different than the Korean models. The necks on the US version are quarter-sawn. I'm not sure about the roll-edge. I don't recall seeing that called out specifically anywhere. Where did you buy it from? I can't imagine it's a fake? I believe the serial numbers on the US versions start with a "US".

The Korean and US models have the same pickups... I have never seen anything saying that the pickups on the US models are different than the Korean models. The necks on the US version are quarter-sawn. I'm not sure about the roll-edge. I don't recall seeing that called out specifically anywhere. Where did you buy it from? I can't imagine it's a fake? I believe the serial numbers on the US versions start with a "US".

The edge of the fingerboard is called a rolled edge. It is basically applied to James Tyler.

James+Tyler++and+its+perfect+fretjob+1.j

Rolled edge? IMO, these images appear to depict a lightly-scalloped fingerboard. It's difficult to see if there's a radius that would be what I consider a 'rolled' edge.

Not being argumentative, just the way I see it...

To be honest, I haven't before heard the term, but it seems like some radiusing would be common to relieve the sharp break over the top of the fingerboard. My (Korean) JTV59 has a bit of relief, and I never gave it a second thought. Seems like most of my guitars do. Now I'll have to go look at 'em!

Rolled edge? IMO, these images appear to depict a lightly-scalloped fingerboard. It's difficult to see if there's a radius that would be what I consider a 'rolled' edge.

Not being argumentative, just the way I see it...

To be honest, I haven't before heard the term, but it seems like some radiusing would be common to relieve the sharp break over the top of the fingerboard. My (Korean) JTV59 has a bit of relief, and I never gave it a second thought. Seems like most of my guitars do. Now I'll have to go look at 'em!

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=301501334395&category=33034&pm=1&ds=0&t=1515281510832&cspheader=1

The images of the linked pages are likely to be easy to understand. Most original guitars made by James Tyler have a type of neck that is often called rolled edges (or rolled fretboard edges). It is also the same JTV of American production. :)

Thanks for the explanation and additional imagery. It does clear things up for me, to the extent that I can understand the difference between rolled edges and a scalloped fingerboard. As a traditionalist -- make that old guy -- can't say that I like the appearance. Could be that I liked how it feels, if I were to try to play one, though...

Ya never know!  :)

US version:: The rolled edge and scalloping are not factory, that would be a 3rd party custom job and not Line 6.

And the US serial numbers for the Line 6, US JTV's have no letter designation in front of it.

Those would be custom or a non Line 6 from Tyler himself.

The edge of the fingerboard is called a rolled edge. It is basically applied to James Tyler.

James+Tyler++and+its+perfect+fretjob+1.j

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=301501334395&category=33034&pm=1&ds=0&t=1515281510832&cspheader=1

The images of the linked pages are likely to be easy to understand. Most original guitars made by James Tyler have a type of neck that is often called rolled edges (or rolled fretboard edges). It is also the same JTV of American production. :)

The US-made JTVs don't have that sort of detail... That is a pretty extreme rolled edge. I've seen Fender necks with rolled edges, but they're not nearly that noticeable. Anyway, it's never been an advertised feature of the US JTVs.

Note to my ears, the magnetic pickups on the Variax Standard are a bit better than the JTV-69S. I was surprised by that and decided not to migrate my left over JTV-69S pickups to my Variax Standard when I replaced them. Of course, that’s pretty subjective.